How important do you believe education and knowledge is?

by new hope and happiness 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

How educated are you? And how great is your vocabularly ect ....?

Do you think ir right to judge people by how intelligent/ educated they are and how much vocabulary they use???

How important is it to YOU in comming across intelligent to others ?

For me i think i have learnt there is a world of difference between knowledge, intelligence and intelect, and i think a humble disposition and humor is a greater attraction than education and vocabulry.

• jhine
    jhine

reasonable well educated , fair vocabulary . No , we should not judge others on those criteria .

Depends on who I am talking to . If I feel that the other person does judge on those lines then I suppose that I do , or in a situation dealing say with a professional person who feels superior then yes , I may try to muster all my best words to show that I am not inferior . Generally though I just like to "gel " with whoever I am talking to and find each person interesting as an individual ..

Yes your last comment is spot on .

Jan

• Mephis
  • new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Great minds think alike Jan!!

Anyway i must say i value acurate knowledge highly because it can bring about consciousness : consciousness of the world and its people and about ones self as well.

I must say i often find people with an education who lack humility often use critical judgement rather than discerning judgement ( i noticed this with many elders in the congregation) and i think this lacks compassion.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

interesting post Mephis, Oh and welcome to the board, a wealth of education and knowledge.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I do not like education snobs or intellectual bullies.

I grew up in a very poor family, my parents were not educated (not JWs) and I experienced first hand

how it handicapped them and their children.

I envied those that had the opportunity to get a decent education, still do.

I do believe though that intelligence and talent comes in many forms, and I try not judge people based

on education or IQ because I know how much it hurts.

I try to treat people as human beings first, even the dull or the ignorant (I include myself there).

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Not everyone has the opportunity to be well educated or articulated. Saying that, an enquiring mind will teach you everything about life and people. I believe it's called the University of Life.

I came from a normal working class home. I went to university, only because my Dad made me but I loved it. I'm not a great academic but I loved the English language, reading, writing short stories and poems. I also love travel. I worked as a Flight Attendant to fuel my travel bug. I loved meeting people and arriving in New countries. I love food, wildlife and nature.

I've been lucky.

• zeb
    zeb

"Never look down on those who look up to you." Mahomed Ali.

Personal vocab? This built up by what you watch what you read.

Look up any new word you come across in a dictionary and you will learn at least four new words.

My late granda as a child emigrant had little formal education but eductated herself by doing cross-words. Her little dictionary was ancient and worn out when i saw it.

• Mephis
    Mephis

Sorry New Hope, I deleted my post. If you did see it, then I hope you can appreciate that in the attitudes encouraged towards education, many things tend to get thrown towards those who disagree with those views and the whole subject can lead to responses which may be a little too passionate, and I couldn't find the delete button. (If you didn't, it wasn't rude, just too noisy!).

And thank you. It has certainly been an eye-opening few days.

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

To me, education is everything. My kids are being cheated. Church isn't a place to be scared shickless, its a place to read the King James Version so that you're ready to read Shakespeare by the time you're in High School, or a place to learn Greek or Hebrew and how to if that's you're background, or a place to learn music. The lack of a cultural element in the Jehovah's Witnesses is what shocks me. The Jehovah's Witnesses is a place to learn sales techniques. I was a telemarketer once upon a time and I hate salesmen!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit