Do you beleive in God, the bible or religion?

by Leander 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

I'm pretty sure this question has probably been asked before but I'd like to put it out here and see what the responses are.

My doubts about the bible probably began maybe 6 or 7 years ago, they were very small ones however and I managed to supress them for quite a while. However certain events in my life would make those events resurface. In particular when ever I read about a tragic event that caused a large loss of life or events of where children were treated cruelly or harmed. These type of situations always made me wonder why would God allow billions of people to suffer and die basically because of the sins of 3 people. (Adam, Eve and Satan)

My reasoning is why would a father allow his older and stronger children to torture, mislead and murder his younger children? What makes this question even more interesting is that no sane human parent would allow those type of actions to happen to their children. So if humans who have the qualities of God in a lesser degree such as love, mercy and compassion would'nt allow harm to come to their offspring should'nt this apply even more so to God? Logically it does'nt make sense.

This is the number one reason why I began to critically examine God, religion and the bible. At present I beleive in God but I no longer beleive in religion or the bible in it's entirety. I refuse to beleive that the God mentioned in most of the bible is the same God that created me with the qualities of love, compassion and mercy.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I believe in religion and in the bible, but not in god.

--
    But if you pray all your sins are hooked upon the sky
    Pray and the heathen lie will disappear
    Prayers they hide the saddest view
    (Believing the strangest things, loving the alien)
    -- David Bowie, Loving The Alien

• Amazing
    Amazing

I pretty much consider myself a Christian Deist ... a step next to agnostic ... I believe in God, and as a Christian I accept in principle the teachings of Jesus Christ ... but I do not accept organized religion of any kind ... and while the Bible may contain words of God, it is too flawed to consider it revealed by Divine Inspiration ...

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Yes, partly, no.

Sam Beli

"...religion opposes the commandments of Almighty God." Violence by J. F. Rutherford 1938

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

NO, NO, NO.

• airwlk149
    airwlk149

i believe in god or a higher being, but as for religion and the

bible.... i don't know? i think that the bible is just a book

of rules, if you follow them it may make your life easier, but

if you don't, nothing bad will happen to you nessecarily...

life may be a little harder. ex: you shouldn't have an affair with

someone who is married. it's wrong. the bible says it. if you

follow that advice it will make your life easier. but if you go ahead

and do it, you will not be struck down, but it can cause problems

in your life and others.

religion is just something people use for control.

i do not believe in heaven or hell. people tell me i am going to burn

in hell, i say ok whatever.

but i don't believe we just came about. i do believe that a higher

being created us.

that's just me though,
    katie

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

no, not at all....and the idea of religion being a way to a person who supposedly cares about us? That rosary beads, and prayers, and what we wear, eat, drink, how much we drink, where we have fun, why that should matter to someone who could create quasars, black holes, and other marvels of the universe.

If there is a God, he has no interest in our day to day dealings. He's a busy guy, if he's out there.

ashi

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I agree word for word what Amazing said. I totally understand what
    you are saying about believing the bible, Leander. I started reading
    the bible the other nite and made it as far as Gen . chapter 6.
    I got pissed off and havent read the old testement since. I just
    dont understand the flood, why all the innocent animals and children
    had to die. Were all the people so bad they had to be destroyed,
    while the angels that came to earth got to go back to what they were?
    Doesnt make any sense to me,, I have to beleive that the people who
    wrote the bible , thought that they knew God's purpose. But I hope
    they were wrong , since the things that are written about God are not very loving. So I do not beleive the bible is flawless, I am having a hard time with my faith in general right now. I am not sure
    I will continue to beleive any of the bible . This is very sad to me
    I always thought I had my faith, now I have none or very little. I
    am not giving up on it yet, it is just the more I look at it now , the less sense any of it makes.

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

Yes this has been asked before many times But I don't mind. You want to know the answer and thats all that matters
    Yes, Yes, No.
    I believe in God and the Bible. My research has just provided too much evidence in their proof to think otherwise. Also, I know God through experience. While experience isn't an infallible proof it does support the truth. I don't believe in religion. A bit confusing? My trust isn't in people, My trust is in God.
    I am a christian, ie: I follow Christ and I go to church. Church is for worshipping God, hanging out with other believers, learning and serving others--- not to control members .
    God is Good!

Your questions are understandable and we have all asked them at one time or another. But the good news is there are real answers to them and they aren't as hard and cynical and one might think.
    God has to allow free will so we can choose love. Without the ability to choose it really isn't love. With choice comes the ability to choose wrong. Yes, Satan, Eve, and Adam sinned and
    thus we inherit the ability but we ALL have sinned before too. Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves. Now, people ask if God knows everything why did he bother creating what he knew would sin and start evil. Simply because of true love. Although evil was permitted to exist true love exists because of the possibility. I know Im getting a bit philisophical here but try to follow .
    Evil and bad things happen because of people choosing the wrong path and rebeliing against their very creators love. Some think God is vain and selfish to require our love, after all, it's our life, right? But no one would think a parent selfish for wanting the love of their child or for being hurt when rejected and thats the same principle.
    Every evil is a result of human sin. While it may not seem fair that other innocent people have to suffer because of some peoples wrong choices- it's the way life works. None of us is an island- we effect everyone around us for good or for bad.
    God is love and he paid the ultimate price, his own son, so that we wouldn't have to suffer for our mistakes and could be forgiven. We don't HAVE to accept it, that is our choice, but its us who are allowing evil to triumph then.

Me 2cents, <>< Angie

• Valis
    Valis

All those no's reminded me of that character on Vicar of Dibley..."no, no, no, no,...yes!...no.no no....

Leander All three are big NO's in my book. If it works for others that's fine, as long as I don't have to deal with ANY of it unwillingly. I'm a Dogfather as a matter of fact and didn't mind doing it at all, heh except for getting up to the lectern and doing the second reading during Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday...One of the things I would say to you is set those things aside for a while and go have some fun!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit