using kindle/ tablet/ iPad in meetings how to police?

by purrpurr 38 Replies latest jw friends

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

Hmmm from your responses I wonder how many are sitting there actually looking at the jw library? Maybe not many?

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Why don't you try it out? See if you can get away with playing with Angry Birds? Then you will see who gets angry at you, and it won't be the Birds.

• Splash
    Splash

The router could be configured to allow only a white list of permitted websites, eg jw.org and the wol.

It is possible to see which sites have been accessed.

Splash

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Sorry this is a little off topic- my mom, who has never operated a computer, email, or smartphone in her life, mentioned the other day that she wanted a tablet. She mentioned this right after a convention. She wanted to follow the programs on it. I think this must be trending at the halls.

Not a dig against your mom, since I don't know her, but I've noticed a lot of JWs only needed a tiny excuse to get materialistic and start slavering over owning a new gadget.

It's like a kid whose parents raise him on a strict, low-sugar diet allowing him to eat some ice cream just this once since everyone at the party is eating it. If we ever knew any kids raised that way, they were likely to wolf down the ice cream and then start trying to refill their bowl without their parents noticing, like a little beady-eyed drug addict who's just had his first fix. It's like they just lose control from being pent-up for so long.

I've observed similar reactions among some of the JWs who are suddenly very interested in having one of those shiny new toys that they see others using at the Hall. "But, it's so convenient for accessing the literature!" Sure, sure it is.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

KH WiFi!? WTF never knew they had it

I would love to hack the settings and change the SID name (network name) to say something like The Devils Play ground or something similar

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

If the KH snoops were smart and wanted to snoop on the congrogation, they would allow the cong to have the wifi password then monitor the traffic. They would likely catch people ( that were not aware it was possible to observe) going to apostate sites .

Boom , big mess there. I'm kinda glad for all those faders and others that do go to the sites ( and don't know this is possible) that they are not given the password so they don't get caught. The router can ID the device.

Using the cell phone access is much safer, more secure.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The key to be a sneak is to not sit so close to an elder or someone nosy.

I'm the teenagers have this down pat.

• Pterist
    Pterist

All local WiFi routers can monitored and control internet traffic with good firewall software. However, laptops Tablets, iPads, etc can have access to the internet via a wireless data provider, bypassing any local WiFi at KHs etc. The WBTS may get into the market with their own hardware device (jPad) with a INTRANET ONLY connection, they have a captive audience. ;)

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

An elder told a friend of mine that they had determined that someone had been surfing on APOSTATE SITES during the meeting.

IS THAT POSSIBLE? CAN THEY KNOW?

Can DISMEMBER or someone with tech savvy tell us?

I think the elder was "baiting" my friend as they have had some serious discussion about "doubts".

Doc

• Mum
    Mum

This entire discussion is bizarre - adults worrying about whether people are spying on them and going to turn them in. If this were happening at a regular church, nobody would be worried about what someone else was doing.

It reminds me of the time my elder ex-husband asked me why I didn't stand for the prayer. I told him this was not Catholicism, so I didn't think we had a ritual. Later, I attended a Catholic Church, where there is a formal ritual, and people knelt, sat or stood as they saw fit, without anybody questioning their individual choice.

They (JW's) have people spying on you everywhere you go anyway, at least if any fellow dubs are around, so get over it. They spy. That's what they do. As is often said here, It's a CULT!

There's an easy solution, purrpurr. Look at non-JW websites away from the meetings, and you shouldn't have a problem and can have peace of mind at the meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit