Jesus use of illustrations in wt July 7-13

by What is Truth? 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• What is Truth?
    What is Truth?

This is the first time I noticed how dumb JC's use of illustrations could be if that's all he did in the context of

Matt. 13:10-15 ) So the disciples came and said to him: “Why do you speak to them by the use of illustrations?” 11 In reply he said: “To you it is granted to understand the sacred secrets of the Kingdom of the heavens, but to them it is not granted. 12 For whoever has, more will be given him, and he will be made to abound; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 13 That is why I speak to them by the use of illustrations; for looking, they look in vain, and hearing, they hear in vain, nor do they get the sense of it. 14 And the prophecy of Isaiah is being fulfilled in their case. It says: ‘You will indeed hear but by no means get the sense of it, and you will indeed look but by no means see. 15 For the heart of this people has grown unreceptive, and with their ears they have heard without response, and they have shut their eyes, so that they might never see with their eyes and hear with their ears and get the sense of it with their hearts and turn back and I heal them.’

For someone said to come here to save all mankind, Jesus does not seem to concerned about ones that might have misunderstood him and will now miss out on the kingdom.

If you were here to bring a massage that would stop all suffering on earth how might you go about sharing it?

14 “You are the light of the world. A city cannot be hid when located on a mountain. 15 People light a lamp and set it, not under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it shines on all those in the house. 16 Likewise, let your light shine before men, so that they may see your fine works and give glory to your Father who is in the heavens.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

It might fit in with Matthew 7:6 (“Do not give what is holy to dogs nor throw your pearls before swine.”)

Rather than ask what Jesus meant, ask yourself who were the writers and why did they say this? Whom were they talking about and talking to?

Always remember that not one of the NT writers had actually seen or heard Jesus. They were writing a generation later, and each writing group was operating with religio-political agendas that developed since Jesus' death.

We can safely say that the "Matthew" authors were part of the Jewish-Christian community. That group, originally based at Jerusalem, operated in opposition to Paul, who was based at Antioch. I do not know, but it is not impossible that the "Matthew" writing group were throwing a few barbs at their Gentile-Christian "brethren".

Looking at the Bible from the outside in provides a valuable understanding.

Doug

• smiddy
    smiddy

Always remember that not one of the NT writers had actually seen or heard Jesus. and each writing group was operating with religio-political agendas that developed since Jesus' death.

{"They were writing a generation later, " Is that a WT interpretation of a generation ? I`m sorry I couldnt resist it.}

None of the NT writers had actually seen or heard Jesus .. Really ? is this true ? Why do millions of people beleive christianity ?

You tell me.

smiddy

• prologos
    prologos

smiddy, : right! these writers/compilers were overlapping generations too. even the manuscripts were catalogued into generations.

They were generating the bible canon after all.

sometimes out of thin air.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

It was not until the 4th century that a NT list was termed Canon.

The Church operated for 400 years at least before it had a Bible. The Church created the Bible based on what it considered to be orthodox ("right beliefs"). Beliefs created the Bible, not the other way around.

Regarding the NT writers: Paul was the chronologically first writer and his claim to fame was that Jesus visited him in visions. He says so. Paul also says that he received nothing about Jesus from other men. He says so. The earliest writers after Paul (died about 64 CE) lived about the time of Jerusleam's destruction, which is a generation after Jesus' death. No one knows the names of the Gospel writers. Only later tradition assigned names; one criterion for accepting a writing into the NT was "apostolicity", so an Apostle's name was assigned to each (apart from the Greek Luke).

There was no consciousness of a biblical canon in the first century; the earliest list was by the (supposed) heretic Marcion.

Out of interest, took at the llist of books in the earliest known Codices (and their dates). (The Jews used scrolls; the Christians used the codex format.)

Doug

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Millions of people belive in Islam, Hinduism,Buddhism,Judaism,Christianity because it gives them comfort, and/or a reason to look down on other people.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Does the massage that ends all suffering have a happy ending?

Sorry...I'm an ass. I'll see myself out...

• Pistoff
  • Terry
    Terry

I attended some lectures of the so-called JESUS SEMINAR a number of years ago.

Quite fascinating in the extreme.

The lectures and discussion afterward were held at the local TEXAS CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY.

I thought to myself--"Really? A "Christian university is allowing this?"

The audience was quite receptive--but I think that might be a bias of filtering.

Why would a Conservative attend such a thing in the first place?

There was only one fellow who asked a question with barbs in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Seminar

At any rate--I say all the above to say this:

It struck me at the time, the Bible was assembled in probably the same process the Jesus Seminar uses to deconstruct it.

How . . . um . . .symmetrical!

• Perry
    Perry

Always remember that not one of the NT writers had actually seen or heard Jesus.

I always get my giggle box cranked when someone says "always remember" about something that they have zero personal knowledge about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit