question: gambling?

by Imbue 13 Replies latest jw friends

• FRUSR8TD
    FRUSR8TD

I had an interesting conv. with my mother-in-law on this one...at first the attitude was that even there is no mention in the bible directly about it, it was still a sin. I explained that gambling itself is not evil.... Many people can gamble without greed or expectation of winning...they look at it as an expensive video game. I also pointed out that MOST of the time in the bible it is the intent of the person not the action itself that is the important part. Given that is the case...the real sin is greed...not gambling. She agreed with me on that and finally admitted that indeed gambling itself could not be good or evil by it's self. A few weeks later she was at my house with some other JW ladies that my wife studies with and one of the issues that was in the study was gambling and the "teacher" of the group went on about how evil it was and all these reasons (that I'm sure we have all heard before) why it is so evil. My mother-in-law sat right there and just nodded her head...yep yep yep. As I passed through the room I looked right at her and she would not even look at me.... I glanced at my wife (who heard the entire conversation I had with her mother) and she gave me the look that said "don't you dare embarrass me!". I just shook my head and walked on through .

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

SPAZ said:

i mean, which would they prefer to form a committee for? asking a young woman, whether she was wearing a thong and did she enjoy it? or a boring "how much money did you spend on slot machines" question.

"Were you wearing a thong while playing the slots?"

They use the "greed", "god of good luck", and "cast lots over Jesus' cloak" reasoning to poo-poo gambling. It doesn't seem to be a high priority, but my understanding is that even one visit to a den of gambling could get you in hot water.

Hmmm

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I have noticed lately that alot of Witnesses have been buying lottery tickets. I gather that although they are not *supposed* to buy these tickets, they probably fit the typical mindset and the demographic of people that buy these sorts of things.

Personally, I see nothing wrong in gambling for entertainment if it is done responsibly (lol). To say all people gamble out of greed would be mistaken and if all who were greedy were actually disfellowshipped, would there be any Witnesses left?

Path

• crownboy
    crownboy

I don't think there is a particular scripture outlawing gambling, just greediness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit