Jehovah's Witnesses destroyed documents showing child abuse allegations against church elder

by burnedout 25 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• burnedout
    burnedout

Mark Sewell convicted of eight historic sex charges, including rape.

I can not copy the link, but go to walesonline.co.uk

• BluesBrother
  • cofty
    cofty

This is dyanmite.

All but one of the fellow elders who investigated claims against the disgraced businessman, who was once an elder in the Barry congregation, declined to give evidence in his Crown Court trial;

The Jehovah’s Witnesses provided nothing to help the police and prosecutors in their investigation, despite “dis-fellowshipping” Sewell 20 years ago;

Claims the church shredded evidence about the allegations flies in the face of their own latest guidance on child abuse; and

The church’s own policy on child abuse allegations does not prevent known paedophiles from taking on high-status roles within the organisation.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

I have just received the 'Wales on Sunday' newspaper and this is the front page headline along with a full two page spread on p4-5.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

During his summing up, Judge Richard Twomlow touched on the church’s two-witness rule and told the jury it meant anything alleged to have happened in private “can never be proved” unless both people involved agree.

“Almost all sexual activity, whether consensual or not, happens in private,” he said.

As a result, Sewell’s first victim had to “challenge” him at a judicial committee convened by the church, he said.

The judge added: “How effective that can actually be as an actual judicial inquiry may be open to doubt.”

Significantly, given the church’s claim that no details were retained in respect of historic abuse allegations against Sewell, the letter to elders states: “Information concerning an individual accused of child molestation, proved or otherwise, should be placed in the congregation confidential file and marked ‘Do Not Destroy’ and kept indefinitely.”

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Just read the whole article in the paper...wow......just wow......

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I just read the whole article and this man is so disgusting. It makes me sick and very angry that the WTS supports these animals. I hope he has a long time in prison because the inmates do not like child molesters.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I hope some action is taken by the Police against the Elders who covered up this man's crimes.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Hmm. I question how good the lawyer was at getting information. The branch should have the original disfellowshipping info, even a minor record of it on the S-79a or S-79b card (whichever is applicable), even if the congregation fails to follow policy. That's according to a snippet reprinted in this thread. Of course, I don't know if that was the policy 20 years ago.

• nugget
    nugget

I seem to remember before we left the elders were instructed to clean the congregation df'ing records and get rid of some information relating to deceased etc. As I was a sister I wasn't involved and hubby can't remember what he was asked to do.

It may have been that some congregations used this as an opportunity to get rid of documents that might come back to bite them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit