I was told...

by molybdenum 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

Ding said: Yet the organization keeps on going...

This supports the phrase "There's a sucker born every minute." It shows that what people WANT and WISH to be true can hold them captive even when evidence to the contrary is presented.

• Wide Awake!
    Wide Awake!

You bothers and sisters aren't losing faith, are you? Look how much closer we are now to the end. Wouldn't it be a shame to lose faith now when armegeddon is so near?

• Heaven
    Heaven

Wide Awake said: You bothers and sisters aren't losing faith, are you? Look how much closer we are now to the end. Wouldn't it be a shame to lose faith now when armegeddon is so near?

LOL! Yeah... 'so near'... 'soon'... 'imminently'. I've heard this for all 51 years of my life. 51 years is NOT soon...neither is 100 years... neither is 2,000.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

It's very strange... Armageddon is a 'theme' for the WTS- one that they can't stop using. Every few years in a publication they would say that kids would never grow up before Armagedon. I guess the Watchtower writers were so senile they couldn't remember writing the same thing many times before... or they died of old age, and new writers came in who believed their own BS. After many years, it does start to seem comical...

• Scully
    Scully

Hearing that Armageddon™ Is Just Around the Corner™ for much of my youth created a strange dichotomy in decision making. People were putting off decisions that could better their lives - their futures - indefinitely, such as getting a good education and a solid career, buying a house, preparing for retirement, etc. At the same time, they were quitting school, jumping head first into marriages and having families, which created a bigger long-term financial burden, keeping them stuck in dead-end jobs with very few prospects of improving their lot in life.

No wonder they want/need to have Armageddon™ be right around the corner - it will put them out of their current misery, whether they survive it or not. They're hoping to survive so they can enjoy the Paradise™ they were promised, but there are no guarantees....

• jgnat
    jgnat

A congregation of self-flagellating hedonists. What I mean is that they congratulate themselves for their sacrifice by doing the thankless door-to-door work, and having given up any hope of an earthly future, they run amok as soon as they are left off the reservation. After all, they don't attribute any restraint or self control on this present generation. I agree, totally unprepared for the "golden years", old age, and retirement.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

My daughter was five when i was baptized, now I have a 14 year old granddaughter and my hair is white.

But honestly the delay of dharmageddon didn't bother me at all. The difference between the dogma and the doing is what worked to start my waking up. Then when i allowed myself to read CoC, ttatt was revealed.

Also I became aware that I had to learn to think for myself all over again.

Marina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit