Freaking out a Jehovah's Witness

by jgnat 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

As you know, my husband has physically left the Witnesses. He nevertheless clings to many of the beliefs like a protective cloak, and every once in a while I trigger a dissonant episode where my reality clashes with his. Recently he listened in on my work research, a video of a futurist describing the a potential "disruptive change" event in the next fifteen years, as our culture shifts to autonomic (driverless) vehicles. That talk sent him over the edge, and he talked about the implications for days.

It took me a while to figure out why this talk was so disturbing to him.

It messes with the Witness view of a rapidly declining imperfect world, soon to be replaced by a (perfect) divine one. It is pretty disturbing if humanity appears to be getting there without the help of magazines.

So I propose a novel method of getting through to our (Witness) loved-ones. Feed them snippets of news from trusted futurists of how different it will be in a few short years. We get the added satisfaction of seeing many of these predictions bear fruit in front of their eyes, unlike the ones, you know, peddled by the WTS. It's like planting little time bombs to be set off when they least expect it.

Here's a list of trusted futurists I've followed over the years. Their claim to fame is many of their predictions have actually come through!

John Nesbitt - accurately predicting how the Baby Boomers shape our culture

Seth Godin - marketing guru. Why television mass marketing is dead

Hans Rosling - how raising the standard of living slows population growth!

Thomas Frey - work will be very different. Our future is the paradise Witnesses crave.

Tony Seba - clean disruption (transporation) guru

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, and don't expect any gratefulness from your Witness audience. They will likely respond with, "Yes, but, do we have world peace?" This is simply the cognitive dissonance kicking in. I suggest a mild reponse along the lines of, "But it makes our lives a good deal easier, doesn't it?"

• Watchtower-Free
  • Watchtower-Free
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yeah, but don't you know the world is going from bad to worse all the time.

Just read the news...........

Doc

• This is my tigersuit
    This is my tigersuit

if you want to hear how bad the world is and how its going to hell in a hurry, just listen to the first ten minutes of any and every public talk! ha!

• jgnat
    jgnat

As they sit there so sweet in their fifties attire, fed, clean, well-groomed, in a heated (air-conditioned) building with electricity, microphones and now....ipads. Yes, the world certainly is getting worse by the minute.

• Terry
    Terry

MY METHOD of shaking the cognitive dissonance loose from a Jehovah's Witness

I compiled a list of the latest statistics on various things which--in a JW's mind--help define the 'signs' of the LAST DAYS.

I then ask the JW to "please estimate" How Much, How many, etc.

I follow up by showing the JW how far off their estimates are.

EXAMPLE I compiled from last year.

1. Has the number of violent crimes INCREASED or DECREASED in the U.S. in the last year--and by what per cent?

A: law enforcement agencies throughout the nation reported a decrease of 5.4 percent in the number of violent crimes brought to their attention for the first 6 months of 2013 when compared with figures reported for the same time in 2012.

2. Has the number of property crimes Increased or decreased in the U.S. as compared with the previous year--and by what per cent?

A. The number of property crimes in the United States from January to June of 2013 decreased 5.4 percent when compared with data for the same time period in 2012.

3. In the year 2012, when comparing the previous 10 years, has crime gone UP or DOWN over that decade?

A. The FBI estimated that in 2012 the number of violent crimes increased 0.7 percent. However, property crimes decreased 0.9 percent, marking the tenth straight year of declines for these offenses, collectively.

4. Per every 100,000 people in the U.S. population--what is the per centage of homicide?

A, The rate for homicide remains at historic lows, 4.7 percent per 100,000.

5. Has the rate of RAPE increased or decreased since 1993, and by what per cent?

A. Sexual assault has fallen by more than 50% in recent years. U.S. Department of Justice. National Crime Victimization Survey. 2008-2012.

6. Is the rate of child maltreatment up or down (and by how much?)

A. Rates of child maltreatment fell from 12.3 per 1,000 children in 2002 to 9.1 in 2011.

7. Have earthquakes increased since 1900?

A. According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 17 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year.Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant.

(http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/increase_in_earthquakes.php)

8. Has World Hunger increased or decreased since 1990?

A. The latest Global Hunger Index report says the number of hungry people worldwide has fallen twenty-five percent since nineteen ninety.

(http://learningenglish.voanews.com/content/hunger-rates-fall-but-the-decrease-slows-105187114/115067.html)

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

So true Terry. The stats are even more dramatic when computed from 1914

• tornapart
    tornapart

I quite often say how glad I am to be living now and not a few hundred years ago. Civil wars, religious intolerance, burning of heretics, diseases from filthy living, no electricity or gas, lots of kids because of no contracptives. Fleas, ticks and cockroaches. No health care or dentists. No schools. No holidays. The list goes on.... things are definitely better now!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit