11-15 WT- Drinking before meetings

by Absalom 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

You and me both, DD

There needs to be a scotch emoticon.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

So parents are not to morn their DF'd children's death when they are scorched by Jah for drinking on a wrong occasion, but, we are to tolerate Elders with booze on their breath when they stand on the platform and tell us to preach not the gospel, but JW.ORG?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

WTF! All those years I didn't drink before the meetings because of that stupid scripture and now JWs can!!! I guess it helps to be a little happy on the loosening juice before the meetings!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I hope a few DWI incidents in the newspapers will bring embarrassment to the jokehovians. Let them drink before the meetings, and then drive, and I hope they all get stopped by the cops and end up in jail for DWI instead of at the boasting sessions. Then I hope these stories end up written up in the newspapers.

If you are going to drink, do not drive while drunk. Worse than a ticket, you could cause an accident--and I bet there will be plenty of those as well.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I can walk to my KH. I can slam a drink and be there before it gets in the bloodstream. No harm,no foul. Seriously though, I don't feel the need to drink before meetings anymore. In fact, I thinks it's dangerous and makes you more susceptible to external stressors. Anxiety made me want to drink. Anxiety is caused by a feeling of helplessness. The more YOU take control, the less anxiety you will experience. You need to actively protect your psyche.

The most effective method is to simply not go. If you must go, you need to discipline your mind to recognize and block out/discard the propaganda. Then you must focus on reality the rest of the week and reinforce actual truths into your subconscious. Learn to meditate and focus your mind on what you want.

There is no such thing as passive meeting attendance. You are affected whether you admit it or not. If you are not consciously fighting, you are subconsciously accepting. If you are a fader and must go, learn to protect yourself.

DD

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Drunkedness would make it all sound logical.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember a couple was studying both alcoholics and in recovery going to AA. They asked me if it was normal that so many to come to the meeting with alcohol on their breath..........mmmm....I had not noticed but they were sensitive to the smell because of their background. They were surprised that Christians were come to worship impaired.

I told an elder and he told me the same thing that it was your decision BUT if someone could be offended, not to do it.

Another both sides of the mouth comment..........

*** w04 12/1 p. 21 par. 15 Maintain a Balanced View of the Use of Alcohol ***

And would it not be kind to refrain from drinking in the presence of someone who has had a problem with alcoholism or whose conscience disapproves of drinking? Jehovah commanded those performing priestly duties at the tabernacle: “Do not drink wine or intoxicating liquor . . . when you come into the tent of meeting, that you may not die.” (Leviticus 10:8, 9) Therefore, avoid drinking alcoholic beverages just before attending Christian meetings, when sharing in the ministry, and when caring for other spiritual responsibilities.

• Comatose
    Comatose

I drank before meeting for the last few months. One meeting I left discreetly and drove home to take several swigs of Jack from the bottle then pop a breath mint and drive back to act like nothing was going on.

• steve2
    steve2

My JW family were teetotalers and we have remained that way - parents now both deceased but all my siblings, including 2 still in. Easily, we were the exception. I never considered it a big deal - but the interesting thing is we got lots of looks and comments about us thinking we were better than others.

Perhaps the fact that we didn't consume alcohol made those who did feel uncomfortable. To the best of my knowledge, my parents did not make a big deal out of it - but let's just say, they often felt constrained to explain their "stand". I honestly couldn't imagine this need to explain not drinking alcohol occurring in any other religion - with the exception of the Exclusive Brethren who are big drinkers.

So I was 23 and about to give my first complete talk (as ministerial servant) in my home congregation on saturday evening. That morning I went into the field service and did a return visit: two middle aged Russian men. We talked about the Bible, about Russia. And hey... I HAD TO try their Vodka! They really insisted. So I agreed to take one. But after that the glass was filled again. So in the end I had about 3 of 4 glasses of real good Vodka.

The talk in the evening went great (for a 23 year old).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit