Perfect Relationship, He Still Broke Up With Me

by tiff21390 35 Replies latest social relationships

• jws
    jws

He sounds like me 25 years or so ago. I was never what you'd call a strong JW. Oh, I believed it. I just didn't like living it.

I was young, I had non-JW girlfriends. But I was still an active JW as well as my family. I broke up with one girl I was dating because I had met a JW girl. My thinking was that at some point, I had to get back to being a faithful JW not only in belief, but in action. The JW girl thing fell apart. Eventually I began dating non-JW girls again. I hid it all from my JW family. With one, it was getting serious. Though I didn't know it, and dismissed my girlfriends concerns, it really bothered her that I wouldn't introduce her to my family.

I'm glad I didn't marry her for reasons that have nothing to do with religion, but I thank her because the one thing she did was help me discover that the JWs were a cult. She showed me some taped program about JWs and at the end they listed some books I could order. I ordered Ray Franz's book Crisis of Conscience and immediately decided that I couldn't believe the religion anymore and I'd never go back**. And I faded away permanently.

**Not to say I didn't have to act the part every now and then. Go to their annual big to-do to please my dad, etc. But mentally, I had no visions of ever living the JW life again. No need to eventually settle down with a JW girl.

I have regrets about that first girl I broke up with in favor of the JW one. Wondering what might have been. And so will this guy. He will look back and think what an idiot he was. Chances are he will never buy into it fully and will leave eventually anyway. If he's open to it, get him to read books like the one I did. See if he can be turned away from the cult.

Leaving is an issue. It can mean your whole JW family will turn their back on you if you do it wrong. So it has to be done right. And he may have to act the part of a JW from time to time.

If he can be turned, there's nothing that says he can't marry you. He would be advised against it. And people might voluntarily avoid him. But technically they can't "disfellowship" him. Provided he doesn't admit to living with you or having sex with you before being married. In otherwords, anything they can disfellowship him for or anything that implies he could have done anything. For them, even you staying overnight under the same roof implies you had sex and they could disfellowship him. Whether you did or not.

And you will have to play along too and understand his predicament. His family won't like that you're not a JW. Not that you have to pretend to be one. But, if he doesn't want to see his family or bring you around, don't push it. He's trying to keep his connections to his family and you. And it probably has to start out separate. He has to guage the situation and react the way he thinks is best.

I eventually married a non-JW girl. My dad accepted it (mom died before all of this). My brother married a non-JW girl too. Dad loved seeing us. He loved seeing his grand-kids. Not every JW is like my dad though.

I hope I'm not giving you horrible advice here or false hope. All I know is he sounds a bit like me. And my eyes have been opened for almost 25 years now.

Some people experience a feeling of betrayal when they find out it's not the truth. Because I never really liked living it, I felt a sense of relief. The way you describe him, maybe he will too.

If you think he's worth it, try to get him out of it. If not for the sake of a relationship, for the sake of a friend. But until he's out for good and knows for himself that it's false and never wants to be a part of it, don't get more involved with him.

VERY IMPORTANT! He can't just leave. He has to know it for what it is. He has to reject their teachings. He has to reject the organization. He can't just be lazy about going and not feel like following the rules. Those people often have flip-flops and return to being a JW. He has to know it's BS. Then, and only then, might he be safe to resume a relationship with.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Last month, my best friend of four years and boyfriend of six months came home from a Jehovah's Witness convention. He'd been acting strangely the entire weekend and I knew something was wrong. I initiated a discussion and he said, "Essentially our relationship is wrong and I'm not supposed to be with you."

Hello Tiff......welcome to JWN, but sorry to hear of your breakup. A BF who would do this is a weasel. Count yourself lucky to find out now. After living together do you really think he all of a sudden "got holy" or "is having a guilty conscience" after attending a JW convention? I'm not trying to be mean, but the weasel probably spotted some new squirrel at the convention. The having a relationship with you is wrong, but the sex part is okay? JW's can reason to treat "worldly people" anyway they want because in a JW's mind they are better than "worldly people", because all "worldly people" are going to be destroyed anyway because they are not JW's.

Again....count yourself lucky to find out now, move on, and have nothing to do with the weasel. I'd even tell his parents about the lying bastard's double life.

• losingit
    losingit

I'm sorry you're going through so much. Hugs.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Tiff, welcome and we are here for you.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"I just would like some advice and encouragement on how to deal."

You've given him plenty of chances. Frankly, he isn't much of a man. Although he's seemed to show you his deeper, truthful side, what he's given you is just another facade. He talks to you about your future plans for togetherness and family, but then he goes to the KH where the JWs plan for a future where all nonJWs (yourself included) will have their heads smashed open as Jehovah drops rocks from the sky.

My advice? Your time and energy would be much better invested elsewhere. My encouragement? This has been a valuable learning experience for you. You can be glad that you didn't spend more time and energy on him.

"He was my best friend in every sense and was always there for me. I still love him so much. I've decided to end all contact with him as it hurts too much to now realize that he's ok with having sex and carrying on with me without committing to me. I'm hurt because he's not the man I've known. He's a stranger now."

You both have changed. You now realize that a best friend shouldn't be treating you like a "dirty little secret", keeping you away from his friends and family. He has changed too because he can't keep up the work required of his double-life.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

tiff21390 - I just would like some advice and encouragement on how to deal.

Welcome tiff21390 , I'm sorry that you are feeling hurt by your ex-boyfriend's decision to break-up. It would be best for you to move on with your life by doing fun activities with close friends and making new friends. If you are unemployed and don't love where you currently live, maybe moving back home for a short-time would help you emotionally and financially.

DITTO what breakfast of champions wrote about reading Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest book) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs").

Avoid relationships with JWs and other members of dangerous cults. I felt like you about 5 years ago when my "Spiritually Strong" (non-thinking) JW (and former) friend and I fell in love with each other. It was very painful, but I dodged a bullet by her not wanting to continue our relationship with each other because of the unequal yoke argument. My former friend has two personas. An authentic persona that I fell in love with and her cult persona that caused her to feel guilty being with me. Reading Steve Hassan's books will help you to better understand what I am writing about.

Your friend's cult persona broke up with you because of his recent attendance at a WTBTS convention. The more JWs attend WTBTS events the stronger their cult persona becomes for a couple of weeks. In a couple of weeks your friend may try to contact you as his authentic persona misses you and his cult persona grows weaker. If your friend does contact you, your life will have less unnecessary drama if you ignor his calls and move on with your life. Your JW friend has too much unnecessary emotional baggage that he would need to resolve before you could ever trust him to love you more than the WTBTS.

Best of wishes for you.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Indoctrinated JWS are programed to repel non believers for they are perceived to be dangerous and weakening to their own

spirituality.

This religious cult has structured this intensionally as a purposed us against them scenario to protect their organization of

which they have complete overwhelming control of its inherent members.

To further of what has already been said, JWS are constantly being alerted that god's judgment day is soon

and a new earthly Paradise is to follow. What that translates to JWs is that why be married to a person who

has no chance of being saved from destruction when they could be with someone that has at least the

same chance of survival as they do. Sounds silly and frivolous but this is what goes on in JWS minds

as people are being manipulated under the WTS's intensional mind control.

The other thing that goes on with JWS is that people who have mates/spouses of non-believers are kind of socially lowered

within the congregation, your deemed as one who should be cautious around or someone who gets left out from the rest of the congregation.

What makes the JW religion a bit more unique to itself is that there is social push to separate non-jws from

jws members including ones own family, co-workers, neighbors etc.

Under that social arrangement its easy to see why people who are married to non-jws are lovingly persuaded

to break off that relationship with that noted non-believer.

Sorry Tiff , but I think this guy is going to play the field from here now in to get hooked up with a female JWS.

• tiff21390
    tiff21390

Yeah, we broke up more than a month ago and finally ending our post breakup limbo is kind of putting me back at square one. I just never believed that he would succumb to the pressure of such beliefs given his every day behavior. We'd loved each other for so long and were inseparable. Even our friends can't believe we've ended. It's frustrating because I just want to shake the feeling of it didn't have to be this way and embrace it completely. I suppose I need time and to continue with this complete break from him. It just really sucks.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Yes, it sucks, but please understand that he's broken. Most of us here are still dealing with the effects of the brainwashing years later. If you get in contact with him again, you'll need to be prepared to make a decision. Either help him understand that he's in a cult, or let him go. The former is a lot of work, and will likely not work.

• Dis-Member

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit