11-15 WT- Drinking before meetings

by Absalom 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Absalom
    Absalom

To be holy, we must weigh the Scriptures carefully and do what God asks of us. Consider Aaron’s sons Nadab and Abihu, who were executed for offering “unauthorized fire,” perhaps while inebriated. (Lev. 10:1, 2) Note what God then told Aaron. (Read Leviticus 10:8-11.) Does that passage mean that we must not drink anything alcoholic before going to a Christian meeting? Think about these points: We are not under the Law. (Rom. 10:4) In some lands, our fellow believers use alcoholic beverages in moderation at meals before attending meetings. Four cups of wine were used at the Passover. When instituting the Memorial, Jesus had his apostles drink wine that represented his blood. (Matt. 26:27) The Bible condemns heavy drinking and drunkenness. (1 Cor. 6:10; 1 Tim. 3:8) And many Christians would feel impelled by their conscience to abstain completely from alcoholic beverages before engaging in any form of sacred service. However, circumstances vary from one country to another, and the important thing is for Christians to “distinguish between the holy thing and the profane” so as to conduct themselves with holiness that pleases God.

We can now drink before meetings! Drink up

• cultBgone
  • sparky1
    sparky1

This will make a lot of ELDERS happy. Now they don't have to wait to go home after the meeting to start drinking!!!!!!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

It sounds as if they are cutting the brothers some slack in countries or cultures where it is traditional to drink wine with dinner. I have a feeling they aren't trying to say that it's OK to stop at Happy Hour on the way to the Kingdom Hall for the meeting. The reference to 'circumstances varying from one country to another' leads me to believe that in the USA, for example, where it is not typical for most people to drink alcohol on a daily basis with dinner, the rules will be pretty much what they were. Sort of like when the Watchtower said that voting was a conscience matter.

• 88JM
    88JM

Rutherford would be pleased.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

I can hardly sit through a meeting without a nice buzz on anyway so... Nice of them to accomodate me!

• losingit
    losingit

That last year I was a jw I usually went with a few glasses of wine or a few shots of alcohol on me. God, I hated the meetings , they were such torture. A room full of hypocritical pious ppl. :-(

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

yeah, the meetings are way more fun when you're rocking a buzz. It just adds a level of risk and intrigue to the whole affair.

On the down side, I've managed to miss a few meetings by getting my wife a little buzzed before hand after a stressful day. Those days may be over if she reads this.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I know a few elders who will enjoy reading that and will def see it as the green light to hoist a few before heading out for the KHall.

Doc

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

We can now drink before meetings!

I think that goes without saying. How else could a person sit through it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit