Do Beta Blocker side effects ever go away

by Quarterback 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Everybody cringes when I tell them that my Dr wants to put me on Beta Blockers. Is there an alternative to not going on them if your Dr recommends it? Maybe Armegeddon is around the corner and I may not have to worry about it.

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

Quarterback,

Beta Blockers are but one type of medication used for high blood pressures or of any other condition where the dr. finds it necessary to have the heart keep a slower pace. Perhaps you have recently had a heart attack? Beta Blockers also also very good for extreem anxiety; the down side of Beta Blockers, which is different from other HBP medicine it that you gain weight very easily because you will have great difficulty getting your heart rate up to burn calories. If you haven't noticed, it is more difficuilt to run, go up stairs without getting out of breath. Find out exactly why you were perscribed them.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

My neurologist perscribed them for migraines. I ended up stopping them because my blood presssure would bottom out at night if I got up and about. I was close to passing out a few times before recognizing what was happening.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Why does your Dr want you to take beta-blockers? What health condition are they supposed to treat? If it's high blood pressure, what is your pressure reading without the beta-blockers? Why do you think WE know more about medicine than your Dr??? Isn't not taking needed medicine the same as smoking? Both will harm your health in the long run.

• wokeup
    wokeup

Beta Blockers in themselves are not generally good at hypertension control. They are usually given in conjunction

with one or more anti-hypertensives. Many physicians prescribe an Ace-Inhibitor as a first line of treatment. Beta Blockers

are more effective in the treatment of an arrhythmia disorder. Bradycardia, the desired or not so desired effect, is most

pronounced upon start up. As time goes by, your heart rate will increase some. The flip side to it, many patients

report Beta Blockers have a calming effect on them. This is medically substantiated. A matter of fact, Beta Blockers are

banned in some sports due to the edge it gives some athletes, reducing essential tremor, such as in Archery and sports

requiring precision and a steady hand.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

My heart is beating 15% faster. It was prescribed to slow it down.

You are right Roberta, it does slow you down. and cause shortness of breath.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Quarterback - I take them - For Atrial Fibrillation - I had a heart rate

of 180, 24/7 and it was uneven- very dangerous and puts you at risk

of stroke and blood pooling in the heart. Take them before you go to

bed. Monitor the dosage with your doctor, and type. You can improve the

effects by exercises like walking and swimming and moderate activity

and diet. My heart rate is now 70. I can get it up to 120 with exercise

but I am told not to get it above that. So I wear a wrist heart monitor

like a watch, when I exercise and keep track of the rate. If your heart

is beating too fast all the time, it will enlarge and weaken, called congestive

heart failure. So pay attention, and take your meds my friend.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Had a brush with atrial fibrillation recently. They spoke of putting me on rat poison, aka, warfarin. This a Rube Goldberg method of preventing stroke causing clots by thinning the blood. No thank you

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Thanks for your wise suggestions, friends, especially Villagegirl

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

As well intentioned as everyone is, perhaps an internet forum is not the best place for medical advice on cardiac pathology and treatment.

I use this website myself and recommend it to patients.

Take a peek..

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/beta-blockers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit