Thoughts on the new 'God's Kingdom Rules!' book

by sd-7 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sd-7
    sd-7

I was feeling a little melancholy earlier this week and I decided to start reading WT literature again, just to see what was new and improved. And it seems that, as has consistently been the case, the more I read of the literature, the more I see that I made the right choice to leave.

The first chapter goes into explaining what the Kingdom is, then it looks like they must've essentially cut and pasted from the recent WT study articles about the 'harvest' illustration and about the two groups of anointed = one generation, but there's a third group of anointed who aren't part of 'this generation' (but, I imagine, probably will be someday, I mean, if two groups decades apart in age can be part of one generation, why not three?). It's interesting, looking at it again after all this time. Just seeing how much butchering of scripture happens, I mean.

Jesus himself explains the meaning of the harvest illustration. He says that the harvest is a 'conclusion of a system of things'--not the BEGINNING of a conclusion of a system of things. He also says the reapers are angels. Then very clearly, he's talking about doing a judging, not unlike at the end of Matthew 25. So how does the Watchtower suggest that the harvest work is done by humans? It flies in the face of scripture. What's more, it elevates the JWs to a status that is, well, usurping the role of the angels and the one who would be assigning them to gather the wheat. I would've thought that since they stopped teaching that the preaching work is not separating the sheep from the goats (that's still true, right?), that logically, it would be inconsistent for them to teach that JWs are or have been in any way involved in the harvest. Hmm.

But the 'generation' discussion really highlights one big thing for me, and it called to mind my judicial committee as I was talking about this: the Governing Body is not just wrong repeatedly, but remains unrepentant in their attitude as far as making predictions about when the end will come. Even after being wrong 4 (probably more, but I'll lump the 'generation' stuff pre-1995 into one big error) different times, they still don't see it. Except that they do see it, if the late Ray Franz is to be believed. They need another date, but they need to avoid the risk of being too specific. Hence, a 'generation'. This also demonstrates that the Governing Body is very conscious of what they are saying and doing. They're not just sincere men trying to do the right thing; they are carefully crafting predictions like this on purpose because they hope it will generate more recruitment and more fear.

It seemed like a strange way to end the chapter, considering how convoluted the concept is. The chart should get people to think--but if you can't see that you and your dad aren't of the same generation, well...I feel bad for you.

Chapter 2 was as far as I could get before I had to just stop reading. I'm sure they probably said it in the Proclaimers book before, but reading that C.T. Russell was a modern-day fulfillment of Malachi 3:1 was just too much. Once you've read the literature from the 1914-1919 era...you just cannot, cannot believe that anything written then was fulfilling some kind of Bible prophecy. But it got worse as the discussion went on.

They gave examples of Watchtower instructions/teachings and then went on to imply that basically, if the Watchtower magazine did not provide this sort of guidance, then Jesus would not have found any true Christians on earth when he returned in 1914. One can hardly imagine a more arrogant, presumptuous thing to say. It is to say, "Without us, without the Watchtower literature, Jesus Christ would have failed to preserve anyone as one of his followers." One wonders if they believe in Jesus Christ at all with a statement like that, because it sounds an awful lot like The Watchtower is more powerful than Jesus.

Well, I don't have the book in front of me, so I can't post exact quotes--and I doubt you guys will read a thread this long anyway. But if I have time, I'll try to revisit this thread and post some quotes, particularly from Chapter 2.

--sd-7

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

All I know is the WT has gone grey. The Bible is ugly grey. And the Kingdom book is dismally grey. "Dark days are here, men live in fear," no kidding.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I can see them pushing the idea that jws are doing the seperating/ judging work again because they need a reason for people to keep going out in service.

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

I think thats exactly what it is crazyguy. There is no real reason to go out. They need to create some artificial sense of inportantance to the advertizing

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

sd-7: The first chapter goes into explaining what the Kingdom is, then it looks like they must've essentially cut and pasted from the recent WT study articles about the 'harvest' illustration and about the two groups of anointed = one generation, but there's a third group of anointed who aren't part of 'this generation' (but, I imagine, probably will be someday, I mean, if two groups decades apart in age can be part of one generation, why not three?).

You are absolutely right: there are THREE GROUPS, not two!

This Overlapping Generation teaching is really complete nonsense.

Nevertheless, I was trying to wrap my head around the latest "update" to it in the WT Study article that introduced this "adjustment"; not to try and understand it--because, hey, it's nonsense--but to make clear to any lurkers how silly and implausible it all is. - Watchtower, January 15, 2014, p. 30-31, paragraphs 14 - 16.

Here's my take on it:

OG 2.0

So, apparently, there are now three groups of "anointed" ones:

1. Those anointed before 1914
    2. Those anointed after 1914, but before the death of the last of those in group #1.
    3. Those anointed after the death of the last person in group #1. (See point #2 above)

Although not mentioned in the article, the key person in this concept is Frederick William Franz. Born in 1893, Franz was baptized in 1913 or 1914, making him part of the first group. He is also presumably the last person of the first group to die. Franz died on December 22, 1992.

According to this week's WT, the first two groups comprise the "this generation" that Jesus mentioned at Matthew 24:34, albeit in an "overlapping" manner. The third group is explicitly NOT part of "this generation."

The implication is that the newest member to the GB, Mark Sanderson, is categorically NOT a member of the "second part" of the "overlapping generation." It is not likely that he began partaking until AFTER Fred Franz died.

This is, I believe, the reason why this week's WT came up with the third group of "anointed ones."

Thus, not every anointed person today is included in “this generation” of whom Jesus spoke.- WT, January 15, 2014, p. 31, paragraph 16

Classic cult damage control to explain away Marky-Mark.

Careful readers of this week's study article will note that it contained so scriptural references or evidence of any kind to support this new twist on the "Overlapping Generation" idea. It is all just unfounded assertion.

But hey, who needs evidence when you're the leaders of a cult.

- -

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

sd-7: if you can't see that you and your dad aren't of the same generation, well...I feel bad for you.

How many generations do you see in these pictures?

IF YOU ANSWERED 3, YOU ARE WRONG

The overlapping generation doctrine means these people are all part of one generation

- -

• steve2
    steve2

Overlapping generations allows JWs to overlook failures.

• millie210
    millie210

So does this mean that when people born in '92 are dead that another explanation will be needed?

What then?

• prologos
    prologos

There was a thread here "WT doctrines that have not changed":

they could dust off the old chest nut and proclaim:

" The world has ended millions NOW living will never die"

in the then newest 'special canpaign'

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

wow, this generation stuff is getting ever more convoluted. With fred franz as a theological cornerstone as well, lolz. Thanks for the chart Oubliette.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit