Read any good books lately?

by Berengaria 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I love Mark Bittman's recipes in the New York Times. The Minimalist.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I'm reading 'Speaker for the Dead' by Orson Scott Card. Pretty good stuff.

I also sat down and started reading 'God's Kingdom Rules!' A stunning work of fiction, it captures the history of a hypothetical "true religion" with incredible detail.

--sd-7

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The Goldfinch, very good book, a very unusual story, well told.

• watson
    watson

"Hemp Bound: Dispatches From The Front Lines Of The Next Agricultural Revolution".

Doug Fine

Willie Nelson says: "A blueprint for the America of the future".

• inbetween
    inbetween

Ben Goldacre: "Bad Pharma",

an eye opener, before I read his "Bad science"

• Mum
    Mum

I just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain, which is narrated by the family dog. I enjoyed it immensely. Dogs are wonderful beings.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Just started reading Leo Tolstoy. Excellent

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

SafeAtHome -

Also reading the Louise Penny series - currently A Rule Against Murder. Trying to read them in order - this is, I think, my fifth.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I'm reading Capital in the 21st century by Thomas Piketty, The condition of the working classes in 1844 by Engels and the Essays of Michel de Montaigne.

Also some manga - Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue and Urusei Yatsura by Rumiko Takahashi.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Mum Loved that one too. Another great series is the Chet & Bernie mysteries by Spencer Quinn, also narrated by Chet the Dog..really good stories and Chet is a hoot. BizzyBee, that series was addictive and best read in order also, especially the last few since the storyline overlapped. I love good detective mysteries that aren't full of blood and gore and females in peril.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit