The spelling fairy says: It's 'atheist', not 'athiest'

by Apognophos 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Atheists are people who are "a-" (without) "theism" (a belief in God). They are not "athiests"; they are not "athier" than everyone else, nor is "athy" a word.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but it's a mistake I see every day on here and I thought it might be nice to have a topic we can bump just to periodically remind people of the proper spelling, especially since they are sometimes referring to their very own beliefs. Okay, back to our regularly scheduled programming

• prologos
    prologos

is there a spell-check that can be transferred into the post a reply field? I have a multi-lingual speller automatically in my email?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Good question. My personal recommendation for writing longer posts is always to type them in a word-processing program so you can save your post periodically in case anything happens to it (it can be easy to lose posts when writing them in the browser). In that case, the word-processing program often has its own spell-checking. For short posts, though, this is a pain to do, and I don't do it either, so my short posts have no spell-checking on them. I just obsessively re-read everything before I post it, because I'm OCD like that.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Duely noted

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

If they are a people without a belief in God, why don't they find a way to define themselves without using God/theist in their name?

• Giordano
    Giordano

Look at the 'Post A Reply' area. Built into this reply area is a bunch of click on's........ find the smiley face next to that is ABC open that up........ it will take you to installing a check spelling site to download.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks!

Its a shame about our spelling. Our brain and it's failure to get things straight.

CC

• prologos
    prologos

Giordano, thank you, but sorry, --may be I have the short version, --there is only one smiling face and no abc or related symbol beside it.

a theist,

a deist really.

• jgnat
  • Apognophos
    Apognophos

I don't see a link for a spell checker either, Giordano.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit