Meet The Mormons - UK TV This Evening

by cofty 67 Replies latest social entertainment

• Witness My Fury
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Thanks, Witness My Fury!

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Aw, man! It won't let me watch it! It says the service is not available in my area!

It's because I'm a 'Merican, ain't it?!?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Unfortunately you didn't see the really crazy cult stuff that occurs when cameras aren't rolling.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Mormons on my fb are generally pretty glum.Spectacular PR own goal. My daughter expressed how glad she is that she isnt involved in any of that anymore - she's 14.

• cofty
    cofty

I think there were twovery most damning scenes.

The opening one where thousands of mormons were saluting the leader.

The very Watchtower-like moment when the missionaries were being given their little white rule book.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

http://www.unblock-us.com/

Some can get 4OD working using unblock-us it looks like, i dont have any knowledge of the service i just found it by search.

• dozy
    dozy

I watched it this morning. It was quite fascinating really and the crossovers to the WTBTS / JWs are obvious.

The degree of control exerted on the missionaries was quite unbelievable & it seemed to me that it was astonishing that they would agree to it ( for example having a male "partner" with you at all times , in earshot or in physical presence. )

The Mormons were expected to have the same degree of devotion to their leadership as the JWs have to the GB.

I honestly wonder what was in this documentary for the Mormons. They just came across as a creepy controlling religious cult - the "WTBTS on steroids".

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A random thought that occurred to me was, because Mormon temples are exclusive, only Mormons may enter, do they fulfill the criteria for exemption from Local Tax, called "Rates" in the U.K, at least by me.

I know that Places of Worship are usually exempt, but a mormon only one ?

This may have been said already but, I was struck too at how inept both the seasoned missionary and Josh were at their D to D work, they do not seem to have been trained in the art of conversation starting, very much as JW's are not.

JW's have those silly unreal Platform Demo's that never deal with the hard to overcome, "Ido not believe..." or the usual one "I am not interested...", so JW's are clueless on how to progress, it seems the Mormons are too.

This probably springs, in both religions, from having parochial minded American leaderships who simply do not realise that the U.K is in reality a Secular place, with a smattering of Christian culture, true believers are relatively rare here.

• dozy
    dozy

Mormon temples have 80% tax relief rather than the full 100% in the UK because the public aren't allowed access. I've driven past the one in Preston a few times ( you can see it from the M61 motorway. ) Impressive building , if rather glitzy. The Mormons appealed the ruling against them all the way up to the European Court. I guess with the vast wealth they have that they won't have too much trouble paying up.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865597954/Temple-tax-European-court-rules-LDS-Church-must-pay-local-property-tax-for-Preston-England-temple.html?pg=all

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit