Did anyone ever rent a home or apartment from a "brother"?

by keyser soze 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

What was the experience like? I have to say it was rather eye-opening for me. I lived with my brother and then sister-in-law in an apartment building owned by a brother and his wife.

Besides the fact that they would constantly enter the place while we were out, without any kind of advance notification, they would procrastinate whenever there was maintenance work that needed to be done. Sometimes it would take months before they would get to it. Their excuse was always that the work that needed to be done would interfere with meetings or service. Apparently this was supposed to make living in substandard conditions acceptable to us. I wonder if they used that excuse with the non-JWs that were renting out the other two units.

• Clambake
    Clambake

I knew a young catholic couple who were given basically half price on their rent , provided they studied with the elder who owned the house they were renting. Once they got to the point about killing your children over blood transfusions, it was basically “ wow, we really have to stop renting and buy a house, any house. “

So they did.

Study ended.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

keyser soze:

I once did this and it was a mistake that I would never repeat. I had every issue you could imagine!

Of course, now that I am not in the religion it will never again be a problem.

• AnneB
    AnneB

I wonder if they used that excuse with the non-JWs that were renting out the other two units.

Did you ever ask them?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I've seen things from the flip side. JWs can make terrible tenants.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

A brothers (now an ex-brother) mother lived in a big home by herself and one of sisters in the Cong convinced her to rent a room to a guy who was studying, "he's so nice and he knows it's the truth" . . . . . Sorry to say this guy killed the brothers mother and he was found guilty and serving time.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Did you ever ask them?

Didn't need to. Just like we didn't need to ask the pioneer wife if she used either of the other two units for her mid-morning service break while the residents were at work. We already knew the answer.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I know of a case where an elder and his wife rent to another Witness. Well,this person that rents off of them,was recently disfellowshipped. Now,they want to kick them out. I don't see that as a legal,just cause to kick a tenant out.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ShirleyW:

Sorry to hear that sad story about the kind woman who took somebody into her home because she was told "he's so nice and he knows it's the truth", then she gets murdered.....I bet they squashed this story in the hall and nearby areas because they don't want JWs to know they are in danger from their witness work.

You cannot be this trusting!!

I also realized back then that I could be in danger from the brother leading the car group. I remember criticizing somebody years ago because he thought he was going to stop us car load of sisters and pick-up some homeless guy he witnessed to!!... I told him "you better do this when you are alone..not with me in the car". I was furious about this.

Tragic stories like you related are more common than you might imagine in the Jehovah's Witness religion, buy they are covered up. Nowadays it is more dangerous than ever since many people coming into the religion in recent years have serious issues. Some are downright dangerous. Then, the clueless JWs who study with them imagine they are going to introduce them to the unsuspecting people in the kingdom hall.... Well...they are not introducing them to ME.

Even though I am not in the religion anymore and am just a spectator, it gripes me that stories like this are kept hidden from rank and file witnesses.... So, they go tripping merrily along and think they have angelic protection and walk head-on into treacherous situations OR are encouraged to be in close proximity to dangerous people all the while thinking - well..he/she is studying so it's okay... Umm, NO.

This is why I am glad I'm not there anymore.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Just like we didn't need to ask the pioneer wife if she used either of the other two units for her mid-morning service break while the residents were at work.

WTF?!? Were other JWs in her group going into your home too on break?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit