The Image of Jesus

by givemejustalittlemoretime 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

Why do WTS portrayThe Messiah with neatly combed, cut hair and western origin looking in their pictures

• New Worldly Translation
  • Mum
    Mum

You need to ask the WTS. I don't think anyone here thinks the way they do.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It gives him movie star status and appeal.

Why does the WT/JWS restrict men in their organization to wear beards ?

Short answer because it wants their representatives to look cleanly appealing in spite of there being no

bible scripture to coincide with that restriction.

The WTS. has always enforced a pretentious image around their organization to make themselves stand out

as being pure and righteously clean among the rest of Chriredom.

Even to the extent of fumbling with the image of Christ.

You could say its apart of their self imposed marketing strategy.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"Why do WTS portrayThe Messiah with neatly combed, cut hair and western origin looking in their pictures" - giveme

Really, will you tell me your agenda? Why you always focus in the same demographics? (JW's)

You can find a "white" "jesus" painting in the Room of The Segnatura at the Vatican. The thing is Yeshua, if he ever existed should have looked a lot more Middle Eastern seeing as he was... well... Middle Eastern.

Leonardo and Michelangelo painted jesus "white" during the Renaissance and that became the "definitive" versions of his image, and they were just portraying him as a Italian man, like everyone else in their paintings.

European paintings from the Medieval ages did the same whitewashing, most likely because, in the age of the Crusades, the Church was better off not reminding people they were praying to a little, brown Jew.

This racial artistic license isn't exclusive to white people, either, Jesus has been portrayed as Black, Hispanic and Asian, depending on who painted the picture.

Ismael

ps: I have no respect for you, my friend.

• MadGiant
  • MadGiant
  • MadGiant
    MadGiant

Birmingham, Alabama

Baptist Church

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

This is claimed to be an image of Christ in a Roman church, dated to 530CE, but I cannot get what I would regard as a proper reference.

and this well-known early example of anti-Christian graffiti, gives a non-Christian view

the text reads:

"Alexamenos worships [his] god."

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

and a little searching found this image of Mary with a rather older child Jesus, said to be in Entoto Museum in Addis Ababa.

File:Ethiopia African potrayal of Jesus.JPG

I think this suggests an adult Jesus would have a wild looking afro.

Reference: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ethiopia_African_potrayal_of_Jesus.JPG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit