so when exactly did babylon the great fall?

by Crazyguy 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

In another thread a sister is being told that Babylon the great fell in 1918 but all growing up I was taught that Babylon the great was about to be destroyed by the UN. So what am I missionng here or are they caught in a blatant contradiction? Or was I hearing it wrong?

It's not a contradiction per se. The teaching is that Babylon's fall in 1918-1919 was like the whore falling from the beast that she had been seated upon. She has not been devoured, however, which is a future event. Apparently there's a hundred-year interval while the beast sniffs her and decides whether to eat her.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Hmmm. Whore-sniffing beasts.

Sounds like a new TV series in the making.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

CrazyGuy:

We had a discussion about Babylon the Great's fall on this thread.

I held to the position that in the context of John being told this (Rev 18:2, 4; late 1st century), it referred to pagandom being opened up to the spread of Christianity, similar to ancient Babylon's fall to Persia which opened up the way for Jews to return home. In the case of ancient Babylon, here complete desolation did not occur until centuries later. Same for Babylon the Great: She falls in the sense of being unable to hold on to her adherants with regard to the spread of Christianity. At a much later time she is wiped out completely (Isa 2:18-21).

Bobcat

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

As per Rev 18:4 (if I remember right) I got out of her about 2 1/2 years ago. This scripture was pounded into the JW brain as long as I can remember. The society also said (I forgot which publication) that Babylon the Great also fell in the sense that her "waters dried up" meaning the doctrines and edicts coming from the churches no longer influenced its members. Kinda like JW's huh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit