District Convention

by thedog1 17 Replies latest jw friends

• thedog1
    thedog1

Don't know if this has been covered before, but who noticed that at every talk at the District Convention (mine anyway), every speaker was introduced by name and then 'Brother X has been serving for 25 years as a pioneer" or "He has served on the branch committee" etc etc.

What is it with these credentials? I've been an elder on and off for most of the last twenty years. Big deal. Is Jesus impresssed? Isn't just being a faithful Christian enough?

• KateWild
    KateWild

It's peer pressure to conform to God's "arrangement" and apply Matt 6.33. No appt means poor spiritual health. Kate xx

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Wasn't just yours. Being the first DC I've been to while completely awake (in more ways than one) it was difficult to tell if it was new or just something I only noticed now that I was paying attention to all the hypocricy. There was a lot of "helper to the GB" introductions, as well as introductions for COs and COBEs.

Good thing we're in an organization where people aren't seeking recognition or titles!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I've heard that kind of thing off and on at DCs and sometimes even Circuit Assemblies for 30 years.

I think they think it adds credibility.

It's better than:

"And Brother Numbnuggets, who has been faithfully drinking the Kool-Aid in assorted flavors for over 40 years, will now speak to us on the thrilling Bible subject, "Why 100 Years of Absolutely Nothing Happening as We've Said it Would Is Actually Solid Proof of Divine Blessing!" Brother Numbnuggets, you have our attention .... "

- -

• BU2B
    BU2B

They have always done this at the DC/RC

• KateWild
    KateWild

"And Brother Numbnuggets, who has been faithfully drinking the Kool-Aid in assorted flavors for over 40 years, will now speak to us on the thrilling Bible subject, " Why 100 Years of Absolutely Nothing Happening as We've Said it Would Is Actually Solid Proof of Divine Blessing! " Brother Numbnuggets, you have our attention .... "-Oub

hahaha!!! Very crass, but true and funny. Kate xx

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

So much for JW's not having "higher clergy", huh? I heard this occasionally while growing up at conventions, but the deliberate increase in such mentions is meant to drive home the most recent sinister point: LOYALTY to the Organization. Are you loyal to JW.org? Brother LicksLettsBrownEye is, and we are telling you so from the podium! What's your excuse, Brother Researchesondainternetz? It's just more guilt and power tactics shoved in your face. There is absolutely nothing "humble" about this farce of a religion.

- Wing Commander

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

Oubliette- you just made me laugh until I had a tear running down my cheek. Thank you.

• Tech49
    Tech49

I noticed this little phenomenon as well, seemed to me to be the first time it was so obvious and in-your-face, and i thought it was a bit much. Glorified titles? The not-so-subtle implication that the words spoken by these "holy ones" are to be taken as directly from Ghova himself? And that anyone else, even a faithful brother or sister of many years, is lesser somehow? For all the hype about "no clergy class", it sure looks like there is one to me!

Do you think you could ever go up to a "GB HELPER" and get them to join you and your family for dinner at the steakhouse, in jeans and a tshirt, just for a casual beer and a chat? Nope, never would happen, you wouldnt even get near one of the "dukes".

The superior attitudes and titles are demeaning to the rank and file. Admit it or not, there certainly is an upper crust, and a crowd of crumbs.

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

Is "GB Helper" anything like Hamburger Helper?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit