Reality is plain to see: if you just open your eyes

by kneehighmiah 11 Replies latest jw friends

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

I made a post a few days ago about stagnant JW growth at international conventions. I also enjoyed reading analysis of the statistics from jwfacts. what the watchtower claims and what the reality is, are two different things. It's so easy to disprove what they say. The same can be said for the 1914 teaching. It's a complete joke. in this modern society why did it take some of us so long to see what everyone else outside the organization sees? Fear? Wanting to believe? What caused me to never check references used in the watchtower? Why didn't I read other bible commentaries? Im an indoctrinated born in, so in some ways I was probably afraid my worldview would collapse and I'd be hopeless. I'd no longer have ALL the "answers." Surprisingly, I'm happier now that I don't have ALL the answers.

• cha ching
    cha ching

So very true....

I use to watch the 'dwindling' figures of "how many annointed are partaking at the memorial this past year" and think, as a little girl... "Only 6,00 left to die, and we are close to Armageddon".... then the numbers went up...

First clue.... ignored.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Peer pressure is a powerful force!

• stillin
    stillin

So, what are you saying? It's NOT the one and only true religion? (Probing stare)

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

in this modern society why did it take some of us so long to see what everyone else outside the organization sees? Fear? Wanting to believe? What caused me to never check references used in the watchtower? Why didn't I read other bible commentaries?

For me, at least three reasons. I, too, was an almost-born-in (toddler when my parents were baptized).

1. My parents taught it to me, so why wouldn't I believe it?

2. I knew nothing else, and had no real reason to question anything. After all, it DID make sense!

3. Lazy

• factfinder
    factfinder

It made sense, all the other religions are wrong. The witnesses are preaching the good news of the kingdom and their literature is available everywhere, ... a number of factors that impressed me.

I trusted them too, never checked references, wanted it to be true.

I had friends in the congregation, loved recieving the new magazines and books....

but as the years went on with no armageddon in sight, friends moving away, meetings becoming more and more boring, seeing wrongdoing on the part of elders, etc , it finally started to have an effect and my eyes started to open a bit more and I started doubting more, I saw no evidence of Jehovah's spirit in the congregation.

I gave up going BEFORE really finding out the tatt. And like you kneehighmiah, I think back and wonder why I could not see what was so obvious to others who were not jws.

• losingit
    losingit

I wanted to believe in God. I wanted to be with my husband. I wanted to have a united family. I loved my friends. Those are the main reasons why I joined and stayed so long. I always felt uneasy about the whole fiasco, but what I wanted was more important than the truth/reality. I learned that nothing is more important than the truth/reality. You cannot ignore it and expect to live an innocent and secure life. Eventually, the lies catch up to you, no matter what you do.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Born ins like us are dealt some pretty shitty cards.

You don't expect you parents to be liars. You trust them.

You go to school and have to be different, stick out like a sore thumb. You start to build a persecution complex from a very young age.

You invest thousands of hours in meetings, FS, assemblies, over the first 20 years of your life. If you want sex, you get married real young, and have hopefully have some real fun for a few years. If kids come along quickly, its stressful as hell as you try to make ends meet with a HS diploma.

Its a wonder any born in escapes.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yep, I think the worst part is how you mentioned that, as a child, you naturally believe your parents know what they're talking about. It can't occur to a child that maybe their parents and all the adults they see at the Kingdom Hall believe crazy things.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Ignorance was bliss.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit