October 1914

by Quendi 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Quendi
    Quendi

We have had a great discussion about World War I and its impact on the twentieth century. I hope we can have an equally interesting exchange about October 1914. We all know how important that date was in the history of Jehovah's Witnesses but what may be murkier is the WTS's later thinking on what happened that month and when. Charles Taze Russell and his followers expected the Gentile Times to conclude in that month with the Battle of Armageddon. For years beforehand, WTS literature trumpeted this expectation. None of the "Russellites" as the International Bible Students--later renamed as Jehovah's Witnesses--were also called expected the time of the end to begin in 1914. Rather they expected its culmination in that year.

When the Great War, as World War I was orignally called, broke out in July 1914, the Bible Students were thrilled. As the war intensified that summer into the worst bloodbath the world had ever seen, they were certain that it would lead inexorably and inevitably to Armageddon with October seeing the climax of events. Just when in October this was to happen wasn't exactly forecast. Some thought 1 October would be the day. On the morning of 2 October, Russell announced to the breakfasting Bethel family, "The Gentile Times have ended; their kings have had their day!" There was a great burst of applause and as one person present on the occasion said later, 'We expected the table and chairs to begin rising in the air' as a sign of their being raised to heavenly life.

Well, nothing of the kind happened of course. But later publications of the WTS still pointed to October 1914 as the end of the Gentile Times. However, the date underwent some revision. From 1 October, it advanced to 4/5 October. That was the date I read in the WTS book Then Is Finished the Mystery of God, which was published in 1969. I have never understood just how that precise date was calculated. Perhaps someone else will contribute that information. I don't know if the WTS is still advocating an exact day in October 1914 when the Gentile Times supposedly ended and Jesus Christ was enthroned and crowned in heaven.

With the centenary of the Gentile Times' expiration now approaching, I wonder if the WTS is being so precise nowadays or has it contented itself with settling only for the year rather than the day and month. There is also the allied problem of how to reconcile the start of the First World War with WTS chronology. The WTS used to claim that Satan instigated the war as a result of being cast out of heaven. But if Christ wasn't crowned until October, how and why could the war in heaven have started the previous summer? The WTS also used to say that Satan started the earthly war 'right on time', but that can't be correct if Christ had not been empowered to do so. Maybe they have fallen silent on this problem of date reconciliation, but I have to wonder how they would answer any inquiry about it, assuming there are any active Witnesses alert enough to know the history of this confusing and entangled chronology and theology. Comment is invited.

Quendi

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I think precision is important for WTS. October 4/5 1914 supposedly corresponds with Tishri 15, which is the date they think was when Jerusalem was finally desolated in 607 B.C.E. Thus, counting forward the 2,520 years, they get to Tishri 15 in 1914, which is October 4/5. Counting forward 100 years, it has to be the same dates. However, they should be counting by Jewish years, which would bring it to October 9, 2014.

Of course, I use the term "precision" loosely (ha ha). Notice their explanation:

*** w72 6/1 pp. 351-352 Questions From Readers ***
    Questions From Readers
    ● Why did the beginning of World War I not coincide with the early part of October, when the “appointed times of the nations” ended?—U.S.A.

As has often been shown in this magazine, the conferring of kingship over the nations on Christ Jesus took place in 1914 C.E., at the expiration of the “appointed times of the nations” or the Gentile Times. (Luke 21:24; Dan. 4:16, 17, 31, 32) Those “appointed times” began 2,520 years earlier, after the destruction of Jerusalem in 607 B.C.E. and the assassination of the Jewish governor Gedaliah. The murder of Gedaliah in the month of Tishri (September/October) (“at the seventh new moon,” Byington translation) prompted those Jews left remaining in the land of Judah to flee. (Jer. 41:1, 2; 43:2-7) By the time the fearful Jews fled to Egypt it must have been at least the middle of Tishri, to allow enough time for the events mentioned in the Bible as taking place between the assassination and the flight. (Compare Jeremiah 41:4, 10–42:7.) This would place the start of the Gentile Times about Tishri 15, 607 B.C.E.

At the end of the Gentile Times, about Tishri 15 (October 4/5), 1914 C.E., Revelation 11:15 was fulfilled: “The kingdom of the world did become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ.” By enthroning his Son Jesus Christ, Jehovah God took his power to rule as King over the world of mankind. The rulership of the great Adversary, Satan the Devil, was due to end.

Being the ‘ruler of the world’ of mankind alienated from God, Satan certainly did not want to see the Kingdom take full control of earth’s affairs. (John 12:31; 14:30; 16:11) Over nineteen centuries earlier he maneuvered matters in such a way that, had it not been for divine intervention, Herod the Great would have killed the infant Jesus. (Matt. 2:13) Similarly, even before the birth of the heavenly kingdom, Satan readied himself and his demons for an attack. This is symbolically described at Revelation 12:3-5, where we read: “Another sign was seen in heaven, and, look! a great fiery-colored dragon, with seven heads and ten horns and upon its heads seven diadems; and its tail drags a third of the stars of heaven, and it hurled them down to the earth. And the dragon kept standing before the woman who was about to give birth, that, when she did give birth, it might devour her child. And she gave birth to a son, a male, who is to shepherd all the nations with an iron rod. And her child was caught away to God and to his throne.”

It should not be surprising, then, that World War I broke out about two months before the end of the Gentile Times, and hence before the birth of the symbolic “son” or heavenly kingdom. Satan the Devil did not need to wait until after kingship over the nations had been placed in the hands of Jesus Christ to maneuver the nations into a large-scale war. The start of that sanguinary conflict was doubtless part of his scheme to blind persons to what had happened in the heavens in fulfillment of Bible prophecy and also, if at all possible, to hinder the Kingdom from ruling over the world of mankind.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks, leaving_quietly, for this information. You're right to point to the "precision" which was a feature of WTS publications once upon a time. I remember how they pointed to the flight of the Jews after Gedaliah's assassination as the starting point for the Gentile Times. That flight left the land totally desolate and abandoned until the Jews returned from exile decades later. I doubt we will see such certitude next October. While the WTS has talked about the approaching centenary in its conventions and new releases, it hasn't given it the fanfare and promotion that, say, 1975 got. It'll be interesting to see how they play things out this time around.

Quendi

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

There was a great burst of applause and as one person present on the occasion said later, 'We expected the table and chairs to begin rising in the air' as a sign of their being raised to heavenly life.

This reminded me of a paragraph in the book Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose (Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society 1959) page 19 where it says about 1 Corinthians 15:51,52

'it had been expected "that at some time the living saints would be suddenly and miraculously caught away bodily, thenceforth to be forever with the Lord." Believing this would take place in 1878, some were disappointed because nothing occurred that they could see.'

Pastor Russel got light on this 'Instead they would be changed instantaneously at death to be present with him. This was really an important revelation of scripture...'

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

1914 was one of many darts thrown at the board. They kept on throwing, then Armageddon didn't materialize.

I shudder at the thought of collective total of man (and woman) hours lost because of this ridiculous date, 1914.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

As to the last part of your post Q, I think they are distancing from this sort of nonsense. One of their recent publications says something like "about 1914" on the chart.

Vague claims and dates work best for the type of personality they are trying to attract and keep in the cult.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I doubt we will see such certitude next October. While the WTS has talked about the approaching centenary in its conventions and new releases, it hasn't given it the fanfare and promotion that, say, 1975 got. It'll be interesting to see how they play things out this time around.

No, Quendi, I think this is it. This is the fanfare right now. I don't think they care about the month of the centennial, much less the day.

One of their recent publications says something like "about 1914" on the chart.

The new NWT's appendix says that Satan was cast out of heaven "about 1914", which has always pretty much been the belief since 1914 was changed to the year that Jesus began reigning in heaven.

• Quendi
    Quendi

So now Satan was cast out "about 1914." That seems to be an edging away from what has been the cornerstone teaching of the cult. I wonder what this might signify in relation to other essential teachings.

Quendi

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

"About 1914 C.E. " . . . it's Bible-based.

Appendix B1, page 1765 - 2013 New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It is a very strange choice that they made. Not a change in doctrine, but still, they chose to give the approximate date when Satan was cast down instead of the "known" date when Jesus started reigning. Can't imagine why they would do that, as "About 1914" still holds onto the 1914 teaching, just a bit more loosely than before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit