I've got a Problem - exam tomorrow, and I can't get interested

by fulltimestudent 16 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Yes, this idealistic young man realized that trouble in the world was caused by toxic relationships and he then created his teachings on better ways to conduct relationships.

Yet, when people used those ideas to create new communities, these communities seemed to suffer from much the same problems as the original troubled world.

So, did the Jesus experiment work or is there nothing to gain from his life and his new religion?

Is this the way it goes with all who try to change the world for the better?

Can people learn new ways of living?

Interesting thoughts.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

And then there's toxicity, in the name of Jesus, as many here have experienced.

And in this dramatisation. A film set in Ireland in 1939 - but demonstrating a brutality that was still practised not so far back. My father grew up in this toxic environment, suffering the brutality of the Marist Brothers, until at age 15, he'd had enough and smashed his tormentor (in the name of Jesus) to the ground and fled for his life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuowH9DhPPU

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

FullTimeStudent ... I am so sorry this incredibly heartbreaking story happened to anyone.

I am sorry it happened to your Dad.

LL

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Thnx Lois for your kind thought.

I selected that movie segment because it graphically illustrates how wicked and hypocrtical the churches have been in the matter of physical and sexual child abuse.

This abuse was not something that occurred in isolated instances. Sadly, it was widespread, across Catholic, Protestant and even State run institutions.

FTS

ps: I should explain that in my father's case he only ever spoke of physical abuse. In any case, as you see, the abusive Christians never broke his spirit. But he hated the church with undying contempt. Sadly he was already dead, when I woke up to the fact that he was right.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I studied with Elaine Pagels at Barnard. Sometimes the subject matter would make me ill. I am a tense person. Normally, though, I can study with no problem. New Testament studies was too close to JW for me. I deliberately stayed away from any hot topics. Indeed, I chose the historical Jesus b/c I had no idea what it meant. For the only time in my long career, I never read the primary sources for Paul. The class was a clear turning point in my life. It was the most valuable class. Roman Catholic friends chose RC topics. Their grades were affected adversely. The Jewish students were gaga oveer Old Testament Studies.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Here's samples of the exam questions, for those who may want to try (grin):

First example.

Comment on the following passage's historical and literary context, and explain its historical significance. What point is the author making, and why? Pay particular attention to historical problems and other issues related to your chosen passage.

Q. 5 James 2.14-24. (25%)

What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can that faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, “Go in peace, keep warm and well fed”, but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

But someone will say, “You have faith, I have deeds.” Show me your faith without actions, and I will show you my faith by my actions. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that – and shudder. You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness”, and he was called God's friend. You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

What was looked for in an analysis of this passage, is the following (my understanding):

Who was the author, what evidence is there for your conclusion?

Who was the writer addressing? What evidence is there for that conclusion? I

s there evidence that permits dating of the document?

Are there parallel accounts in the other NT documents? Are there significant differences between them?

Do they help to explain this passage?

Do particular themes of the passage appear to represent special interests of this writer?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Second example:

Q. 8 The “Damascus Rule” from Qumran, section 6. (25%)

None of those brought into the Covenant shall enter the Temple to light His altar in vain. They shall bar the door, forasmuch as God said, Who among you will bar its door? And, You shall not light my altar in vain. (Malachi 1.10.) They shall take care to act according to the exact interpretation of the Law during the age of wickedness. They shall separate from the Sons of the Pit, and shall keep away from the unclean riches of wickedness acquired by vow or anathema or from the Temple treasure; they shall not rob the poor of His people, to make of widows their prey and of the fatherless their victim (Isaiah 10.2). They shall distinguish between clean and unclean, and shall proclaim the difference between holy and profane. They shall keep the Sabbath day according to its exact interpretation, and the feasts and the Day of Fasting according to the finding of the Members of the New Covenant in the land of Damascus. They shall set aside the holy things according to the exact teaching concerning them. They shall love each man his brother as himself; they shall succour the poor, the needy and the stranger.

This was an extract for one of the Dead Sea Scrolls. In this case I believe the examiner was looking for comments on how the passage may throw some light on NT documents, and possibly what evidence this document provided for the claim that the Qumran sectarins were also known as the Essenes

Some of the interesting points are (in my opinion):

This document was already known before the Qumran discoveries. The name 'Damascus Documeent' is derived from the references made to the 'New Covenant' made 'in the land of Damascus.' It is believed that this document was written around 100BCE, a conclusion supported by the absence of any mention of the 'Kittim' (Romans) who only invaded west Asia after 70BCE. The work is in two sections, an Exhortation made by the preacher (Likely a Guardian of the Community) to his 'sons' encouraging them to remain faithful. He teaches form the OT, that faithfullness is always rewarded and apostasy chastised by Yahweh. The document is an interesting read as there are some very unusual interporetations of OT Texts.

The second part is a list of Statutes (rules) that had to be kept. Some of these were sectarian re-interpretations of OT commandments pertaining to ourity the Sabbath vows etc.

In particular, the extract may find parallels in the Johhanine community writings - particularly the first letter of John.Some of the features of the extract above, include evidence for the influence of Dualism (borrowed from Zoroastrianism- sons of light versus sons of darkness sort of things. cf. 1 John 1:5-7 and 2: 7-10). Note, the need to be separate from apostates (the sons of the pit), the encouragement to loves their brothers cf. 1 Jo 4: 7-12. To succor the poor and needy. cf. Galatians 2:10

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit