What to say to the Sheparding Call

by Jon Preston 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Ok i need some quick advice. The elders have contacted my wife about a sheparding call, not me (is that weird?). Anyways she directed them to text or call me. Theyve asked "Hey Jon! Whens a good time for a shelarding call?"

I need some help in declining respectfully without giving anything away.

I thought: "Thanks for taking your time to reach us and thank you for your concern. Is there an issue that we need to be concerned about?....then if he keeps asking say: "Well i know Wife and I havent been very regular, but we told everyone what was going on. And we reassured everyone that we are good and that we will let someone know if theres anything we need." Then if he pursues it further and asks if we can do a sheparding call ill say "I appreciate your concern but, respectfully, i am going to decline. If there is an issue the. You can talk to me about it. Thanks again and I appreciate your concern for us."

so is there anything else i need to add?

Jon

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Jon didn't you just duck something like this?

I think this will be the final one. If I was you I would return the text with a call. Hear me out here. People that text things like that, tend to be uncomfortable when someone calls back, so you already kind of have the upper hand.

If that doesn't sound like you....then just respond by text very simply like this or something like it.

"Hey there ____. You are always welcome to come over and have a (beer, coffee, enema, whatever), but as far as a more formal visit, I think we would decline. Thanks though!"

Keep it short, don't ask questions. Asking if there is something wrong or anything like that, still defers to them. You are a grown up and can just say no thank you.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Thanks problemaddict. We ducked it before by avoiding it altogether and just told them we would let them know. I see what you mean. Im giving too much away. Id rather just text him so ill do that.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Ps ill go with the enima

• jam
    jam

I appreciate your concern, but right now it is between me and Jehovah..

I believe if i honestly go to him in prayer he will answer me...

I 'm sure you brothers don't want to come between me and Jehovah...

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Jon, dont even play the game. Tell them you are not up to a shepherding call right now, thanks. I'll let you know when I am. .... that's it. Done. You are not obligated nor can you be disfellowshipped or reproved for not accepting one. If they call back, simply repeat the same answer. If they ask why just say this is a bad time to talk and thanks for calling, HANG UP.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

"Thank you but I would prefer not to."

• whathappened
    whathappened

Yes, I agree, you do not owe them ANY EXPLAINATION! They are just mid level cult leaders and they have no right butting into your life.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Thanks, but I have no time at all for that.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Just say: No way, Jose'.....that ought to do a number on their heads.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit