Ebola -274 LDS/Mormon Miss. are re-assigned, WT doing what?

by Phizzy 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The LDS Church (Mormons) have pulled 274 missionaries out of the Ebola affected areas of Africa and sent them to other lands.

Does the WT care enough about its Sales Reps to do the same ?

• losingit
    losingit

I was jusr thinking about that yesterday. What are they going to do with their missionaries?

• carla
    carla

Do they have missionaries in the true sense of the word or a handful of r & f who live there anyway? Imagine the (made up) stories next summer at the conventions! They could have a field day with this tragedy. yeah, I'm cynical when it comes to the wt.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Local missionaries won't be re-assigned.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

There was a recent video (I don't remember the source- a JW or JW.Org) that showed what WT had JWs do for the Memorial in these areas: they still held the Memorial....but told the brothers to "wash their hands thoroughly", and they didn't pass the emblems*.

That's WT's 'solution' to dealing with a deadly disease! The show must go on.

* without the emblems, isn't it just another meeting? And, since it was just another meeting, considering the circumstances, coudln't it have been cancelled?

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

The organization cherishes martyrs, the missionaries will stay.

zed

• blondie
    blondie

I was just asking my husband if the WTS was going to pull out jw missionaries from other countries out of the affected areas. Missionaries sent by the WTS used to have to be in their assignment for five years before they could decide to go home or leave or pay the WTS back for their transport to that area. The WTS is very money oriented and would not want to pay to move them elsewhere.

(proofread, proofread)

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

@ Blondie: The WTS is very money oriented and would not want to pay to move them elsewhere.

I see a new WT-sponsored donation fund coming quickly: The "Bring The Missionaries Home From Disease-Infected Regions" fund.

JWs will donate generously, WT will keep the excess.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

ADCMS said:

I see a new WT-sponsored donation fund coming quickly: The "Bring The Missionaries Home From Disease-Infected Regions" fund.

'But make sure you write your checks out to the WWW. We want to use the funds wherever we see fit.'

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Comments from one article!

http://ilynca.blogspot.com/2014/03/guinea-ebola-update.html

Guinea Ebola Update

Okay so remember when I said that when I Google “Ebola” and “Guinea” I could hardly find anything? Well now if I type it in there are hundreds of hits! And if you add “Missionary” to that combination you get... Me! Great, I'm forever linked to the Ebola epidemic, just what I need!

First, we get in the Yearbook and now our little forgotten country is making worldwide headline news! I was even reading about us on CNN! What a way for Guinea to get famous. Okay, so the good news is there are still no reports of anyone in our city having caught this crazy disease. The bad news is it's not a mystery disease any more, reports back from labs in France have confirmed that it truly is Ebola. For the first time ever in Guinea (or in humans in West Africa) there is an official outbreak of Ebola hemorrhagic fever.

As of today they are reporting approximately 80 have caught the disease and about 60 have died from it. But this is a very hard thing to track because there may be more people dying in small villages without phone connections and there could be people dying of other sicknesses (like usual) and it's being blamed on Ebola. Doctors Without Borders reported that they sent 33 tons of medicine and supplies to set up isolation areas for those infected and all treatment is being offered for free.

People here in Guinea have started to hear the news of the outbreak and become afraid. One of the missionary's told me about her return visit with a pharmacist who said she went right out and bought a big bottle of bleach and was going to disinfect everything. She also said she was going to save her money and eat at home instead of eating out. One brother told me "Normally our family has the habit of eating dog meat but we are not going to do that for awhile." At our assembly this weekend many people were doing the “wrist handshake”. After the assembly at least one car group headed back to the city where there is an outbreak (Macenta). One brother said “What can we do? We've got to get back. Pray for us.” One of our construction works is heading into the Ebola Zone tomorrow because that is where they are building the next new Kingdom Hall. Apparently, the French Embassy has been in contact with the missionaries sending out e-mails, texts messages and even phoning. Though American Ambassador did call us personally during the last problem in our city, we haven't heard a word from the American Embassy yet. Probably because there isn't much they can say. At the moment there is no cure or vaccine for Ebola and “Be careful” sounds so inadequate.

Atlantis!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit