What have you created?

by new hope and happiness 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• earthfire
    earthfire

I'm a full time artist. Paint and sculpt www.earthfirestudios.com

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I do several craft type things, floral, sewing, jewelry, I fix up and paint old furniture.

I do believe using your "creative muscles" helps you reason and think better, and creativity in one area can help you in other areas. I started being creative around the time I started programing. It would seem to be two completely different things, but I do feel it helped me to write better programs.

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone told me that they weren't creative. It's completely untrue, we are born creative, just look at a three year old with a set of crayons. I think the schools tend to teach children to not be creative, but that can be overcome. The more you do something the better you get at it, it takes practice. Find something you feel passionate about and just do it. It does take some alone time, but it's not selfish, it's very healing and rejuvenating.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I used to draw, paint, and knit a lot when I was a kid. I'd love to learn new techniques/crafts as well. I haven't done much in my adult years because there isn't the time. My company has taken a lot of my personal time. Lately, time has also been spent looking after aging relatives.

I agree with those who say being creative helps your mind and well-being. I think organizations stifle peoples' creativity. I have personally observed managers at my company who cannot handle creative people and stifle them. But they keep saying they want 'innovation'. Yeah, right.

Edited to add: When I was in high school, I had an opportunity to go to art camp during the summer. My teacher wanted me to attend. My Mom told me all artists are drug addicts. I said to her well she could come and chaperone. Her reply was "I can't leave your Father." Everything was always "No" or "You can't" when I was a teen. I blame the religion.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

most times i think a load of rubbish

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

This is another thing this religion did to people, the idea that taking time for yourself and discovering your passions is selfish and a waste of time. It is only by doing these things that you discover what makes you tick, what brings you joy and what you are good at. It is by developing your talents and interests that you become your best self. I believe we all have a gift to bring to the world, but to discover what that gift is takes time.

For women, I highly recommend the book Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnatch. My daughter gave it to me back in the 90s and I still use it. It has a little thought for every day of the year on various topics, one of which is developing your creativity and finding your gifts. If you have been a JW for most of your life you may not have any idea what you really want to do when you grow up. A life spent going to meetings and out in service does not lend itself to introspection, following your heart or developing your talents, which is one of the reasons the religion has you doing it. God forbid you should want to do anything but give them all your time, energy or money.

Another great book for developing your creativity is The Artists Way by Julia Cameron.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

A garden. It's a work in progress but I'm getting there.

Plus, a life, which is also a work in progress.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I've always been more practical than artistic, and have made simple furniture- coffee tables, bookcases etc. - but I have always loved photography, and taking a picture of ordinary things in such a way that they appear kind of iconic. I'm not about to cut off my ear though, lol.

• prologos
    prologos

been working all my life, could fill a house with paper airplanes alone.

have ideas and stuff certified in a number of US patents, trademarks (word smith work) and as a result have the name, ideas published in different publications. great renumeration too.

following my grandfather's creative heritage who has his handywork in at least one building under monument/heritage/ protection because of it. and

because of this compulsion can not let go of the mental hangup, that

the universe is kind of a monument too. well protected.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Transhumun; you say " but i have always loved photography and taking photos of ordinary things........" well think of Woodstock and half a million people who turned up to see " Niel young, Jefferson Starship ect ect"

It was the " peace moverment" And the photos that have captured the heart of that event, were taken by ordinary people taking ordinary photos of the " ordinary" audience .

Ordinary Photos, i recently saw an exhibition by a photograper who took photos over many years on the same tube train seat. Over those years he captured incredible images from that " tube train" seat.

All form of expression and trying to capture that expression are " ART"

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Ok what have you created that was innovative and inspired others?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit