Clean the JUNK out of your vocabulary and it follows, you will clean up your ability to THINK

by Terry 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

RELIGION's method of arriving at "truth" is : Authority says it is so.

1. Scripture: on the surface, whatever the text says is so.

2. Interpretation of #1 by 'proper' human authority

If duly authorized human authority makes a "true" pronouncement which is testable (i.e. prediction/prophecy) and it doesn't happen, then:

1. Scripture: is corrupt

2. Human error

Let's take FAITH as an example.

JOHN 14: 19 "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son."

Go ahead and try that. Match your results against scripture.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

That's what really SCARES ME--that I'll end up conscious some place without escape.

You see, in this life, if things become unbearable you can always blow your----brain meat---out of your head. - Terry

If you do not like your own consciousness, then you really need professional help

or anti-depressant drugs. Cosciousness and mood states can be altered by

various means. If you cannot access joy or feel love or excitement and anticipation

anymore it may be hormonal or lack of exercise or lack of meaningful work or

good company. Try getting out more and/or helping others and feeling useful.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

The idea of gods and goddesses inspiring writings and the arts comes from Greek mythology but then Paul had a classical education so he would have known that.

The Muses, the personification of knowledge and the arts, especially literature, dance and music, are the nine daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne(memory personified). Hesiod's account and description of the Muses was the one generally followed by the writers of antiquity. It was not until Roman times that the following functions were assigned to them, and even then there was some variation in both their names and their attributes: Calliope (epic poetry), Clio (history), Euterpe (flutes and lyric poetry), Thalia (comedy and pastoral poetry), Melpomene (tragedy), Terpsichore(dance), Erato (love poetry), Polyhymnia (sacred poetry), and Urania (astronomy).

Three ancient Muses were also reported in Plutarch's Quaestiones Convivales [8] (9.I4.2–4). [9] The Roman scholar Varro relates that there are only three Muses: one who is born from the movement of water, another who makes sound by striking the air, and a third who is embodied only in the human voice. They were Melete or Practice, Mneme or Memory and Aoide or Song.

Gustave Moreau, Hesiod and the Muse (1891)— Musée d'Orsay , Paris

However the Classical understanding of the muses tripled their triad, set at nine goddesses, who embody the arts and inspire creation with their graces through remembered and improvised song and stage, writing, traditional music, and dance.

In one myth, King Pierus, king of Macedon, had nine daughters he named after the nine Muses, [10] believing that their skills were a great match to the Muses. He thus challenged the Muses to a match, resulting in his daughters, the Pierides, being turned into chattering magpies [11] for their presumption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muse

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Terry - "Religion" for most people is simply an internal connection

to the universe as a whole and feeling connected to all they experience

in things like: taking a walk on the beach, working in a garden,

being around happy children, looking at the sunsets, walking in a forest,

eating their favorite foods, making love with their loved one. Its all religion.

What you are confusing with religion is "organization".

• Terry
    Terry

If you do not like your own consciousness, then you really need professional help

or anti-depressant drugs.

Nah--you misunderstand. I want the option. That's all.

If I can't opt in or opt out--that is totally repugnant to me.

• Terry
    Terry

Christianity drips with Greek philosophy. Neo-Platonism is everywhere.

Aquinas and Austine were licking the sandals of Aristotle.

We here in our own day and time have been the recipients of all the filtering of the millennia.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

There are many words in the Greek Scriptures that are used in a different way by the writers than was common in Classical Greek or in the Koine of Paul's day.

But Paul's neologism that you point out, "Theopneustos", is an interesting rarity. It shows just how careful Paul, or rather the writer of Timothy, was with the language he was writing in, so it is dangerous if a really accurate exegesis is of interest, to ignore which words were used, and how.

To simply use an English translation and base teachings upon that misses much, and is inevitably eisegesis.

Sloppy vocabulary in Christian teaching can arise from sloppy translation.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

RELIGION's method of arriving at "truth" is :

1. Smoke, inject or swab a hallucinogenic substance,

2. Latch onto the first wacky idea that enters your brain,

3. make a doctrine out of it,

4. claim god gave you the idea,

5. force/hornschwaggle/dupe lots of people into believing you,

6. condemn everyone else who doesn't buy into it (i.e. anyone with an IQ higher than a salad bar).

• cofty
    cofty

at the instant of death, consciousness loses touch with the same organs i.e., sight, sound, taste, smell and touch and one goes into deep slumber or a state of dream and sleep before one becomes conscious or enters the next world i.e., the world of desire or astral world. - Pinku

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Christopher Hitchens

• cofty
    cofty

Villagegirl - This isn't the first time you have posted a long "copy-and-paste" and failed to attribute it or even admit it has been copied.

Here one of the sources you plagiarised...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit