JW.ORG Logo Denied Trademark Status by United States Patent and Trademark Office

by jwleaks 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Is it just me? Does no one else think it is significant that they are trying to trademark a logo that is different from the one they are actually using? The dot is in the wrong place. And in a trademarked logo, that little change is significant, I think.

I think it was just an accident because they are idiots!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I'm with ADCMS.

How did Holy Spirit not see this coming?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really beginning to wonder if Holy Spirit has anything to do with this organization!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

FYI everone: Copyrights, Patents and Trademarks are NOT the same thing.

Trademark, Patent, or Copyright?

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/basics/definitions.jsp

A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol, and/or design that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others. A service mark is a word, phrase, symbol, and/or design that identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than goods. The term “trademark” is often used to refer to both trademarks and service marks.

Must all marks be registered? No, but federal registration has several advantages, including a notice to the public of the registrant's claim of ownership of the mark, a legal presumption of ownership nationwide, and the exclusive right to use the mark on or in connection with the goods or services set forth in the registration.

A patent is a limited duration property right relating to an invention, granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office in exchange for public disclosure of the invention.

A copyright protects works of authorship, such as writings, music, and works of art that have been tangibly expressed.

The Trademark Operation of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) handles trademarks only. For information on patents, please visit Patents or contact 800-786-9199. For information on copyrights, please contact the U.S. Copyright Office (a division of the Library of Congress).

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I don't get it!?!

How are these confusingly similar?

JWP

JW.org

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

How did Holy Spirit not see this coming?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really beginning to wonder if Holy Spirit has anything to do with this organization!

It is so obvious that the JW religion is man made and run by men.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Oubliette: I don't know about you guys, but I'm really beginning to wonder if Holy Spirit has anything to do with this organization!

Give it time to prove itself...WT has only been around for 133 years.

(6,000+ years if you count Abel as the first Jehovah's Witness). LOL.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Are they really asking a worldly organisation(patent office) permission to protect from use by anyone else, a logo which part of contains the most sacred name of their god?

Which scripture is this reasoning based on?

These people are mixed up , deluded , conning charlatans!!!!

• BobFlanagan007
    BobFlanagan007

At Oubliette - 1) they use almost the same typeface. 2) the JWPlayer logo usually doesn't feature the JW squiggle to it's left. 3) both logos are usually white text on a black background. 4) jw.org is pretty similar to jwplayer.com. 5) both are providing web based download and streaming services. IMO that sounds like good grounds to deny them the trademark, which as pointed out above is different from denying them copyright of jw.org

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

stuckinarut

They can legally use the TM designiation.

Do federal regulations govern the use of the designations "TM" or "SM" or the ® symbol?

If you claim rights to use a mark, you may use the "TM" (trademark) or "SM" (service mark) designation to alert the public to your claim of a “common-law” mark. No registration is necessary to use a "TM" or "SM" symbol and you may continue to use these symbols even if the USPTO refuses to register your mark. Those symbols put people on notice that you claim rights in the mark, although common law doesn't give you all the rights and benefits of federal registration.

You may only use the federal registration symbol "®" after the USPTO actually registers a mark, not while an application is pending. And it may only be used on or in connection with the goods/services listed in the federal trademark registration and while the registration is still alive (you may not continue to use it if you don’t maintain the registration or it expires). Although there are no specific requirements on where the symbol should be placed relative to the mark, most businesses use the symbol in the upper right corner of the mark. Note: Because several foreign countries use “®” to indicate that a mark is registered in that country, use of the symbol by the holder of a foreign registration may be proper.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The fix is to think of a new logo. WTS is trying to get a new brand, since "Watchtower" and "Jehovh's Witness" are trashed. How about www.WTF.org (for Watchtower Friends, of course).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit