JW teachings that have remained the same

by Splash 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

As Jesus once said (sort of) if you love me, buy my books.

Actually--don't we all find it amazing how far the scrabbled together cherry-picking of Charlie Russell has come, albeit quite distorted over time?

JW's are the UN-cola of Christendom, but--in all seriousness--if I were going to join a cult, why would I choose JW's when the social stability

and support of--say--Mormons is much nicer?

Being Scientologist is more fun (unless you can't afford all those expensive courses).

I mean--belonging to a social group doesn't have to mean you BELIEVE the crap they hold to be true.

Why?

It's not about what you THINK INSIDE YOUR PRIVATE MIND that gets you in trouble--its what you say and do.

I would guess 47 per cent of all Jehovah's Witnesses don't actually believe all their silly interpretations.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

jgnat: How about Paradise Earth? Rutherford introduced it in [1922/23???] at Cedar Point.

The fact that it was introduced by Rutherford in the '20s would be evidence of a belief that changed from Russell's time.

In the OP, SPLASH referred to "the long held teachings which have never changed" without bracketing or otherwise defining the time frame of "never."

It has been generally taught that C. T. Russell was the founder of "the modern" organization, although the name "Jehovah's Witnesses" was not adopted until Rutherford's reign.

If you want to go back further, to Bible times, then the only belief that hasn't changed is that everyone must obey the self-appointed rulers that presume to speak in "God's name." God is in fact a prop for delusional individuals to assume power over others. The fact that people believe it, does not make any of it true.

If you want to have a shorter time frame, then we could discuss the JW beliefs that haven't changed since last Sunday's WT study.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Terry: I would guess 47 per cent of all Jehovah's Witnesses don't actually believe all their silly interpretations.

I would guess 90%+ of JWs don't even KNOW all their silly interpretations!

I mean seriously, who can keep up!!!

I have found that we "apostates" on JWN are much better informed, more up-to-date, and can more clearly elucidate (to the extent that that is even possible) WT "beliefs" than the majority of active Witnesses.

Case in point: A little over a year ago I had a meeting with three elders in a little room. During the course of that meeting each elder misspoke on at least one major doctrinal point. This was after the change in "understanding" about the FDS/GB had been introduced at the Annual Meeting and posted on jw.org, but before it had been studied in the WT. Only one of the three elders even knew about the change.

If the elders--the ones that are supposedly "leaders" of the sheep--can't keep up, what hope is their for the followers? Oh, and if the R&F happen to know the doctrines and policies better than the elders they better just keep their big mouths shut because, at the end of the day, it's not about doctrines or policies; it's all about one thing: obedience and control.

I know, I got myself in trouble for "correcting" one of the elders. I was right and they were wrong, but-as the chairman of the committee kindly, gently and lovingly pointed out--I was DF'd at the time and not in a position to be "teaching" them. Facts and accuracy was actually irrelevant in their minds. He told me so! The ONLY thing that mattered was my being "submissive, humble and diffident" to "theocratic authority."

The fact that they can't even keep their own teachings straight is further evidence that none of it matters.

If you want to know what a JW believes, tell him to check the latest WT.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I should say that the same goes for all of you. God damned I-phone.... Nothing pisses me off more than not having a laptop, except this damn I-phone and typos...

DD

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Oub, that is right on. Dubs have no actual beliefs to cherish. They have no spiritual center in themselves. They are will-o-the-wisps, constantly tacking in the winds of time. What kind of "faith" is that?!?! They hold nothing dear, except the organization. There is no belief they would not change if the GB said so. All the really have is "cherished errors."

DD

• bennyk
    bennyk

Actually, even the Watch Tower society's "core teachings" regarding soul sleep and the trinity have been significantly altered, in that said beliefs were once considered non-essential. Behold the following Watch Tower article from 01. August 1913 (Watch Tower Reprints p. 5284):

DOCTRINES MORE OR LESS IMPORTANT

THERE are certain features of the doctrine of Christ which are fundamental and indispensable, and without which none would be recognized of the Lord as one of His followers. There are other features which would seem to be useful, helpful, blessed, but not fundamental--not essential to membership in the Body of Christ. The fundamentals have been enjoyed by good, saintlyones from the Day of Pentecost until now.

We, the same class now, have the same fundamentals, and are permitted to have other privileges, truths, "meat in due season," for our strengthening. These latter are not necessarily essential to our membership in the Body of Christ; otherwise our forefathers who did not have themwould not have been members of Christ, and there would have been no Christ Body for centuries.

The fundamental theory of the Atonement is as follows:

(1) All men--all of Adam's children--are sinners.

(2) None can be reconciled to God without a Redeemer's sacrifice.

(3) Jesus came into the world to be that Sacrifice-- and later to apply that Ransom-price for the sins of the world.

(4) On the basis of faith in the Redeemer's work, the believer may consecrate himself to the Divine service, in acceptance of the Divine invitation, "Present your bodies a living sacrifice."

(5) So doing, the believer may--up to the time of the completion of the Elect number--exercise full assurance of faith that his sacrifice will be accepted of the Father; and that he will receive a share of the anointing of the Holy Spirit--the begetting.

(6) Such as meet these conditions are to be accepted as brethren in the highest sense of the term. This much would seem to have been always necessary, and more than this we believe is not necessary today. But if by reason of our favorable day we have more knowledge, we may also have corresponding trials, which our greater knowledge will offset.

Our advice to the Lord's dear people everywhere is that they put no yoke upon each other, beyond the fundamentals specified above--that otherwise they stand free, and leave each other free, and fellowship and agree as much as they can with each other.

• jgnat
    jgnat

How about the sanctification of Jehovah's name? Or is that another Rutherford addition?

• Terry
    Terry

I think that orange book, "Let Your Name be Santified" was the very first congregation book study publication I commented on.

LYNS- Let Your Name Be Sanctified, 1961

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Terry, I hear they're coming out with a new, revised version of that publication.

It's going to be called, "Let Your Initial Be Sanctified," and we can all download it on JW.ORG

• Terry
    Terry

I FIND IT INTERESTING that from 1874 to 1914 (FORTY YEARS) Russell (the faithful and wise anointed servant) WRONGLY preached and

taught Jesus had returned.

Until the year 1942 it was preached and taught and believed Jesus had returned 40 years earlier than 1914.

How many JW's realize the signifcance of that? MATTHEW 24:26 specifically refers to this as FALSE PROPHET lies.

"Wherefore if they shall say unto you . . . behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not."

What would it mean to say Jesus is in the secret chamber except that He is there but you can't see him?

Matthew 24:23 " Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not."

What is the implication?

If Jehovah chose ONLY the Bible Students to be the Truth channelers and they had falsely violated the command to NOT

predict Jesus' presence--and . . .AFTER being chosen (1919) it took another 23 years to figure out their error--were

these people REALLY teaching THE TRUTH?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit