CO position going away

by OwnAccord 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OwnAccord
    OwnAccord

So I heard this on another site just throwing it out there because there's been talk about it here. I'm sorry I can't answer any questions I'm just relaying the information.

The Branch is considering replacing all Circuit overseers with 3 brothers per circuit to oversee needs. 24 congregations per circuit with 1 brother each assigned to 8 congregations each on a yearly rotation. The time frame on the Circuit overseer replacement was tentatively set for 2016. (This is not set in stone yet) Each congregation will still receive only 2 Visits per year. There are more details but decisions are fluid at this time. Some brothers used for this would be local brothers whose circumstances would permit such a schedule. The reasoning behind the thinking is cost reduction for CO and Wife Expenses and the preparation for more brothers to be be in oversight of circuits in case of Persecution. This has been in the talking stage for some time as was the DO Arrangement.

ALSO some info that's already been posted:

For the August Campaign:

Business Cards With Jw.org Logo to be distributed to Publishers with Bar code on Back that takes interested ones to the video "Why Study the Bible". Will Not count Business cards as placements

Training Video to Be posted on JW.Org Website The last week of July to show us how to effectively Promote website.

The 80 year age limit for COBE will also go into effect for Assembly Overseers in all Circuits.

• Londo111
    Londo111

That was a rumor floating around years ago, but it never came to fruition.

If it does, it would make sense since it would be an effort to further distance the liability of the Watchtower Society.

• Mickey mouse
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I think the training video you mention is out. I got an update to the JW app yesterday and in the "what's new" description it mentioned a video that sounded like what you're talking about. I'm not going to bother watching it, but it seems to be there.

Wouldn't surprise me if they 86'd the CO, especially now that we're not having an extra mid-week meeting during their visit. They're clearly making the CO less 'special' while at the same time giving them more authority (read: liability).

Business cards as placements is only a matter of time. It would be interesting to see if they start making the cards with unique QR codes for each publisher, so that they can automatically count any time someone scans one of your cards as a placement for you.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

This is a cheaper way to police the congregations if they do it. But it will also cause a loosening of the WT Corporation's control over each congregation, as in 'when the cats away the mice will play'.

• sir82
    sir82

September 2016 would coincide with the end of the current 3-year cycle for COs. They synchronized the 3-year cycles a few years back so now all COs get new assignments at the same time.

If the rumor above is true, the "new assignment" for all COs would be....no assignment at all!

It would certainly cut expenses for the WTS. Just the savings on health care and auto insurance would be massive.

1200 (COs + COWs) expenses for health, gas, car, stipend, etc. all -->$0. And that's just the US.

It also further muddies the connection between congregations and the WTS from a legal standpoint. Those handling "CO responsibilities" would no longer be "employees" of the WTS. No more direct link between the WTS and individual congregations - very helpful for child abuse lawsuits.

So if true, it appears that the WTS is taking a lot of steps to ensure their long-term survival.

• 88JM
    88JM

They already essentially have this in the circuit here using so many temporary C.O.'s - the actual real current C.O. has never been to the congregation here - he's doing circuit training apparently...

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Yeah, but they don't really need as much direct control these days, since they've stripped all the congregations of their extra cash, set up monthly obligations for donations, and own the property if the congregation is disolved (which they have the power to do). They're holding all the cards, so they don't need as much direct influence.

Plus, I would strongly doubt that the elders chosen for the new arrangement would be anything other than strong company men, so they'll keep the congregations in line just like the CO would. They'll just be paying their own way.

• msecodo
    msecodo

The last year of the current CO cycle is the 2014-2015 service year. So, September 2015 is when this would start - if they wanted to align it with the current rotation cycle.

• sir82
    sir82

Correct on the CO cycle - I was off by a year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit