My friends don't believe dinosaurs existed ....

by wannabefree 50 Replies latest social relationships

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I just found this out last night. WHAT?!?!

(preface: this is a husband and wife that I have come to be friends with after leaving the borg, they are Christians)

We were sitting around visiting last night and having a good time when my friend starts in on illegal immigration and politics and starts throwing out his hate speech which eventually turns to homosexuals. This made me feel very uncomfortable and I of course should know better than getting into either of these subjects, but I couldn't help it. Why should some be allowed to make dumb comments without it being countered. I tried to remain calm but the more I spoke my opinion, the more the guy got excited.

.... anyway, that's a whole story, back to dinosaurs ....

For some reason I went back to a subject that was breached a few days ago ... the age of the earth ... another conversation we had, I asked the wife how old the earth was and she said 6,000 years, she paused before answering and we had been joking about other things so I wasn't too sure .... so last night I asked, "you don't really believe the earth is only 6,000 years old, do you?" ... "Yes" was the answer.

... still much more to the story, but when I realized they were serious, I asked "do you think dinosaurs and humans walked the earth together?" ... the husband answerd, "No, dinosaurs never did walk the earth"

WHAT!?

This guy thinks I was in a cult and I have talked with him about how I can't get my wife to reason on things, he thinks he has the faith and all of the answers himself, last night I confronted the same walls that I hit with my wife. I am going crazy! I think I will have a hard time being friends with a guy that is a young earth creationist.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

I make a constant effort to get this kind of people out of my life.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Thats funny. Was his theory that God just created the earth with a bunch of fossils already built into it?

Come across this a few times myself, I realize now that there are plenty of people out there just as crazy as the JWs.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Most major cities and\or universities have fossils on display. The Manhattan dinos are my favorite. Natural History is important. .

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

How can you be friends with someone who you can't respect?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

John_Mann ... probably not a bad idea

LostGeneration ... we didn't get into where the fossils came from, our conversation lost civility by this point, but I did pick up that he has no respect for carbon dating and most of dinosaur records are conjecture and fabrication

Band on the Run ... fossils, apparently that's not enough for some, I mean, how do you know those fossils are accurate? Were you there to see how they were made?

Apognophus ... I know! I respect this couple in ways, they are certainly entitled to their belief ... even if it isn't based on facts ... but this kind of changes how I view them as a whole. I like them, they have good qualities, but knowing that they are just as crazy as JW's in a different way, UGH ... their kids go to public school, I wonder how those dinosaur conversations go, that is mental abuse

I have been reading up on Young Earth Creationism ...

• James Brown
    James Brown

I believe dinosaurs existed.

But I can understand why some don't believe they existed.

When I was young, I would go to the Cleveland Museum of Natural History

and they had a t rex on display, the skeleton.

When I went to the museum in school several times the teachers told

us that was a real dinosaur.

I thought it was real, until I was grown and old and found out it was a model.

Then researching fossils.

Fossils are not bones they are minerals and many museums that display fosils

are displaying a plaster caste of a fossil and the fossil is in many museums.

So I can see why some people believe the dinosaurs did not exist.

The world is full of misinformation.

I grew up watchiing a cartoon where Wile E. coyote chased the road runner who always got a

way because of his super speed.

It turns out that a roadrunners top speed is 26mph and a coyote can hit 40.

You have to research what you believe.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I understand why people believe the earth isn't round ....because those desk globes are not originals.

Denying the existence of dinosaurs is the ultimate example of cognitive dissonace, outright denying of observable reality.

We don't just have their mineralised remains, but have found their footprints. They lived, they walked.

Genesis 4 says that the earth was formed, then Adam was made..... then he named all the the created animals, the NT tells us this was 6000yrs ago. Reality proves this impossible.

If we dig down into the earth, going backwards in time, we never find animals from different ages anywhere but in their time layer. This defies so much of what the religious fundementalists believe.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

You can't fix stupid.

Doc

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Was his theory that God just created the earth with a bunch of fossils already built into it?

Satan made the fossils in order to mislead mankind into thinking the 6,000 year creation account is not true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit