What is up with the epidemic of sinkholes?

by EndofMysteries 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

This is definitely not a thing where media is paying more attention, they are definitely on the rise. Too bad the GB didn't think of foretelling that years ago haha.

I have only 2 theories, 1 is perhaps it's due to pesticides and acid rain, and if that is the case, then it will get REAL bad. Here is my theory.....rain and water that saturates the ground either from acid rain or chemicals had spread fairly evenly and started around the same times. Let's say as the water hit cavern walls, if it was acidic or certain chemicals they began to eat away at the walls. It might take 5, 10, 20, 50 years, but if the water and chemicals remained at a constant, then it once it hit the correct time, the cavern would cave in. So the reason why sinkholes are poping up all over is because those are the ones that had the thinnest cavern walls and they are all giving out at the same time now. This explains why all over the world this is happening, whether Florida, northern states, South America, Europe, etc. If this theory is true, then it's only just started and they will increase exponentially in size and frequency because it would be awhile before reaching the peak.

Theory 2 - continental shifts.

What are your thoughts on what's going on?

• Freedom77
    Freedom77

I'm no scientist, but here's a much simpler theory: with the increase in population in various places, too much water is being pumped out of the natural water table in order to support the population. Thus, things that have been stable for eons start caving in. Don't quote me on that, but I think I did read something to that effect a while back.

UPDATE: I didn't go looking for this but from my Google News page here's a National Geographic article under today's date with some pics and explanations. I think this is a more reliable source than any speculations you are likely to read on this board.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/07/140724-sinkhole-pictures-photos-geology-science/

• jgnat
    jgnat

The Russian sinkhole may be from melting permafrost.

Evidence that this has been going on for a while:

http://biblehub.com/numbers/16-32.htm0

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

This has been happening for several years at least...A former coworker still sends me articles about them from time to time...we always used to discuss what the cause was for these dang sinkholes...and my husband forbade me from talking about it around him because it started to scare him...one possible factor is the removal of water from underground by the bottled water companies...really there are likely many different causes. I wrote a book (fiction) about weather control and ran wild with some theories there...and the sinkholes motivated my book.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

they are definitely on the rise

Have you got any supporting evidence? It may seem that way due to the expansion of cities, but is it more common? Many sink holes have been the result of thousands of years of erosion.

It is probable that the removal of oil, water and fracking may also be having an affect.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I read a new theory; buildup of natural gas in caverns. Kaboom.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

underground mining, fracking, tunneling, and earthquakes moving water tables?

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Here in Florida sinkholes have been occurring for eons. The whole state has lots of sand and lots of limestone and lots of rain which causes erosion and either gradual or sudden collapses of ground. There are several sinkholes in Leon County, where I live. We even have a lake here, Lake Jackson, which periodically drains and disappears. It takes a long time for the rains to replenish it. I think we hear more about sinkholes now because we have an increase in population and instant communication, but I think it is debatable as to whether they are on the increase in Florida.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Where I live sinkholes have been occurring where there has been a combination of limestone and continual heavy rain.

• kaik
    kaik

EOM, sinkholes are naturally occuring phenomenon documented in the geological past for millions of years. What is happeing lately is combination of population growth and expansion of undeground sewer/pipelines that made ideal starting point for sinkholes. Majority of sinkholes in densly populated areas happened when underground waterway is bursted and flow of water washout soil and mineral deposits and creating an empty pocket that will eventually collapse under the weight. The collapse is speed up by vibrations from traffic and movement on the ground. Almost all major world cities have issue with sinkholes and often the source is eroded surface around the pipelines. States like Florida are specific due limestones that is much easier to erode, but the scenario is pretty much the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit