Jehovah Witness Governing Body gets 'wakeup call' - "The internal church “process” followed here was awful." - SNAP Media Statement

by Sol Reform 14 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Sol Reform
    Sol Reform
    Jehovah Witness Governing Body gets 'wakeup call' - "The internal church “process” followed here was awful." - SNAP Media Statement

Given the mean-spirited treatment by JW officials, it's a miracle that Sewell's victims are willing to cooperate with the secular justice system. We applaud them for doing so.

http://www.snapnetwork.org/uk_jehovah_witness_predator_convicted_snap_responds?recruiter_id=33428 HomeNewsMedia Statements
    UK- Jehovah Witness predator convicted; SNAP responds
    For immediate release: Friday, June 27, 2014 Statement by David Clohessy of St. Louis, Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314 566 9790, [email protected])
    A former Jehovah's Witness elder has been found guilty of child sex crimes. We are very grateful to his courageous victims. And we are glad that Mark Sewell will be kept away from children, at least for a while.
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/jehovahs-witness-leader-mark-sewell-7336623
    Sewell will be sentenced next month. So it's not too late for others who saw, suspected or suffered his crimes to step forward and help make sure he's locked up for a long time.
    The internal church “process” followed here was awful. Victims were sworn to silence and had to be in the room with this predator when they reported their pain, both of which are cruel demands to make on brave but deeply-suffering crime victims.
    Given the mean-spirited treatment by JW officials, it's a miracle that Sewell's victims are willing to cooperate with the secular justice system. We applaud them for doing so. We hope they take some comfort from the jury's wise decision today.
    (SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We’ve been around for 25 years and have more than 20,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)
    Contact - David Clohessy (314-566-9790 cell, [email protected]), Barbara Dorris (314-862-7688 home, 314-503-0003 cell, [email protected])
  • Sol Reform
    Sol Reform

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/11/national/11WITN.html

J. R. Brown, director of the public information office at church headquarters, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, in Brooklyn,

said the church had exemplary policies for handling sexual abuse, which were based on biblical standards and had been widely

published in church magazines.

"We're not trying to say we handled everybody in the right way and our elders are all-knowing, all perfect," said Mr. Brown, who declined as a matter of policy to comment on individual cases, including Mr. Bowen's.

"But we say, if you take what our policy is for keeping our organization clean morally, it far outpaces anybody else's."
  • Sol Reform
    Sol Reform

At the time of the committee hearing, she said, the father of Sewell’s first victim told the congregation elders to “examine their consciences” and report the matter to the police.

“There were 12 elders and not one of them stood up – not one,” the rape victim said

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/jehovahs-witness-mark-sewell-jailed-7339113
    'There were 12 elders and not one of them stood up – not one': Victim of Jehovah's Witness rapist describes torment

Women told how 'excruciating' it was to have to tell congregation elders what had happened to them... but that nothing was done

Mark Sewell Victims of a sexual predator who preyed on fellow Jehovah’s Witnesses had to face their alleged abuser in hearings organised by their church. The “vulnerable” victims – including a woman pinned down and raped by heavy-set former church elder Mark Sewell and a schoolgirl whom he kissed and fondled – were even banned from talking about their allegations.

At least two of Sewell’s victims in the Barry congregation had to lock eyes with him during “judicial committee” hearings run by the church when they reported his depraved attacks. When faced with his first victim – then just a teenage schoolgirl – Sewell branded her a “liar” and rubbished her claims. It was during this investigation that the elders received another complaint about Sewell, with a woman in the congregation claiming he had raped her. They included the complaint in the investigation but the businessman, now 53, twice contacted her “in an attempt to stop her telling the judicial committee the truth”, prosecutor Sarah Waters told the jury during the trial opening. Sewell has now been convicted of a string of sex abuse allegations, including rape .

The first victim claimed after her family had contacted the congregation elders about Sewell they were asked to attending a meeting at the Kingdom Hall in Gibbonsdown, Barry. “Prior to it we had been told not to mention it to anybody, not to tell anyone about it,” she said in her evidence in court. The victim, who cannot be identified, also told the court she was not necessarily aware if there were other complaints at the same time. “All of us were told we were not allowed to talk about it,” she added.

Her account was backed up by a close friend who gave evidence. When asked whether her friend had talked to her about the judicial committee investigation she repeatedly said: “She wasn’t allowed to.” The friend, now a woman in her 30s, told the court: “When you are a Witness the elders will deal with problems within the congregation. “As a Witness myself you trust them to deal with them and you don’t get involved in the details and you leave it to them.”

Judge Richard Twomlow asked: “Once a problem goes to the elders then the congregation is not allowed to discuss it?” She replied: “No. If there was a big problem you would have sermons to deal with trust and what elders positions mean and gossip. It was very, very strict.”

The judge then said: “So gossip wasn’t just discouraged, it was positively disallowed?” The woman answered: “You could be disciplined as a Witness for gossiping.” A young girl forced to strip down for half-naked massages by Sewell in his bedroom said “everything was unspoken” in the congregation and those involved “weren’t allowed to talk about things”. She added: “That’s the impression at the time – I thought it was a cover-up.”

The victim raped by Sewell in a brutal attack which saw her knickers “shredded” described being grilled by church elders when she came forward years after the attack. “I had to go through everything that happened to me just as you are doing now,” she said in evidence. “They asked me some questions as to what led up to it, why he did what he did, why I didn’t report it.
    “They also asked me what position my legs were in when Mark attacked me – why, I don’t know.
    “I had to explain how far apart my legs were which I found excruciatingly embarrassing.”

She added that Sewell claimed it would have been impossible for him to have raped her while she was in that position. He knew, she claimed he said, because he had tried to re-enact the incident with his wife with her legs positioned the same way. “In the end it was Mark’s word against mine and Mark denied everything and that nearly sent me over the edge.” In the aftermath, she told the court, Sewell “rang and threatened me and said if I went to the police he was going to take me to court”.

She dabbed her eyes with a tissue as she told the court: “I couldn’t function, couldn’t sleep, couldn’t eat, and I think the worst thing for me was that nobody would believe me.”

At the time of the committee hearing, she said, the father of Sewell’s first victim told the congregation elders to “examine their consciences” and report the matter to the police.
    “There were 12 elders and not one of them stood up – not one,” the rape victim said

The woman described the way she and her fellow victims had been “looked at with disregard and he is walking around with his head held high” following the claims. She said she contacted the church again subsequently to warn them about Sewell.

“They have a man in their midst who is a rapist, is a paedophile. He has never gone to prison, never answered to his crimes, never had treatment, so therefore they in my opinion are putting the rest of the congregation at risk.”

A church spokesman said: “As Jehovah’s Witnesses we have an absolute and unequivocal abhorrence of child abuse and [offer] our support for any victim or parent who reports this crime to the authorities. This is in line with what the Bible says at Romans 12:9.

“We feel that the care and safeguarding of children and the promotion of their welfare is extremely important. “Jehovah’s Witnesses act in harmony with the law and do not condone child abuse in any circumstance or endeavour to shield from the authorities those committing offences of this nature.”

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

J. R. Brown,director of the public information office at church headquarters, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, in Brooklyn, said the church had exemplary policies for handling sexual abuse,which were based on biblical standards and had been widely published in church magazines.

"We're not trying to say we handled everybody in the right wayand our elders are all-knowing, all perfect," said Mr. Brown, who declined as a matter of policy to comment on individual cases, including Mr. Bowen's.

According to J.R.Brown..

The WBT$ has Exemplary Policies,he Admits SUCK!!..

...............................................................................................................

.............................................................................

.................................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Quendi
    Quendi

You can bet that no matter how much SNAP and other organizations publicize this horrible man's crimes, most Witnesses will be kept in the dark about it. Those who do learn of it and speak about it to others will be told to shut up because their speech is bringing "reproach on Jehovah's organization."

Some years ago, we had a similar circumstance occur in the congregation I associated with in Boulder, Colorado. The perp in this case was not an elder but an older man with a long history of sexually abusing his own daughters as well as other young girls and women in the congregation. The story was published in the local newspaper and broadcast on Denver TV stations. I myself knew the molester and his entire family but never got much of the details. Anyway, this man never went to jail. The congregation elders formed a judicial committee which disfellowshipped him. However, he was eventually reinstated and no restrictions (as far as I know) were placed upon his proximity to children. Meanwhile, steps were taken to limit the exposure other Witnesses had to the information so that in the end, I daresay many Witnesses in metropolitan Denver knew nothing more than they read in the papers or saw on TV.

In another case, a Witness I knew who had molested his oldest daughter was told by the elders that despite legal restrictions placed on his contact with minor children, he would still have to engage in the door-to-door canvassing work. I asked him what he was supposed to do if a child answered the door. In such a case, he told me, the elder who worked with him was to do the talking. I never understood why this requirement was placed on him, but it very well illustrates the organization's obtuseness and callousness about this very serious matter.

Now what struck me most about this particular case was the fact that this man, though contrite, was told he had to do the canvassing work. The people in the different neighborhoods he canvassed were not told of his crime or that he was a registered sex offender. For that matter, not even all the elders in the congregation were given this information and the publishers were also kept in the dark. This included people with young children. That is still the situation more than seven years after his release from prison. He is still a registered sex offender and although he hasn't assaulted any other child and lives a very quiet and self-effacing life, his crime is still unknown to the congregation and all but the elders who served on his judicial committee. I think that is just plain wrong and is another grievous sin this organization has committed.

Quendi

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

I cannot believe the reproach those sisters brought onto Jehovah's organisation!!!

• Quendi
    Quendi

bump

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"J. R. Brown, director of the public information office at church headquarters, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, in Brooklyn, said the church had exemplary policies for handling sexual abuse,which were based on biblical standards and had been widely published in church magazines."

"But we say, if you take what our policy is for keeping our organization clean morally, it far outpaces anybody else's."

The fact that this asshat - in the face of full public exposure of the WTS's policies - actually made these statements on the record and with a straight face...

...boggles the mind.

Is he so deluded that he actually believes it, or is he just too stoopid to know better? Or worse, is he actually required to say it whether he wants to or not?

Reminds me of the WT lawyer's closing statements in the Conti case; he said that the WTS had changed their policies for the better, and a few months later we got confirmation...

...that they'd effectively doubled down on their stance.

If this is part of some long-reaching plan to somehow make themsleves look/feel like the scrappy underdog (like back in Rutherford's day), they're definately going about it the wrong way.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

To add to my last post, this reminds me of something I'd heard about other small apocalyptic groups in the past who'd started getting in trouble with the secular authorities.

Facing decline and stagnation, and feeling beleagered and cornered like rats, some would start deliberately doing things that would get them "persecuted" in the sincere hope that it would actually trigger the End Times, and thus pull their collective asses out of the fire.

Strangely enough, I can actually visualise the WTS reaching this point.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

Yes, blinded followers may fall for the whole persecution bit, which is sad, and after talking with my in-laws they are fully inebriated on the wt Kool aid and eat up the sh*t they are fed no matter how bad the taste. Things I heard over and over include:

Perfect organization ran by imperfect men (that doesn't even make sense!!!)

Jehovah always cleans it up!

So what Web site did you get that from? (Always seeking a way to discredit)

You must have got that from an apostate! (How fun it was to show it in a wt pub! Ha ha!)

...(that would be the most common response, no words, eyes wide, speechless)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit