If END is Imminent, Why Witness in Silence in Public Places?

by ProfCNJ 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

We were taught for 100 years that the END or Armageddon is IMMINENT, as if it is coming in a hurry. But look now at the new way of sharing God's Kingdom in UK which I find as a complete irony. *

"Thousands have switched tactics to stand on street corners in more than a dozen cities across Britain - and unusually for public preachers, they are staying almost completely silent... Unl ike other evangelical preachers, they do not shout or call attention to themselves - instead standing in near-silence until someone approaches them."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2691254/How-Jehovahs-Witnesses-got-street-smart-Believers-swap-infamous-doorstepping-standing-outside-train-stations-shops.html

QUESTIONS:

1) If we are preaching with a sense of urgency - a matter of life and death - then why do it in silence, why be passive at this stage in history? Should it not be the reverse?

2) As the big day draws near, would it not be more logical to up the speed in reaching out to people for them to ACT without delay instead of standing in silence near a display stand of religious literature?

3) Would this approach send a CONFUSING signal to the rest of JW community as well as to those to whom they have preached?

Your thoughts and comments appreciated. :)

* reports point to other parts of Asia, including the Philippines.

• kaik
    kaik

When I was a kid my JW aunt that destroyed my childhood and family by dragging my parents into the faith told me back in time when Cold War was in the peak, and Berlin Wall was standing, exactly the same words: urgency, imminent, armageddon, last breath of Satan, death and destruction is upon the world, etc... Decades later, Berlin Wall faded into history and new generation was born, and became young adult. My aunt turned into ashes, and she have not seen the world to end as she expected. 40 year later, you will hear the same urgency nonsense in 2054 as the world's end is upon as.. bla, bla

And standing silence in the subway and train station is around since mid 1980's. But in USA I had encountered couple crazies, mostly afro-americans who were shouting on the streets waving WT up in the air and preaching the end. Only end I am preparing is the biological, that is ineviteble for any of as, and I hope it comes many, many, years in the future.

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

Hi there kaik. The Society has been consistent about this - they talk about destruction of the world coming without delay YET they ACT and organize activities that would seemingly defeat the same message.

Assume a sinking ship, and a few know about the real situation. Will these few men stay in silence, just watch and let others approach them, before warning them of the impending disaster? Or will they create an unimaginable noise to alarm everybody else to SAVE them from tragedy?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Isn't to "witness in silense" an oxymoron ? The WT/JW.Org outfit seems simply to be intent on giving its members things to do that give them a sense that they are actually achieving something.

If the R&F had the critical thinking skills to analyse their "work", they would realise they achieve just two things, not much and sod all.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

QUESTIONS:

1) If we are preaching with a sense of urgency - a matter of life and death - then why do it in silence, why be passive at this stage in history? Should it not be the reverse?

Because the Governing Body say so and they are Holier than God himself.

2) As the big day draws near, would it not be more logical to up the speed in reaching out to people for them to ACT without delay instead of standing in silence near a display stand of religious literature?

Because the Governing Body say so and they are Holier than God himself.

3) Would this approach send a CONFUSING signal to the rest of JW community as well as to those to whom they have preached?

The Governing Body command it thus and they are Holier than God himself so who cares.

• sir82
    sir82

Here in the mid-size US city where I live, I have seen the trolley cart set up near the central intersection of the downtown business district.

I've never seen anyone approach it, not even give it more than a glance.

There is also a chanting Hare Krishna dude who sets up shop nearby. I have a hunch that most people view them (JW trolley, Hare Krishna dude) as merely different flavors of crazy.

• Ding
    Ding

Same reason why the WT doesn't put its "urgent life saving message" on TV and radio...

No matter, though.

JWs won't ask why.

That's independent thinking.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ProfCNJ:

I believe the reason the JWs are silent at those carts is twofold: they do not want to attract negative attention with raised voices or debating or arguing; and secondly, I believe modern day JWs just cannot defend or explain their beliefs and are reduced to simply handing out literature.

It is also safer for them because they do not come into contact with people who have left the religion and might plant a seed of doubt in their minds.

Sir82:

I am inclined to agree with you and think the public also views them the way they view other religions that set up tables in public: and that is negatively.

Those carts (along with the religion's new logo) only make the religion look more commercial in my opinion and I feel that is how it deserves to be viewed!

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

These are common now in NYC.

On Sunday i was on Central Park West and i saw a cart with two sistahz, and they were surrounded by what seemed like a group of asian tourists, who were obviously intrigued by the cart with books.

In reality this always happened. I recall always seeing a few JWs in high traffic areas just standing there holding a few mags waiting for someone to pick them up. The only differentce is that the rest of JWs used to look down at them as being lazy. Now its accepted, and they also have a cart.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

A lot of people don't realize this, but prosyletizing isn't primarily about converting/recruiting.

It's about reinforcing solidarity within the group.

I clued into this even way back when I was still in and active.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit