Meditation linked to increased age, health, and smarts?

by EndofMysteries 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I recently read how advanced meditation increases the brains waves, higher frequency alpha waves which is linked to higher state of consciousness and intelligence.

Now I saw this article, http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/10/health/can-meditation-really-slow-aging/index.html?hpt=hp_c3 that it also increases life and health, etc.

I haven't really read or researched meditation but I was wondering if anybody has got into it, into a 'non religious' aspect of it. What are your thoughts and experiences with it?

• Pinku
    Pinku

According to JWs, when you meditate, you actually empty your mind which will invite evil spirits to lodge into your mind.

Yet we find Jesus lavishly engaging in meditation (Mark 1:35; John 8:1, 2; Luke 5:16; 6:12; Mathew 14:23)

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I practice meditation daily and I highly recommend it. I found out late in life that I have ADD, meditation helps me calm my brain down to stay focused, so I am more productive. It helps you deal with stress and who doesn't have that, especially as ex JWs? By meditating I have managed to keep my blood pressure in check, even though I am older and overweight.

It's easy to do, and completely free also. The Watchtower is completely off the rails by linking meditation to demon attacks. While it is used as part of some religious practices, that is by no means necessary, there are many ways to meditate.

It does take time and practice, but the more you do it the better you get at it. Even five minutes a day can give you benefits, so there is no reason you couldn't do it.

I personally find good meditation music to be essential, I have Pandora on my Kindle and I created a station my putting "meditation by the sea" as I like water sounds. I especially like music by Dueter, so if you don't have Pandora, any of his CDs work.

For a quick fix, here is an easy meditation: close you eyes and open your mouth slightly to make sure your jaws are not tense. Then breath in slowly through your mouth for eight seconds (one thousand one, one thousand two, etc), hold your breath for eight seconds, then exhale slowly through your mouth for eight seconds.

Do this two or three times, you will find you feel refreshed and calmer.

• monis1
    monis1

i meditate a couple days a week. i am not very good at it; i have yet to achieve deep meditation. But it relaxes me at the very least.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

I should do this more. I am a lucid dreamer and thus find my meditation in nightly dreams.

(To be honest I am spritual though an athiest)

• Brokeback Watchtower
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I meditate regularly and it has been life changing for me. While meditation is used as part of a religious practice, it is not religious of itself, there are all different ways to meditate. Meditation is about controlling your breathing to induce a relaxed state in the mind. It has been proven to reduce stress, lower blood pressure and improve mood. It's free, not difficult and has no negative effects, so there really is no downside. I believe meditation should be taught in school, we would have a lot less stress, depression and conflict if every person meditated.

I have ADHD, which I only discovered a few years ago. I now know it's why I struggled in school despite an above average IQ, why I had trouble paying attention at meetings, why I was disorganised. Meditation has helped me a great deal to slow down my busy brain, improve my focus and be more organized. I also reduced my blood pressure from a borderline high 140 to a healthy 118, with no medication. After several years of dabbling with it off and on, I finally got serious recently and I am seeing a huge payoff in increased memory, focus and productivity.

It's certainly worth giving it a try. It does take practice to become good at it, but it is not difficult. There are a lot of ways to meditate, so if one doesn't work, try another one that works for you. I find it helps to have music, but it has to be the right kind. I have Pandora, so I created a station called "Meditation by the sea" that has very calming music with added nature sounds (as an added plus the cat loves it and it seems to calm her down too). It also functions as a timer by using the the sleep timer function under settings. If you don't use Pandora, use a regular timer, five or ten minutes is good to start out with. You need to find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed. Find a comfortable position, close your eyes and think about your body, make sure you are not tensing your muscles. Think about each part of your body and notice if the muscles are relaxed or not. You can tense them, then release the tension to be sure.

Then slowly breath in through your nose and exhale through your mouth. As you breath, think about your breath, the noise the air makes as you breathe in and out, how the air feels in your lungs, the pressure change as you exhale, the sound it makes. Try to focus only on that. Other thoughts will intrude, but just dismiss them and go back to focusing only on your breath. The first five minutes will seem like thirty, that is normal. Keep bringing your attention back to your breath. In our hurry up culture our brains are used to constant stimulation so your brain will rebel at being forced to stop the constant stream of conscious thought. This is normal, keep at it and keep bringing your mind back to your breath. Every day add a few minutes. You will find that it gets easier with time, and you will then start seeing the benefit.

You can also try a guided meditation, you can easily find them on line. You just listen as someone talks you through a meditation.

I also like a meditation where instead of focusing on the breath you focus on a pleasant scene that is relaxing to you. I like to visualize being at the beach. You simply visualize the sights, sounds and smells of being at the beach. Think about how the sand feels between your toes, how the air smells, the crash of the waves,etc.

That's it, easy peazy.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It's getting to the point where just about everything the WTS tells you not to do is actually good for you.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yes, that's pretty much true. That's notion that meditation is in any way associated with demons is completely baseless, yet it's one thing ex JWs are often still afraid of. As JWs we were often forced to bury or hide our true feelings, it was just not acceptable to voice discontent with any part of JW life, you feel guilty for even thinking about some things. Years of living like that is very detrimental to the psyche, it's kind of like being in an abusive relationship. Of course the ideal would be therapy or counseling, but not everyone has that available to them. Even if you do have access to therapy, meditation would be helpful to deal with difficult emotions and buried feelings.

It's a shame more people do not try it.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    I guess getting those prefrontal lobes firing real good which increases their power over or inhibiting the limbic system system through meditation has it's benefits. Hey no brainer during lunch and break just close you eyes for 10 minutes and concentrate on your slowed relaxed breath and reap the benefits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit