A happy people?

by myself 13 Replies latest jw friends

• myself
    myself

Viewing the Tennesseans article today "Disfellowship described as being 'worse then death'" one of my co-workers asked if this was true.
    I told him that many have viewed it that way in different aspects. Some have been driven to suicide because of not knowing how to deal with the prospect of being df'd. They are cut off from their family, and the only people they have really been allowed to associate with as friends.
    This brought out a question from my husband on the way home from work tonight: "Are Jehovah's Witnesses really a happy group of people?"
    He cited some of the members of my family who have been unhappy until they got away from the Watchtower. They are finally coping for the first time with issues. Some have been able to develop a much closer relationship to our Heavenly Father. Yet the family members who are still with the Watchtower seem to really be troubled, they really don't seem to be at peace. I looked at the lives of those family members and he is right. Growing up around it I never noticed it. Even my ex-husband's family - I have never known such an unhappy group of people. Coming to this forum I have been able to find some of the answers to my questions. I have learned it is ok to relax with the fluff posts, and have really grown to appreciate the support. I read my Bible because it further answers my questions. I read it now because I want to not because I have to. I don't hold any bitterness, because through it all I have learned some good values that I will hold on to, but now I have learned tolerence of other's beliefs. I am happy.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

JWs are told regularly that they are the happiest people on earth. When you're a jw, and you're not happy, you think there's something wrong with you. So if you just try harder, study more, go door to door more, then you will be happy. So you try harder. Now you're unhappy and exhausted. Still something must be wrong with you, so you try even harder. It doesn't work, but you have to keep up the facade, because everyone is watching, and you don't want anyone to think you're spiritually sick. It's a vicious cycle.
    I have truly been happier since I left the organization than I have ever been. Every aspect of my life has improved.

cb

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The first time I went to a KH, I was blown away by how everyone was standing around talking and laughing and seemingly as happy as could be. Same with the first convention I attended.

It is only when you've been in for a bit that you realize the happiness is not real. But they blame that on Satan like they do everything else. Half the congos are on prozac anymore.

• noidea
    noidea

Great Post Myself...*there you go again making me sound like the cheese has slide off my cracker.

Anyway, maybe they are unhappy because they are taught that there is no happiness on this side of paradise..if you are a JW and happy... as CB said, you are being selfish and not doing enough.

If a JW finds happiness on this side, they may as Lot's wife did and turn back and long for what they had..*that was reasoning my mother used as to not strive for anything in a material way or to down someone that did. They lacked faith.

I imagine it is hard for those not familiar with the strict observation and the no-no's to the one's that are disfellowshiped to even relate to what it's all about..I think it's great that it's being exposed for what it is.

~~~Noi~~~

Member of the: I have ~No-Idea~ class.

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

I was pretty happy as a JW. Shit happens but oh well. I thnk it is just that I am pretty much oblivious to everything around me. Time just sorta passes. Life like totally kicks ass. Even for some witnesses.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Good thread.

Coffee

That was me exctly, as well. But i did look happy at the kingdom halls and assemblies. Being in groups like that does kind of distract one from the inner unhappiness.

As well, in 30 yrs of dubdom, i never dealt w any issues including my anger at childhood neglect and abuse. Post-wt, dealing with this childhood stuff, going for therapy, jw's could point their fingers, saying, 'see what happens to one who leaves jehovah'. Therapy generally isn't pretty, but over the long run, it makes better people. Or, should is say it make people better.

SS

• Soledad
    Soledad

If they are so happy why so many WT and Awake articles about depression??

• graceabounds
    graceabounds

Hmmm....
    Not as happy as they appear. I saw alot of REALLY happy people, too, at an assembly last Fall. This was a couple of months after
    I first began studying. I thought....what a wonderful group of
    people!!! Always so kind...
    (Ignoring the main theme of the lecture..."Having a Healthy Fear
    of Jehovah")
    Well....never mind that. Onward....into oblivion. Where I had
    to have a healthy fear, and my kids had fear....I can't remember
    being afraid of God at 7 years old. I felt close to God then...
    and how could anyone, child or adult, be close to God....when they are afraid of him?
    HATE....worldly things/people.
    FEAR.....of Jehovah.
    HATE....all that is bad.
    FEAR....of disfellowship.
    Hate and fear and hate and fear.....I can sure see how they would be happy!!!

graceabounds

"For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." But if you bite and devour one another take heed that you are not consumed by one another.-Gal 5:14,15

• rmayer32
    rmayer32

They are programmed to think they're happy regardless if they are or not. It's really an amazing thing.

-Rick

• dobby
    dobby

I think the majority are not happy and I have noticed so many witnesses are really depressed. But no wonder when you consider the stuff they are told.

I remember a talk when a CO told us: if you are comfortable and you are not struggling-something is wrong with your life. we are not to be comfortable in this system, we must be self sacrificing and exert ourselves vigourously or we will become complacent and risk losing everlasting life.

Translation: Get the hell out there and find new members you lazy fools or you will die die die.

It's one thing to sacrifice something for someone we love or to help a stranger in need, it's another thing to beat yourself up to the point you have no joy in life. Even those who chose a life of complete servitude (i.e. Mother Theresa) keep on doing it because it makes them happy not because of fear or destruction or as a cure for depression.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit