God is love, but if you dont love him back he will slaughter you!

by BU2B 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BU2B
    BU2B

This was one of the things that first got me thinking. I noticed how in books like "Draw close to Jehovah" they paint God as a loving, warm, just God who does not desire any to die. There are scriptures that support the notion that God is loving.

I got some serious Cognitive Dissonance when I began to realize that if you do not do as he tells you, or love him from the heart, he will kill you. Can you imagine a human parent like that? How can you be truly free when you must love a invisible entity, and must be from the heart, or he will slaughter you? When I read of YHWH actions in Caanan, Noahs flood, killing others for King Davids mistakes etc, I saw injustice. Just because God does something does not make it right or moral. I began to realize that although I still believed and wanted to be a good little JW, that I did not love God from the heart. I grew to despise him and view him as a monster, all the while still believing in him just by reading his alleged word. I could not love him at all, let alone with my whole heart. The Bible states that we are supposed to love him from the heart, not out of compulsion. Well, if the threat of being brutally killed in armageddon if you do not love YHWH is not compulsion, what is? He is literally like a psycopath holding a gun to your head and saying, love me, serve me or ill kill you. Sometimes in those situations, the victim begins to feel love and care for his captor serving them and even feeling a sense of love for them. I believe that JWs among other believers in the God of the Bible are suffering from mass stockholm syndrome.

Even warm fuzzy Jesus says, put faith in me or die. Or go to hell depending on your understanding of Revelation. I cannot and will not be pressured into loving anything or anyone under threat of death. Those entities, real or imagined do not deserve my love or worship. I consider the very Idea of YHWH and his personality reprehensible, and it disturbs me to see people defend the horrible things we read about in the Lie-bel.

• designs
    designs

The Abusive Father syndrome, very popular....

• cofty
    cofty

It is not possible for any christian to genuinely love the god of the bible.

I am certain there is a close parallel with the unhealthy relationship between an abused wife and a tyranical husband.

I have often referred to the Stockholm Syndrome. I believe it is a valid comparison.

• sir82
    sir82

"If I can't have you, no one will"

Spoken by a human, an indicator of psychopathy.

Spoken by God, an expression of "loyal love".

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Only wack religions or people seriously believe God or Jesus would do this kind of thing. I'm not a person who believes the Bible was penned by God.

This is from my JWN profile:

Please measure your god against this scripture:
    ''He that does not love has not come to know God because God is love.'' 1 John 4:8 ******
    While doing that keep in mind 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8 .*****

If God is love then: 4 Love is patient,v love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.w 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking,x it is not easily angered,y it keeps no record of wrongs.z 6 Love does not delight in evila but rejoices with the truth.b 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.c

8 Love never fails.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Just wanted to add that just by reading Genesis alone and with a truly open mind, you will see how tyrannical, jealous, insecure, and petty this YHWH is. Think of the Garden of Eden, the Flood, the tower of Babel, etc. How anyone can take these stories literally and still love this charachter I will never understand. I think these scriptures give a perfect view of how insecure and petty this false god is.

Genesis 3

And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever."

So the LORD God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken.

Genesis 11

But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

8 So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city.

• cofty
    cofty

Only wack religions or people seriously believe God or Jesus would do this kind of thing. - FHN

The vast majority of christians believe that unbelievers will be punished to some extent. Christianity is fundamentally abusive and manipulative.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

"If I can't have you, no one will"

Spoken by a human, an indicator of psychopathy.

Spoken by God, an expression of "loyal love".

BUTB, you could benefit from reading this book, written by an ex JW:

Jehovah Unmasked

http://www.amazon.com/Jehovah-Unmasked-Nathaniel-J-Merritt/dp/1411651472/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'm not Christian. I find it interesting that the scriptures I sited show the opposite of the God in the OP.

I don't know how many Christians believe that God is exclusive and murderous. I do know that significant amounts do not believe that.

Those entities, real or imagined do not deserve my love or worship.

Exactly. That's how you can tell they are made up by abusive people, to control other people.

• cofty
    cofty

I find it interesting that the scriptures I sited show the opposite of the God in the OP. - FHN

Of course we all know you can cherry-pick texts to make the bible say anything you want.

Th OP is spot-on. The christian gospel is abusive. Jesus was abusive and manipulative.

The entire bible can be summed up as the story of how to gain the rewards of being god's buddy and avoid the punishments of doing otherwise.

It is insulting for anybody to suggest that an intelligent 21st century person ought to take it seriously.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit