Please don't feed the trolls.

by nicolaou 44 Replies latest members private

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Bigmac; I reckon most of us can spot the difference between a naive newbie and a pot-stirring troll, but your point is fair.

• xchange
    xchange

I belong to a few other forums and I think it is always a wise thing to allow a new poster some time before any accusations ring out. Benefit of the doubt, up to a point. Usually a key thing in spotting a person trolling is that they don't address the counterarguments. They will simply brush it aside and continue with their rhetoric. That's the advantages of just reading actively versus posting actively, you can spot it out. Once you engage someone, it can be a tough thing to spot the trollish tendencies. Especialy when everyone else joins the fun. One thing however, it makes for good sport ;)

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

An article on the scientific study of the "troll personality" from a few months back. Pretty interesting.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/seriouslyscience/2014/02/17/scientific-analysis-internet-trolls-finds-yes-theyre-actually-psychopaths/

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Something else to add on this:

Without realizing it, my dear (barf) JW mother used to constantly "troll" me. . . Not over the Internet, but on the phone.

Basically, she would describe to me some outrageous situation she got herself into, for example: "Oh BOC, some telemarketer called me on the phone and asked me for my SSID and I gave it to him. I think my identity was stolen!"

This kind of statement would elicit a "rant" from me: "What in the hell are you doing!!!! Oh my god. .. Etc etc. . . "

My dear wife, in her infinite wisdom, advised me I was merely feeding into my mother's narcissistic control-freak personality by doing this. It would be better off if I did not respond emotionally, but either ignore it, or act nonchalant.

For example, my new response to my mother's situation might be: "Oh I wouldn't worry about it. Hey this is some nice weather we're having, ain't it?"

Let me tell you: THIS WORKS. No more nutty calls.

In other words, don't feed the troll, and the troll goes away.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Can we just poke them... ya know, like with a stick, just once?

• designs
    designs

but but

• Heaven
  • DJS
    DJS

bigmac,

Perhaps you are the last poster on a thread because your intelligent, rational comment put a nice, pretty bow on the discussion and no one can add or subtract from it!!!! If so, that's a good thing!

Or it could be because you have a personality type where you always have to be right and have the final say!!!! If so, that's probably not a good thing!!

Since you are still around and are being quoted and responded to, it isn't likely that others think you a troll!

For me, I try to avoid trolls at all times.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

sometimes I don't know it's a troll till i fed it :(

• Heaven
    Heaven

Found Sheep said: sometimes I don't know it's a troll till i fed it :(

Yeah, they can be kinda like Mogwais that way.

Gizmo Mogwai

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit