The Watchtowers obsession with positions

by usualusername 15 Replies latest jw friends

• usualusername
    usualusername

Auxillary pioneers get mini praise.

Regular Pioneers are an exampe to follow.

Half useless men are recommended as ministerials servants.

Completely useless men end up elders.

CO's are godlike.

The governing body are God.

In the 1st century could you imagaine this level of competition?

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Well, in the 1st century, there was this level of competition. There were Elders, MS's, Shepherds, Techers, Evangelizers. There was competion and disputes amoung the Elders. Some high profiled Elders had differences.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

I thought this post was on an entirely different subject...

• usualusername
    usualusername

Elders had differences for sure.

But if you met someone would they care what position you held? I think I am a Christian from **** would be the sum of the conversation...

Maybe it was more competitive!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So how important are / were District Overseers??

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

There was a brother 40 years ago in Los Angeles, Ron something, that made up and sold a board game composed of JW's and their positions. I only saw one game briefly, but it was possibly like collecting points. Elder so many points. Circuit overseer, more points. If you get DFed, you would get demerits, of course. lol

LL

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Why are they obsessed with position?

Possibly the smaller a man's junk the more obsessed he becomes with percieved power.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Most are aware that retail type of enterprises are desparate for managers and assistant managers.

These positions ALWAYS pay less per hour than the employees of same enterprise.

So, who want ever want to accept such a promotion (when in real terms, it is a demotion)?

Those who receive some sort of gratification by having "a position" and some semblance of "authority."

It is no different than being in awe of the "manager" of the local 7-11.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

My father once told me the 3 things that motivate most people are wealth, power, and glory.

You put together a large number of men who all have a high school education or less and barely make a living washing windows or some other manual labor job, power and glory become your only two motivators left.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I knew someone that was a bank vice president, which I thought was impressive until someone told me that it didn't mean much, lots of people are vice-presidents at a bank. I would guess they do it for the same reason the Watchtower does, it makes people feel important and loyal and more responsible for things. Banks pay lousy wages, but the employees have access to large sums of money, so maybe giving them a title makes them less likely to steal. Obviously, in the case of the Watchtower, people are working for free, so the title is sort a a non tangible "payment".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit