Jehovah's Witnesses and Race/Culture

by kneehighmiah 26 Replies latest jw friends

• never a jw
    never a jw

I can't speak for white people because I am not. But certainly Hispanic congregations don't fit the lack of fun and love that are often described here by some posters. The Hispanic JW's are sincere, very friendly and loving. They love music and dancing. They laugh easily. Also, Hispanics are not very good at observing shunning rules either, especially with close relatives. So, to some degree, I confirm the opening comment

So what may be the difference between white and non-white. White seems more cold and rational, non-white seems more warm and emotional. Where do I fit?: the cold and rational, but brown.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Oh, I don't know, some cultures are more demonstrative than others that's for sure but that doesn't make all white people cold nor is it a true gauge of true character I am sure the mafia can throw a spririted party. It's like the old cliche of rich people are dishonest poor people are noble sort of thing. It's more to do with culture than skin colour I think.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I don't think it is people who make certain ways of acting predominate but the strength of the worldview that is adopted and then too how far it is practiced and then this feeds back into people's behaviour to make it even more pronounced. I think, and you all can disagree with me, the mindset that came to dominate in Britain may have had its seeds sown during the French Revolution in response to what seemed to be a lack of propriety and unruliness in France. in fact wouldn't the latter two qualities argue for white people being hugely demonstrative and full of feeling?!!! before this event I would argue British were as merry and full of dancing and laughter as anyone else. think of the courts of some of the kings and queens!!!

pls don't take what I argue above too seriously as these are only of the top of my head thoughts. But I think there may be some truth at least in the above

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

another thing that jI just thought of, every high street in the UK comes alive in the evenings and at night increasing at the weekend - this is when young people throw off their inhibitions, laugh, joke and dance away the night

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

As a suggestion, the following YouTube videos are from Marcus Vaughn (a.k.a. Wallkill Bethelite), who profiled the issue concerning the BORG and race, particularly with Bethel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk1xh1EGJcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfL-XpgCUiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkCrHprWXik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2yH_eGnJqk

These videos are, imvho, informative as well as eye-openers, when it comes to the way the BORG looks/treats the R&F!

• Ray Frankz
    Ray Frankz

The GB are recentely pushing this on everybody> "Look we are really a world-wide brotherhood. Look this pictures of african brothers and sisters waving to a selfie. There are all kinds of people with us."

except if they wear a beard. In this case they kick you no matter your race.

• Sorry
    Sorry

Having been to the Spanish congregation, an all black congregation and a black church (oh the horror), this post is 100% accurate. When u first went to my aunt's church, I was bewildered, yet entertained. Everyone was so lively, and so many people would about out their agreement from their seat. I like it because that told me they were genuinely believing what they heard. Not to mention, most were pretty nice,al awesome people. Sure you have the nosy gossipers and judgmental Judy's. Buy everyone was real. What you saw was what you got, and I appreciate that. Ever since, I can't stand how subdued the KH is and how the dubs talk shit about people shouting their praises in church.

I went to the Spanish congregation in my old city for a couple of weekends and went to a ton of gatherings. Beautiful music and a ton of dancing. No one complained, and the atmosphere was so relaxing. You could even dance with the opposite sex and no one raised an eyebrow. I was in love.

My current cong is mostly black, but it is cliquey and kind of snooty and uptight. My old one, was pretty fun. Many of the people were so sweet and put a lot of emphasis on family values, so I knew a few who had DF or inactive family yet still kept in contact with them. The environment was pretty relaxing, engaging and forgiving.

And this is why "I don't like the people at the hall." is a legitimate excuse for not attending. The people can make or break your experience and determine if you still want to bother.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit