Why is shunning wrong?

by noonehome 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

The bible is the testimony of Christ and what he did as a man to show us the way to live in love and mercy for others. THe written word was for when we were under law which has been done away with, "you keepsearching thescriptures thinking in them you have life", we have life by the living word of him inside, whichshould flow once werelease ourselves of living under law, once we are the lord himself will teach each of us the way to walk andno one will needanyoneto teach usanything. Though we have to watch how we walk in that freedom as not an exuce to do whatever we want. SO Christ within is revealed in the fullness ,the fruits of which will be living a life of love and mercy for all

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I don't need a fictional Preacher from Nazareth to tell me how to behave in a loving and ethical way.

"Do the Most Good, and the Least Harm " is my Mantra.

I would not shun someone for thinking or believing differently than me, unless those thoughts and beliefs were evil, such as those held by suicide bombers or similar.

In which case it is the beliefs and actions of the person I shun, if the person truly left that course, I would accept them.

JW's would not see that there is a great difference between my view and theirs, but there is, mine is based upon the morals and ethics that I hold to, theirs is based upon instructions from men who simply wish to control them, and those they shun.

Many JW's deep down are not happy about the shunning, primarily because it does not sit right with the love shown by the Jesus of the Gospels.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

It would be a marvelous day if each and every jdub just STOPPED THE SHUNNING!

The borg can't df them all.

• Terry
    Terry

I'm currently facing a situation where I'm expected to shun a family member who was just recently disfellowshipped for apostasy (which is ridiculous...I've been mentally out for 2 years and all of a sudden this person steals my thunder out of nowhere?). Her and her husband were both regular pioneers literally weeks ago. I went to his public talk a few months ago. Of course I will not shun these people. In fact, I'm meeting them for breakfast. If anyone saw me with them that'd be it for me. I never thought THAT would be my exit.

1. Who are you? If you don't know who you are and what you are,

you won't be able to know what you think and how to behave in treating other people fair.

2. Do Jehovah's Witnesses define you? If so, that's all you'll ever be; a kind of sad, split-minded sock puppet.

3. How would Jesus treat the people you are told to shun? Would Jesus leave behind 99 sheep to go after the 1 stray or not?

4. Which is the more noble virtue: LOVE or Cold Indifference? Pick one and fear no man.

5. The way you treat others when they are down is the largest single indicator of what you are made of inside.

6. If you have a large group behind you telling you to treat somebody like dirt; that doesn't make you right; it makes all of you BULLIES.

7. What if you were decent to a DF'd person because you went to Jehovah in prayer and He told you to love and forgive the DF'd person and that is all you are doing? Are you not allowed to follow a conscience guided by prayer and holy spirit?

• stillin
    stillin

ONLY the elders are allowed to stretch the shunning rule! Others may not display Christian love at any time towards the DF'd one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit