How important do you believe education and knowledge is?

by new hope and happiness 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mum
    Mum

When I was growing up, I was surrounded by family and neighbors who were minimally educated. My grandparents topped out at 5th grade; my parents 6th and 9th grades. My grandparents had to leave school to work on the farm. I respect their hard work and their skills and knowledge. They grew food from the ground up, so to speak. They could make butter, make soap (from fireplace ash, pig fat, and other ingredients I don't know), kill a chicken and make it edible, preserve food (there was a smokehouse for meat, and glass jars for canning), care for a multitude of animals, and many other skills which have been lost by most of us now. Despite their lack of education, I can honestly state that they knew as much as or more than many college graduates today.

They wanted me to be educated. It took 20 years, but I did get a B.A. degree. I make high scores on standardized tests, but I can't hold a candle to my grandparents!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I wanted my children to be well educated and they are.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance!

• DJS
    DJS

Oh Gawd, Caedes,

Nice posts. Thanks.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

I have a friend who is dyslestic so getting good grades comes with difficulty, but can he create some fantastic ART work without any teachers or education.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Intellience comes in many forms. Being "book smart" is only one kind of intelligence. I can probably beat you at any word game, but if we go head to head explaining the inner workings of my car, I will most definitely lose. (What makes the engine run? I turn it on and step on the gas!)

"If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

For me i think i have learnt there is a world of difference between knowledge, intelligence and intelect, and i think a humble disposition and humor is a greater attraction than education and vocabulry.

Yes, I'm having surgery next week and I thought the surgeon's disposittion (sic) & cents of humor (sic) were more important than his education and knowledge of internal medicine.

It's my understanding that spiritual men like the Governing Body choose their surgeons according to how many pioneer hours they have achieved. After all, I think that's the same standard they use for selecting Committee Heads on the RBC Building Committees and speakers at Cir/Dist Assemblies.

Doc

• jgnat
    jgnat

Don't forget the value of experience. My surgeon had conducted thousands of surgeries of the kind I am going for. That's what sold me. His bedside manner leaves a little to be desired, but then again I am banking on his technical acuity.

• done4good
    done4good

The argument positioning "educated" vs. "just being a good person", (with good humor or whatever), is a false dilemma. There are good and not so good people with and without a good education.

Having said that, almost everything I learned that improved my life, (including as a human being towards others), had to do with education of some sort. Most educated people actually do develop a proper sense of ethics and morality. They are generally deeper thinkers, and at least try to make conscientious decisions. Education teaches a person critical thinking and rational thought. Nothing really of any lasting good comes from irrationality.

Given a choice, I would take an educated world anyday.

d4g

• Magnum
    Magnum

I agree with Frazzled UBM, Oubliette, nonjwspouse, jgnat, revdip2000, James Brown, Caedes, Oh Gawd, DesirousOfChange, done4good, and any others who said education is important.

OP questions: How educated are you? And how great is your vocabularly ect ....?

I consider myself highly educated, not because of formal education, but because I love to learn and have the capacity to do so. Vocabulary is not as important to me as are logic, comprehension, grammar, mechanics of language, etc. So I’ve never really tried to increase my vocabulary; I’d rather study grammar or linguistics or logic.

Education to me is extremely important. Arrogance and whether a person is likeable are separate issues. Uneducated people and/or people of lower intelligence can be just as arrogant or more so than educated ones.

If a person is going to be arrogant, then he might as well be educated. I couldn’t stand the men in my congregation who were know-it-alls, but knew nothing and those were who tried to display intellect, but were just idiots.

I think that all humans should strive to be educated for the right reasons. I admire and am fascinated with the great intellectuals in history. The Renaissance fascinates me. To me, education – seeking, learning, understanding – is one of the things that should define humans. And I do judge people on the basis of education – not whether they have degrees, but whether they have the desire to learn and they act on that desire.

One of my favorite quotes is this: “An educated man is one who is aware of what he does not know.” That is so true. A lot of people (if not most people) don't know what they don't know. The more one learns, the more he is aware of what all there is that he does not know. The old hillbilly might think he knows it all; he knows everything about the mountain he lives on, but he’s never been off the mountain, so he’s not aware of what all is beyond his tiny realm. Therefore, he’s uneducated.

My mother thinks that ninth grade algebra is advanced math. Some years ago, my mother’s cousin told me, upon finding out that I liked and did well in math, that I should be an accountant. So neither has any clue what math is all about. The more I learn about math, the more I realize how much I don’t know. I am more and more aware of how much there is that I don’t know. I realize there are fields of math like topology and number theory concerning which I’m ignorant, but my mother and her cousin don’t even know such fields exist, so they’re uneducated.

I want to know and understand it all – not to show off, but because I enjoy learning and knowing and I find education and knowledge vastly useful and stimulating. I’d want to be educated if I were the only person on earth – if there were nobody else that could even know that I was educated.

I hear some people say “nobody will ever use that” referring to some type of math or something. I’m thinking how do you know when you don’t even understand it. I have found my knowledge of math, science, language, etc. to be vastly useful, but even if it wasn’t, I still find it just satisfying to have. [Here’s a math problem I encountered the other day that exemplifies the use of some of the math that people say one will never use: I had about a gallon of gas and oil mixed at a 50:1 ratio for my string trimmer. I needed fuel for my chain saw, but the mixture for it should be 40:1. I poured 8 ounces of the 50:1 mix in a cup and needed to know how much oil to add to make it 40:1. That dang math is useful.]

To me, education doesn’t have to be acquired in a formal setting. I’ve known a number of people who graduated from college, but couldn’t half a recipe (didn’t know what half of a third was) or who had no clue what the difference between an adverb and adjective was. One can teach himself, so there’s no excuse to me for one’s not being educated (unless he legitimately just doesn’t have the brain power).

I’m the type that wants to know the “why” of everything. For example, I want to learn to weld. But I don’t want to just have somebody show me how. I want to know what’s going on at the molecular level. I want to know metallury. I want to know microscopically what’s going on when metals are annealed and tempered and hardened. Knowledge is power. It opens up doors. It can save lives.

So, again, I think education is vastly important.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit