Why do the 'friends' believe Elders over Experts

by FriendlyFellaAL 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

LDH

Oh yeah! One Dumbass scripture. I forgot that one and the way you put it makes me really pause. Jesus freakin Christ. All those things we toss out because of hundreds of dumb ass scriptures.

• termite 35
    termite 35

Because Elders are appointed by holy spirit ,apparently, and therefore are qualified to cock up your life.If you follow their advice and it works there's your proof...
    If it dos'nt...your attitude is probably wrong...and they've given you another problem in the process to add to the first one...blah, blah...

• Satanus
    Satanus

Out4good3

hives
    That's good. Reminds me of one of frank herbert's early books called helstroms hive (originally project 41). In the story, regular human society was no match for a hand full of hive humans.

SS

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

How would we expect anyone to act when the literature, the main and sometimes only, thing one reads contains statements such the following?

*** g99 4/22 6 Is Reconciliation Possible? ***
    In view of the many factors that can be considered, it may be beneficial to seek the assistance of an experienced and balanced counselor. Jehovah’s Witnesses, for example, have access to kind and compassionate congregation elders.—James 5:13-15.

*** g98 1/22 8 Learning to Let Go ***
    At times, you may need some advice or support. Seek it from Christian elders …..

*** g98 1/22 21 What If My Parents Oppose My Marriage? ***
    Among Jehovah’s Witnesses, congregation elders can be called upon for assistance in settling family problems. Without taking sides, they can help family members talk matters out in a calm, peaceful, and productive way.—James 3:18.

*** g97 1/22 12 Should I Confess My Sin? ***
    Elders are primarily healers, not punishers. They are obliged to treat God’s people with kindness and dignity. They want to help you make “straight paths for your feet.”—Hebrews 12:13.

*** g97 4/8 24-5 Can a Marriage Be Saved After Infidelity? ***
    Those who are Jehovah’s Witnesses may want to request assistance from the congregation elders. Of course, for Christians, serious sins such as adultery must immediately be confessed to the elders, who are concerned with the spiritual welfare of the couple and the congregation.

*** g96 1/22 16 What Should I Do if a Friend Gets Into Trouble? ***
    To keep matters secret could kill him spiritually—and adversely affect the congregation. You therefore have an obligation to see to it that the congregation elders are informed.

*** g96 1/22 16 What Should I Do if a Friend Gets Into Trouble? ***
    Johnny asked his friend to step outside and strongly recommended that he seek help from the elders in the congregation.

*** g96 10/22 9 From Words That Hurt to Words That Heal ***
    The elders may be able to facilitate communication between the husband and the wife.

*** g95 1/8 10 Burnout-How Can You Cope? ***
    Christians who have problems can find refreshment by talking with the elders of the congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

*** g95 3/8 27 Abortion-Is It the Answer? ***
    Most important, they can encourage the erring one to receive needed spiritual help from the congregation elders.

*** g94 6/8 18 How Can I Stop Liking Someone? ***
    Congregation elders can be “like a hiding place from the wind and a place of concealment from the rainstorm” for distressed ones.

No matter what ails you, just turn to the elders. Don't you want to entrust your mental, social and physical health to the best dressed window washers and janitors in the world?
  • simplesally
    simplesally

Any man would be FOOLISH to not go to the elders.

The fault of the marriage will be because the WOMAN did not correctly apply the headship arrangement. She was not obediant, submissive nor a good housewife! Thats why men love to go to the elders for "help"!!

• Introspection
    Introspection

Brian, do you mind saying what the problem is? Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that he's a non-believer?

• Xander
    Xander

Couple scriptures they usually throw out RE: seeking 'professional' help (not quotes from the NWT, don't have one handy...[8>]):

1 Corinthians 1:20
    Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

1 Corinthians 3:19
    For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight.

2 Corinthians 1:12
    We have done so not according to worldly wisdom but according to God's grace.

Now, granted, when penned, it could be argued some of the biblical teachings on cleanliness were more 'advanced' than the contemporary practices of the day.

However, I think these also serve as a good proof the bible is NOT inspired. Is anything, AT ALL, in the bible written to be so wise that it makes man's 21st century level of knowledge 'foolish'?

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit