Wars of Religion - THE TIMES - What a JW will think

by Da.Furious 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

Link to the newspaper front page on BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-28699852

Reason i started this topic is related on how the WTS/JW's will react or jump onto this piece of news.

In previous years where UN or some nation condemned the Vatican, JW's start jumping into conclusion the end is near the great tribulation is starting. Governments are attacking religion and they will soon ban them.

This front page news titles: Wars of Religion. Is just talking on how the Muslim jihadist and extremists are attacking minorities including Christians and how the Wetsern countries need to stop this from happening.

So i am guessing the same reaction will now be observed by the WTS/JW. They will say: Governments are now seeing how religion is causing problems and governments will intervene to stop them and result in banning religion hence the GT.

What do you think? Would the WTS/JW's take this opportunity to increase efforts and maybe new magazines or talks discussing that these events are foretold into he bible and now they are happening?

Also do you agree that at some point governments will ban religion, hence the prophecy is fulfilled?

Da Furious

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Yes the WBTS will jump on this in the way they always focus on the negative and grab at straws to claim the end is nigh BUT governments will not ban religion ever. It would be political suicide and is contrary to the long-held principle of reedom of religion.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am sure the Jdubs will latch on to anything of this kind to bolster their wacky belief that we live in the "Time of the End".

But as to " Also do you agree that at some point governments will ban religion, hence the prophecy is fulfilled?", this is a two part question.

As to the first part, I think Governments would be wise to find ways to combat the noxious effects of religion, but outright bans achieve little.

Education is the key, it is ignorance that gives power to religionists.

As to the second part, the banning of religion is not actually a Biblical prophecy, both the "You will be persecuted" and the stuff in Revelation were written after the event, so, technically are not prophecies.

• blondie
    blondie

Jws probably will, they grasp at straws.

But forget Matthew 24:44

• Fernando
    Fernando

Despite Rutherford teaching that all religion is a snare and a racket, JWs have been taught to instead love the apostasy of Watchtower legal council and Vice President Hayden C Covington which introduced the spurious and self-serving concepts of "true religion" and "false religion" in the early 1950's.

(Books by Rutherford: "Religion", 1940, and "Enemies", 1937. Legal booklet by Covington: “Defending and Legally Establishing the Good News”, 1950)

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Just want to throw this in, bit of a novelty and all that, I know

But you know, have any of you actually well, kinda, actually read the article, you know, in full?

And maybe the editorial comment too (on page 28)

And you know, perhaps even the inside double page spread on pages 30-31?

Before well, you know, before commenting?

That's all folks!

DarK SpliveR

Yes, before you ask, I have, in full.

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

@darkspilver

I just read what BBC had in the comments. Appreciate if you have anything interesting to share with us. This might improve the discussion.

Anyway, the reason i have just commented on the title because this is what majority of JWs will do. Very few purchase newspapers or spend money on online newspapers.

I would not be surprised that a whole discussion about the end of religion will be based merely on a newspaper title. I may be wrong, but i have heard a lot of such statements based on just titles.

• blondie
    blondie

It seems that you have to subscribe to the newpaper this article is in to read it. Am I wrong? If so, where is a copy without charge?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

@blondie

new concept for you ;) you go and buy a newspaper :)

As Da.Furious said: "what majority of JWs will do. Very few purchase newspapers or spend money on online newspapers." oh!

That's all folks

DarK SpliveR

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

@Da.Furious

the article is really just about ISIS, and how governments etc should step in to protect both the Christian and Yazidi faiths - so really article/s is urging that both world governments and the international community should step in and protect religious people - kinda the opposite to the old 'turning-on-religion'. No other religious conflicts appear to be referenced in the articles either. Interesting articles anyway.

That's all folks!

DarK SpliveR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit