YOUNG EARTH?

by Terry 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

YOUNG EARTH CREATIONISTS (like Dr. John Morris) are taken to task in an article producing the following statistics:

LET'S BEGIN with today's population of the EARTH (estimated) 6,623,924,220. Call it 6 billion.

Now, let's go back to Noah and his family after the flood. Call it 8 persons.
    Our task is to get from 8 people to 6 billion.

Using simple math we can compute the minimum rate at which humans would need to reproduce to reach our goal.
    The figure is 2.432 children (average) for each male/female pairing.

That isn't too far-fetched, is it? Of course not!

But--let's take the baby steps necessary to get from 8 people to our goal of 6 billion.
    WHY? You might be very surprised!

Let's give Noah and his family plenty of head start and take the oldest presumed time of THE FLOOD: 2500 B.C.E.
    By the time of the Tower of Babel there would be 10 people around to have their languages confused! (20% increase)

By the time we get to ABRAM and his 318 servants we are in trouble! Why? The world population is only 31 people!
    That's 10 times more servants than the world population!

By the time we get to the EXODUS from Egypt the population of the world should have been 874 people.
    Moses tells us 600,000 along with a "mixed multitude."

HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!

Jump forward to David and his census which yields a figure of 1 1/2 million men.
    The world population at that time should have only produced 6 thousand 178 persons!

Does this make sense?
    What if the rate at which children were born is increased to the average of today? The average is 2.9.
    Where would that get us?
    We'd end up with a world population of: 334,190,590,114,412,000 people.
    6 billion people crammed into every square mile of Earth!

http://thechurchoftruth.wordpress.com/proof-of-age-of-earth/#population

http://www.jehovahswitnessblog.com/about/steve-mcroberts/

Visit and see what you think.

If the figures pan out, it is pretty embarrassing for Young Earth Creationists.

Check it out and test the math for yourself:

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Although the Witnesses are not young earthers, they are "young humanists", so it's definitely a relevant argument. A recent Watchtower study article had an illustration that, for any thinking person, pointed out the ridiculousness of the early expansion of humankind from 8 post-Flood humans to the city that was building the tower of Babel in something like 100 years (by JW chronology). Maybe someone can post it here. It showed a visual timeline with years for events like the Flood and the Babel incident.

• Focus
    Focus

Terry, your anomalies are easily resolved.

Of course the (geometric, i.e. percentage) rate of growth was not steady.

Girls were prettier in those days.

Closer to original perfection*, right, as the Adamic descent had barely started?

As a result other things happened a lot more often.

And about 9 months later other things happened a lot more often too.

So, you see, the Bible wins again!

Bzzzzt, sorry - but thanks for trying.

Ooops, just seen my blunder.

In "Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God", a great Watchtower publication from 1966, we learn that God brought animals to Adam in order to have sex with. Here, from pages 45-7:

21 Before the man (adám) ever asked for a human companion, God his Creator knew what was good for him. Of course, the man’s having a human companion could influence him for good or for bad, for obedience toward God or for disobedience toward God, for everlasting life or for everlasting death. But the “God of faithfulness” would provide a companion for Adam for good, toward his obedience, toward everlasting life. The Creation account makes all that plain, for, in Genesis 2:18, it reads: “And Jehovah God went on to say: ‘It is not good for the man [adám] to continue by himself. I am going to make a helper for him, as a complement of him.’”

22 Before God created anything new, a woman, God left the man free to determine whether there was a suitable companion for him among all the lower animals. He did not oblige the man to go seeking a companion among them, thus requiring the use of much time on the man’s part, but Jehovah God brought the various beasts of the earth and the flying creatures of the heavens before the man. God gave the man the freedom to name these creatures. But the perfect man, created in God’s image and according to God’s likeness, was not inclined to bestiality. He merely acquainted himself, unafraid, with them and named them, but he found among them no suitable companion for himself. As a lone human on earth he continued to worship his God and Creator, not lower animals. He needed no command from God against animal worship. He had just the one law against improper eating.—Genesis 2:19, 20.

23 After the man fully exercised his freedom to reject any of the lower creatures as a companion and helper for him, God acted. "Hence Jehovah God had a deep sleep fall upon the man and, while he was sleeping, he took one of his ribs and then closed up the flesh over it place. And Jehovah’s God proceeded to build the rib that he had taken from the man into a woman and to bring her to the man. Then the man said: ‘This is at last bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh. This one will be called Woman [Ishsháh], because from man [ish] this one was taken.’"—Genesis 2:21-23.

24 This reveals that God told the man just how the woman had been created, to show to the man that she was related to him in flesh and bone, for she was a part of him. Adam’s words on accepting the woman as his wife make plain that he exercised his free choice to have this woman as his helper and companion. She was the last one of the creatures that God brought to Adam to see which creature he would choose as his life-long companion. Then to show that they would have children who, in turn, would marry, God went on to say: “That is why a man [ish] will leave his father and his mother and he must stick to his wife and they must become one flesh.”—Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:4,5.

25 It was after the man accepted his perfect wife at God’s hands that God blessed them and told them to be fruitful (...)

While it isn't clear if Adam-of-the-Watchtower tried it out for a quickie, the WTS do make it clear that none attracted him enough to be a mate.

So God varied it a bit

And, judging by her appeal, I'd have thought it needed quite a few hundred generations before the birth-rate picked up.

So, you were right all along, Terry.

There's an(other) anomaly there.

__

Focus

("Quick to concede error" Class)

• TableForOne
    TableForOne

Nice post. Very thought provoking.

I quickly researched world population estimates through the ages, but the problem is that none of these satanic, worldy, so-called 'educated' people take into consideration that there were only 8 people alive on the earth after the God of Love brought the flood.

Idiots

TF1

• James Brown
    James Brown

It is something to think about.

I don't think people back then only had 2.4 children.

I think they bred like mormans.

The 2.4 or something like that is an average from the flood till today but not an average from

the flood until Davids census.

I have been in the stock market when for 20 years it averaged a 15% return a year.

During Bush's time in office it didnt make anything or something close to nothing.

The big picture average of anything is not like the short term or small picture average.

• sir82
    sir82

Terry, Terry, Terry....

You seem to have forgotten that people routinely lived to age 400 or so after the flood. Plenty of time for 200 or 300 children per couple, not "2.9".

This is all Bible-based.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Do you think that a time comes when christians realize that their arguments don't hold water (especially when it came to science)?
    When they will begin some honest research to see if they could defend Christianity with absolute intellectual honesty.

Christianity is not only indefensible; it is self-contradictory and easily disprovable.

http://youtu.be/w5eFM6C3lfc

• Terry
    Terry

1966, we learn that God brought animals to Adam in order to have sex with

HA HA HA, yes Focus--I really do remember that. Came as a surprise to me that Jehovah offered a bestial dating service!

You seem to have forgotten that people routinely lived to age 400 or so after the flood. Plenty of time for 200 or 300 children per couple, not "2.9".

This is all Bible-based.

Yep--I missed that one!

• sir82
    sir82

Didn't the LONG LIVES end after the flood?

Genesis chapter 11:

This is the history of Shem.+ Shem was 100 years old when he became father to Ar·pach′shad+ two years after the Flood. 11 After becoming father to Ar·pach′shad, Shem continued to live 500 years. And he became father to sons and daughters.+ 12 Ar·pach′shad lived for 35 years and then became father to She′lah.+ 13 After becoming father to She′lah, Ar·pach′shad continued to live 403 years. And he became father to sons and daughters. 14 She′lah lived for 30 years and then became father to E′ber.+ 15 After becoming father to E′ber, She′lah continued to live 403 years. And he became father to sons and daughters. 16 E′ber lived for 34 years and then became father to Pe′leg.+ 17 After becoming father to Pe′leg, E′ber continued to live 430 years. And he became father to sons and daughters.

• Terry
    Terry

This is the history of Shem.+ Shem was 100 years old when he became father to Ar·pach′shad+ two years after the Flood. 11After becoming father to Ar·pach′shad, Shem continued to live 500 years. And he became father to sons and daughters.+ 12Ar·pach′shad lived for 35 years and then became father to She′lah.+ 13 After becoming father to She′lah, Ar·pach′shad continued to live 403 years. And he became father to sons and daughters. 14 She′lah lived for 30 years and then became father to E′ber.+ 15 After becoming father to E′ber, She′lah continued to live 403 years. And he became father to sons and daughters. 16 E′ber lived for 34 years and then became father to Pe′leg.+ 17 After becoming father to Pe′leg, E′ber continued to live 430 years. And he became father to sons and daughters.

I must have been thinking of something my old Congregation Overseer said about "Now that the sun's radiation wasn't blocked by the water gathered in the heavens, man's lifespan began to deteriorate." Or somesuch ad hoc idea.

I'm just sitting here thinking how many billion more overcrowded the Earth would be if human "beans" had lived that long.

As mentioned in the article above. 2.9 children per couple would result in 6 Billion persons per square mile. Yipes!

(Notice I used Watch Tower revisionism to eliminate my reference to 'long lives' from the comment above!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit