Being a Witness results in selfish and self centered people!

by stuckinarut2 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I have noticed that many witnesses are very self centered and selfish people as a result of "leaving everything in God's hands to correct"

What I mean is, because "the kingdom will fix poverty, the homeless, poor, underpriveleged, etc...." it means they can just pass by those in need, or fulfill their natural human desire to help (if they have it) by just giving literature!

So, just preach to those in need, and then you can feel good and smug about yourself!

True, there are some very loving people in the org, some who would give the shirt off their back to someone (usually a fellow beleiver). But generally witnesses have been taught to supress or rid themselves of any human niceness by having "the kingdom will fix it" drummed into their brains!

Just my two cents worth of observations...

• designs
    designs

Wt. theology and practice stamps out a person's normal generosity.

Everything gets second guessed when we were JWs. Are we supporting this sytem or showing a lack of faith by helping- the homeless, women's shelters, food banks, schools etc. etc..

• prologos
    prologos

They have twisted the lesson of Jesus

That he would [if he could]

reward deeds of HUMAN KINDNESS for the LEAST of the Human race [parable of the sheep&goats] into

rewards for money and time given to the HIGHEST, the7or8 wt directors.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

A housekeeper working for a lady who was well-off (both J'Ws) began going cuckoo. She was young and something went wrong with her mind. Days had passed and I had just come into the congregation ( was studying the first book then). The elder's did nothing for her nor did the lady she was working for. I knew quite a few doctors who were friends and called up one who was the CMO in a govt. hospital. He immediately asked me to get her over and had her diagnosed and treated. She was sent away to her home town in the company of her brothers (she was a live in maid) in three days. The incident left me wondering if these were really god fearing people why the apathy when one of their own was in dire need of psyciatric treatment. I was practically an outsider then. I could feel her helplessness yet these people couldn't. One of the elder's was asked to go to the hospital and his response was " what wil I do there?" How far l these goats are willing to go with the " wait on J ", formula, is astoundingly unfathomable.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I young girl that had grown as a witness was coming back to the kingdom hall to in her mind straighten out her life since she was once on drugs and her parents were losers. She was studying making the meeting, people picking her up for that mostly my family since we lived close. Anyway she was not baptised yet and needed a place to stay. The trailer she was in was taken from her and she was having to sleep in a truck. She was also worried about being around her sisters and father that were all on drugs, the she may go back to. She wasn't getting much food for herself their either, she was really on her own and homeless. Did her two sisters that were studying with her help, did anyone from the hall help, yeah me, but the realization was she wasnt baptised so she wasn't going to get any help.

Also didn't someone tell the experience of the brothers doing nothing in NY after 911 except hand out tracts....

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Hairtrigger that is sad! Maybe you knew the signs of what to look for when someone is having a breakdown.

Most people would just think she was odd and not understand how to help.

I also wonder if there was a certain time in WT history where psychological evaluation was frowned upon.

Many people did not believe in out side help just prayer and depend on Jah.

I only noticed one article in the Wt it was in small print in a foot note that said somthing like: sometime a person needs psychological help out side God's organization. There could have been others,I never looked for articles to see the WT views on mental illness.

Good thing you were there!

It sad how JWs gossip about people who were sick.

Anyhow, in the sixties JWs were different and willing to help others. It was later maybe starting in the 80s things started to change.

Cold as ice attitudes were the reason why I faded.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

It has always really bothered me that the JWs do not have charities or give to charities in any way. I think they are the only religion where charity giving is completely absent. I can't think of any religion that snubs their nose at giving like Watchtower Society.

And it's not just that they don't have it in place "at the top". The snobbery trickles all the way down to the rank and file, who NEVER give to charity.

SOMETIMES, they will help their own if the need arises, but that is always contingent on how "strong" in the truth they think you are, or if you are a newbie and they are love-bombing you.

One time, at the stop light, there was an organization collecting funds for the homeless. My JW sister was with me. I rolled down my window and donated a buck. They thanked me and handed back some candy with a note attached. The note said they were a church and the money I donated would go to help recovering drug addicts have a place to sleep. My sister laughed out loud and said, "Haha! You gave money to help druggies!"

They just don't get it.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I also wonder if there was a certain time in WT history where psychological evaluation was frowned upon.

Yes it was, and not too long ago. It is still frowned upon in some areas, but I don't think it as taboo as it used to be.

"... As a rule, for a Christian to go to a worldly psychiatrist is an admission of defeat. It amounts to 'going down to Egypt for help' - Isaiah 31:1. ...Also, more and more psychiatrists are resorting to hypnosis which is a demonic form of worldly wisdom." (Awake!1960 March 8 p. 27)

Would it be wise for a Christian to consult a mental-health practitioner?

"In some places it has become quite fashionable to seek therapy. In many cases the patient does not have a severe mental disorder but has difficulty coping with some situation in life. However, it is the Bible that gives the most effective help in handling the difficult problems of life. (Psalm 119:28, 143) Through the Bible, Jehovah supplies wisdom, thinking ability, and true knowledge—things that fortify us mentally and emotionally. (Proverbs 2:1-11; Hebrews 13:6) Faithful servants of God may express themselves irrationally at times because of severe inner turmoil. (Job 6:2, 3) James 5:13-16 encourages such ones to call on the elders for help and counsel. A Christian may be spiritually sick, or he may be distressed by an unchangeable circumstance or by oppressive stresses, or he may feel that he is the victim of injustice. (Ecclesiastes 7:7; Isaiah 32:2; 2 Corinthians 12:7-10) Such a person can find help with the elders, who will ‘grease him with oil’—that is, skillfully impart comforting Bible counsel—and also "pray over him." The result? "The prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up [out of his despondency or his feeling of being abandoned by God]."" (w96 9/1 pp. 30-31)

So basically, if you THINK you might be having mental problems, you're probably not. You just need to let the elders lube you up. God help them all!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

JWs easily become selfish and self-centered because of the core WT teachings. By following the popes in Brooklyn, they believe that they are very special. God, the angels, Satan, and the demons know them personally and the entire universe revolves around their self-righteous world. JWs believe that out of the billions of people in the world, they are the only ones that really matter. They are the only ones that will survive when Jehovah, very soon now, goes on a blood-thirsty, murderous rampage. So why would they bother to help non-believers? Those are all people whose heads will be smashed open with rocks, very soon now. And then, why would they bother to help their fellow believers? If other JWs are having problems, they need to rely on Jehovah... you know, simplify their lives by living in their car for the few remaining days in this system.

Of course, those core WT teachings also have caused plenty of guilt and depression in believers. I know that when I was that mess, I was self-absorbed with plenty of internal misery. It may not exactly be the same as being "selfish and self-centered", but it certainly left me in no condition to really pay attention to the needs of others and help them.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I remember articles like that Wild Thing. I doubt anyone gets professional counseling because it's "fashionable". It's almost criminal when you consider how many in the organization have committed suicide, I personally knew of six. Who knows how many of them were following this advice and didn't consult with a mental health professional.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit