Who the heck was Arius?

by Will Power 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Will Power
    Will Power

Re: previous discussions about the Should you believe in the trinity brochure.
    I found it surprising that the "truth[tm]" about the history of this little doctrine just plum forgot to include any reference whatsoever to Arius, one of the main characters in the story.
    There is much to read on this guy & his movement.

Arianism - a heresy of the Early Christian Church relating to definitions of the human or divine status of the person of Jesus Christ, was the first important doctrinal difficulty in the Church after the legalization of Christianity took place under Emperor Constantine I.

Arius was a priest of the Catholic Church in Alexandria, Egypt. In A.D. 321 he was condemned by a synod at Alexandria for teaching a heterodox view of the relationship of Jesus Christ to God the Father. Arius himself died without repudiating his doctrine. Arius and his followers agreed that Jesus was the son of God, but denied that they were one substance. Instead, they viewed God and the Son as being distinct. Jesus is, for Arianism, inferior or subordinate to God the Father. The specific summary statement that was rejected by the councils, is that "there was a time when Jesus Christ was not"; the rejected statement meant that Jesus was a created being, rather than being coeternal with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

Because Arius and his followers had great influence in the schools of Alexandria - predecessors of modern universities or seminaries - their theological views spread, especially in the eastern Mediterranean. By 325 the controversy had become significant enough that Emperor Constantine I called an assembly of bishops, the first Ecumenical council at Nicaea, modern Iznik,Turkey (the First Council of Nicaea). The arguments that prevailed at Nicaea were formulated in the Nicene Creed, still recited in Catholic and Orthodox services.

Despite the decision of the Council of Nicaea, Arianism not only survived but flourished for some time. The patronage of members of the imperial family allowed Arian bishops to rule in many centers. Having never converted any sizeable group of the laity, Arianism had died out inside the Empire by the 380s.

However, during the time of Arianism's flowering in Constantinople a missionary named Ulfilas was sent out to the Gothic barbarians across the Danube River. His initial success in converting this Germanic people to an Arian form of Christianity was strengthened by later events. When the Germanic peoples entered the Roman Empire and founded successor-kingdoms, many of them used their Arian religion to differentiate their people from the local inhabitants and maintain their group identity against the Catholic population. See: Ostrogoths, Visigoths, Vandals, Burgundians, Lombards. By the 8th century assimilation had ended any surviving Arian churches. Only the Franks among the Germanic peoples entered the empire as pagans and converted to Catholic Christianity directly.

The modern Jehovahs Witnesses espouse a form of Arianism today, explicitly agreeing with Arius. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not explicitly agree, but their belief is very similar. In some ways Jesus is seen as subordinate to God the Father (e.g., he acts on his Father's wishes), but the primary teaching is that as they are both perfect and free from sin, there is no possibility of a disagreement. They are always perfectly aligned and there is no need of establishing a hierarchy.

This, of course, is not to be confused with the Aryans? who invaded India long ago.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Will,

There's a great book titled "When Jesus Became God" by Richard E. Rubenstein, that discusses in great detail the Arian vs. the Athanasian views of Jesus Christ and his divinity. The conflict was very messy, and the author is a professor of Conflict Resolution and Public Affairs at George Mason University. The subtitle of the book is "The Epic Fight over Christ's Divinity in the Last Days of Rome" and the book is very entertaining though scholarly. Obviously, I highly recommend it for any who want to really probe the origins of the Trinity doctrine in the early church.

outnfree

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Arius' teaching was that Jesus was not of the SAME substance as God the father but of a LIKE Substance. Constantine had no real understanding of the whole arguement, but knew it was tearing his empire apart.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Bang
    Bang

Arius was excommunicated but Constantine ordered Athanasius to reconcile him with the church but Athanasius refused. After that Arius got the emperor Constantine to to order Alexander of Constantinople to give him communion but then he died suddenly before it could happen.

Insignificant as it seems, the doctrine of Arianism is a subtle infiltration that sets up two different camps. Originally the gnostics started questioning Christ's Deity (60-200) but that passed by the way as the catholics maintained that He was both truly Son and God. When the state accepted Christianity it started up again (313).

It ties in with pride in one's own works, others not deserving - just like the Phariseeism that He rebuked. Rather than Christ who lives in me, I did it. - and the Real God is mighty, that's who we love.

The "we follow him" becomes "we're earning it just like he did".
    Seems insignificant, but "...the serpent was the most subtle..."
    Very much the JW position.

The eastern religions don't seem to fall into this same position of pride, though I think that it may be present in fundamental Islam.

Bang

• Will Power
    Will Power

Outnfree
    thanks, I have already read that one. Many others as well, the topic is fascinating, I love history and I always learn something.
    The awesome accounts and descriptions of the intangible are worth the read, most times. I really enjoyed City of God, written by Augustine in 425ad. Very descriptive in parts.

I am not surprised the Arian Controversy was omitted from the WT's Trinity Brochure, it could have very well sparked some kind of independent research into the early church writings, and they'd have none of that!

• WireRider
    WireRider

I don't understand why the JW uses the "Bible". They are followers of Arius. Russel took interest in a long dead religion and thought he was onto some secret no one else knew. But when Arius exposed his view rejecting the believe in the Trinity - he was not only thrown out of the Council of Nicaea, but banished from the region. This left the bishops to choose from a 100s of gospels/books, they deemed worthy, to organize the New Testament with everything in alignment with the Trinity Doctrine. Everything revolves around the Trinity.

So why do the JW follow Arius when he was the one guy thoroughly kicked out of the "Bible creation/making committee" - all his papers ordered to be burned - banished - but they still use book? The Bible itself is a condemnation of the Arius/JW beliefs - that's they way it was put together intentionally.

I think it is also important to know history. Know where your religion comes from. And to know how the Bible was really created - as a political book to solve local unrest.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good points all ! it is strange indeed that the JW's will say that the Church got it wrong in the 320's C E, yet the JW's adhere to a Bible chosen by that same Church 60 or so years later, when a Canon of sorts was more or less agreed upon.

A Canon that, as you say Wire -Rider, was chosen to include nothing that gave rise to doubt about the Trinity, and contained much that supported it.

The JW's claim that the early Church went Apostate quite early, by about the mid 2nd century, so are not surprised at the Trinity winning out, but their acceptance of the canon means that their Bible is an Apostate Bible !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit