Today's public talk: shameless indoctrination

by OneEyedJoe 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Today's talk was really somethin'. So much so that I felt compelled to post this during the WT study...

I didn't pay attention to the theme, but where I to title the talk it would be "Logical fallacy, scripture out of context, and phobia indoctrination: a case study in cult indoctrination.". That's certainly a more honest title than whatever they gave, I'm sure.

It starts out by saying that sometimes people are skeptical about things they're told, and feel compelled to look for evidence of the claims. Already I'm thinking "oh, this is gonna be good." The example was given of someone claiming that a strawberry wasn't technically a berry, but bananas are, the speaker says "that may sound hard to believe." He then goes on to describe in generic terms the concept of a literal Satan as a personal entity, saying that even some theologians endorse the view that Satan is just a metaphors for evil. His proof that Satan is a literal person was to quote a few scriptures, all of which where some variation of "the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.". The fun part was that in each case, if you replaced "Satan" with "evil" the scripture still made sense, and sometimes it made more sense that the scripture was using the devil as a metaphors for human tendency towards evil. He then asserted that if you believed in the idea of Satan being a metaphor for evil, you'd have to throw out all the teachings of Jesus, the apostles and a few others because they said he was a person (even though that wasn't necessarily the case). I've never heard such a compelling argument to believe that Satan isnt a real person! He sums up this topic by asserting (in what's known as an appeal to consequences) that without a personal entity of Satan, you have no satisfying answers for such evil as rape, murder warfare, etc. Not to mention the fact that as an atheist, I've found quite satisfying answers to the world's conditions.

Next up he goes into a long tirade about pop music, TV shows, the occult, etc. (BTW, we're now 15-20 minutes in and no scriptures read from the bible) on the topic of the occult, he asks if we may watch movies or TV shows featuring the occult and say that it doesn't affect you because you only see it as a story of fiction. Then he directs us to the first scripture of the day: 2 Corinthians 11:3, which read in the context of his talk seems to be a word of caution about how sneaky Satan is and warning not to be tempted by him. The problem is, that if you read the next verse, it is clearly a warning against being tempted by others who preach a version of Jesus that doesn't match what paul preached. Now, who do we know of that preaches a version oof Jesus that's not supported by scripture? Just saying...

He closes with some strong phobia indoctrination. He asks us to imagine (a common technique used to bypass critical thinking) being in a storm cellar while an EF-5 tornado rages outside. He asks, "are you tempted to open the hatch and peak outside to see if it's really as dangerous as you're told?" My thought was that of I was born in the cellar, and never heard any wind raging outside, yeah I might be tempted to look out. Not to see if the storm was as dangerous as I was told, but to see if it even existed. You probably know where he was going - we're safe in "the organization" and shouldn't be tempted by anything in the world, no matter how innocent it may seem. So, if you leave the organization (or so much as watch an episode of the walking dead), its the same as walking into a tornado.

I really need to get out of this cult. I can't stand listening to this BS much longer.

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

It's funny you bring this talk up. I just got an email from an Elder here who organizes bethel tours and sends invites in mass Emails. The plan is to travel to Disney world then to bethel. So first stop:MAGIC KINGDOM. Next stop: GODS KINGDOM. Talk about HIPOCRACY!!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Do you have family that keeps you trapped in? If not, just get the hell out of there. I swear, if I was single, I would be long gone....

DD

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Two things this religion repels is intelligence and critical thinking.

Fear has been the biggest catalyst the WTS. uses and provokes, not only to allure people

to the organization itself but also to retain them by utilizing mental indoctrination.

Fear of this, fear of that wrapped in the unfailing protection of god's earthly organization, the lying and corrupt

Watchtower Corporation .

• Finkelstein
  • NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

So-called religious folks have been preaching about the dangers of 'Pop music' for decades. First it was Elvis, then The Bestles, then Alice Cooper, and later Marilyn Manson. Of course, the world somehow does't end from the influence of these musicians. The same applied to R-rated films. Naturally the Witnesses are afraid of anything new and different that threatens their constipated world-view. That's why virtually all Witnesses tend to look and act the same. So it's no wonder that intelligent members are leaving the Watchtower cult in droves.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

DD the only reason I'm still going is for my wife. I'd be fine if my family summed me, and I don't have many friends in, but I feel like I owe her as much to try to make something like a graceful exit. I think I've given up trying to wake her up before I leave, but I want her to at least have some understanding of why I'm leaving.

This sort of talk (really, just about every talk) always used to irritate me as I was always aware of the fallacy and fear mongering, but now that the "it's for a good reason" justification is out of my head, I just can't stand it.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

You wonder why JWS are so nervously aware of Satan's evil forces trying to invade their bodies and mind.

Good old fear mongering at its best.

But you can protect yourself if you keep close to god's organization and keep reading are literature to find out how.

Demons Demons everywhere.

Remember Satan has little time left of this earth so he and his forces are especially strong and pervading.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

If it walks likes a parrot, gawks like a parrot and squawks like a parrot, it is a parrot!

Have there ever been a single speaker giving an original talk, based on independent research and original thinking? I haven't heard one in my entire life..

So thats it in a nutshell. If you gonna go into a coal mine you're gonna get black. If you gonna go to a KH, you're are gonna get a kingdom full of parroted s*** .

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Correction "Has there ever been..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit