They may not pass the plate around like other churches, but they do mention contributions a couple of times

by Legacy 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

So I went to the International Convention. Nice. The org. always says, other places of worship pass the plate around several times, but we don't do that, we JUST MENTION IT A COUPLE OF TIMES...THAT'S ALL. Passing the plate for money or mentioning the contributions...in the end it means the same thing. Got any money to give us. Samething...Oh, they don't agree with the Muslims...the men in NYC that sell their paper & a bean pies & are neat & wear bowties. So now the brothers are changing up...looking more spiffy....now they are wearing bowties...What's that illustration they use...you may point a finger but how many are pointing back at you...I'm just saying...the JW trolleys, how many churches do the samething...& have been doing if for decads....

You just can't make this stuff up...

Legacy

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

So now the brothers are changing up...looking more spiffy....now they are wearing bowties.

We saw that last year at our DC, esp with the Bethel Speakers, one of which was def a NPG.

This something new on the Right Side of the US? Or, just a snooty NYC JW thingy?

Doc

• St George of England
    St George of England

Ron Drage, DO here in the UK wore a bow tie (Dickie Bow) years ago; it was his trade mark.

Once he went into Bethel however he seemed to become a tie man, maybe a bit of counsel?

George

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I went to a church a couple of times last year, they passes the baskets around one time per meeting that's it. Oh and I forgot to mention the money was going for an out reach program for those that had addictions and a food drive to feed the poor and they had food at the church too for anyone that needed it. What do the jw do with their money.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Crazyguy, that is always a question. Seriously, other churches build the buildings, support actual ministries, evangelists, they have summer camps and Awanas for kids, busses (a lot of times) to transport folks, people regularly bring in friends to church and there are (in spite of no magazine selling) regular baptisms, weddings and funerals.

I've only ever been to one church that really did feel like they were passing the plate a lot.

• blondie
    blondie

It may be different now but when hubby did accounts he had to read each one of the letters from the WTS thanking the congregation for their donations...to remind them to donate.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I attend the Metropolitan Church of the Rockies in Denver and yes, the collection basket is passed around. But we know where the money goes: the food bank the church runs; funding a shelter for homeless LGBT youth; a ministry for men in prison and other worthwhile community projects. By contrast, all the money collected in a local kingdom hall goes either to the branch office or world headquarters. None of it stays with the local community. I gladly contribute to my church now in confidence that the money is indeed going to causes I want to support and every penny is accounted for. Contrast that with the WTS which orders that congregation accounts be audited quarterly but issues no report to the congregation other than to say that 'everything was found to be in order.' What a crock!

Quendi

• cha ching
    cha ching

Let's just have a service meeting part once a month on "how to donate everything you own to us when you die."

• Zoos
    Zoos

Is the Watchtower religion really so lacking in an identity of their own that 130 years after its founding it still feels it must elevate itself by stepping on the "competition"?

Isn't that kind of a worldly trait?

• Londo111
    Londo111

Up until 1990, I remember buying magazines and books at the counter, and then selling them at the door. The going rate for the Watchtower and Awake was 50 cents when it ended. Even afterwards, it was encouraged to ask for a donation. “Of course, the magazines are without charge, but if you would like to make a modest donation to the world wide work…” I could never bring myself to say this. Yes, no plate was passed at the meetings. But certainly the “collection plate” was brought to people’s doors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit