Are You Right or Left Brain Dominant?

by cofty 28 Replies latest social physical

• Simon
    Simon

I remember hearing how people are either creative types or scientific types ... the reality is that lots of the creative endeavours require scientific understanding and hard work and science often involves a lot of imagination. A lot of great artists used to be the great scientists of their day (ok, Da Vinci was at least).

I think the real divide is thinkers vs non-thinkers ...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I think the real divide is thinkers vs non-thinkers ...

Everyone thinks. The question is how much complex thought does a person put into something. Some people have stronger high order thinking skills than others do.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Everyone knows that the real divide is dog people and cat people... never the twain shall meet.

• Gregor
    Gregor

My youngest son, growing up, excelled in math. By 10th grade he had left algebra and was into advanced calculus and triganometry (which completely left me out of helping with homework) . He breezed through a degree in engineering and then got a masters in economics.

This was not due to any environmental influences, he just has a knack for it.

PS He is right handed, Bi-polar and is managing very well.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I did the hand test. It was weird to switch them around. Who knows what it means. LOL!! I can only guess.

Sorry Cofty, I couldn't resist. Seriously, if the myth is debunked then he hand test means nothing, except that for some reason we prefer to lace our hands a particular way.

DD

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I'm pretty sure I know a few people that only use 0% of their brain.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Simon: I remember hearing how people are either creative types or scientific types ... the reality is that lots of the creative endeavours require scientific understanding and hard work and science often involves a lot of imagination. A lot of great artists used to be the great scientists of their day

ROCK STAR SCIENTISTS:

Did you know?

Many notable scientists were also very talented artists and musicians, (or perhaps you prefer to view them as talented artists that also did science, … whatever!) As part of my research for a recent school project I came across these short biographical sketches of two very remarkable individuals that distinguished themselves in both disciplines:

• Brian May: “The guitarist for a little band called Queen, he is consistently ranked as one of the greatest guitarists of all time. He also has a Ph.D. in astrophysics. May studied physics and mathematics at Imperial College, London and was in the process of getting his Ph.D. when Queen hit it big. Thirty years later, in 2007, he completed his dissertation. Yes, the man who wrote ‘We Will Rock You' also wrote A Survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Dust Cloud. You probably know the words to only one of these” (Trendacosta, 2011). Yeah, another one bites the dust!
    • Albert Einstein: According to Albert, "The greatest scientists are artists as well" (Calaprice, 2000, 245). Indisputably one of the greatest physicists of all time, he was also a fine amateur pianist and violinist. He is well known for his statement that, for creative works in science, "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

So who are your favorite Rock-star Scientists?

- - - - - - - - - - -

References:

• Calaprice, Alice. (Ed.). (2000). The Expanded Quotable Einstein. Princeton, N. J.: Princeton University Press.
    • Trendacosta, K. (2011). 10 scientist rock stars. io9. Retrieved April 12, 2014, from http://io9.com/5810217/10-scientist-rock-stars
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

This guy ... .

Brian May

is also this guy:

also Brian May

• jgnat
    jgnat

"The preference to use one brain region more than others for certain functions, which scientists call lateralization, is indeed real"

This is likely the source of the dominance theory in the first place.

http://www.livescience.com/39373-left-brain-right-brain-myth.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit